Vote for Evil Urges - Best CDs of the Year

Started by Tieoptional, Jun 27, 2008, 07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tieoptional

Best CDs of the Year (So Far) on NPR here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/06/take_the_poll_best_cds_of_the.html

Evil Urges is listed there already. Just scroll down in the list to find it alphabetically under "My Morning Jacket."

You can only vote once, but pass it on to your friends and family. Voting ends July 2.

Finally, you can also put the poll on your site blog or facebook page by clicking the share button at the bottom of the list on the NPR site. Maybe it could be added here? Or make this a "temporary" sticky.

The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

lisaskye

Bigsky

Killgies

Some really good albums have came out this year. Of Course the Jacket gets my vote! Bon Iver may come in 2nd so far.

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Sherpa

Voted. They arent doing too shabby thus far. Death Cab seems to have it pretty wrapped up though.

Love Dogg

Come on, guys.  Make sure you vote.   Right now MMJ is getting beat out by Death Cab and Coldplay and a couple of others.  We can't let that happen.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

marino13

Went with:

MMJ
Raconteurs
Black Keys
Sigur Ros
Elbow

EU is still growing on me, but so far nothing tops The Raconteurs new one for me this year.  Just hits everything I'm loving about music right now and a great summer album.  Can't wait to see them at Lolla.

BH

Only four albums ahead of EU.  That's pretty good eh?  Not going to catch Coldplay I'm sure, but maybe we can get it to come in 2nd.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

blueskyink

The Black Keys is actually my favorite release so far but MMJ are a close second, although I did vote for MMJ in the poll.

My favorites of the year are:

The Black Keys - Attack & Release
MMJ - EU
Black Mountain - Into the Future
The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Howlin' Rain - Magnificent Fiend
Sun Kil Moon - April (really beautiful album)
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash

So far it's been a really good year for music.

Coltrane

Man! those Death Cab kids really come out in droves, don't they?!?
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

blueskyink

What about Vampire Weekend, they are only a few hundred behind. VW was one of the least entertaining releases of this year for me, over hyped indie pop, although I don't always care for indie pop.  They also sucked at Bonnaroo, I left after 4 songs that sounded the exact same.

Honest Man

Don't let us lose to Death Cab for Cunty! That would stink on ice.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

The DARK

I voted EU and Dig Lazarus Dig!!!. I wasn't aware you could pick more at the time.
In another time, in another place, in another face

buymycar

I'm going to get skewered for this, but at this point, I like Narrow Stairs better than Evil Urges.  I really wasn't expecting that to happen.

The DARK

QuoteI'm going to get skewered for this, but at this point, I like Narrow Stairs better than Evil Urges.  I really wasn't expecting that to happen.

Personal taste, I know. But it seems strange, it seems that most Death Cab fans have been dissapointed by recent effotrts. Narrow Stairs to me has its moments, like the opening track, but the lyrics are just getting embarrasing. The songwriting in many places is actually regressing to teenage confessionals. I do like it better than Plans, though.

Evil Urges, on the other hand, shows loads of potential for MMJ's future. Librarian is new songwriting ground for Jim, and it shows that they can successfuly meld funk and R&B into their studio work. Just my two cents.
In another time, in another place, in another face

buymycar

QuoteI'm going to get skewered for this, but at this point, I like Narrow Stairs better than Evil Urges.  I really wasn't expecting that to happen.

Personal taste, I know. But it seems strange, it seems that most Death Cab fans have been dissapointed by recent effotrts. Narrow Stairs to me has its moments, like the opening track, but the lyrics are just getting embarrasing. The songwriting in many places is actually regressing to teenage confessionals. I do like it better than Plans, though.

Evil Urges, on the other hand, shows loads of potential for MMJ's future. Librarian is new songwriting ground for Jim, and it shows that they can successfuly meld funk and R&B into their studio work. Just my two cents.

I totally agree about your assessment about Evil Urges.  I love how it begins.  The first five tracks are amazing.  I also love how it ends.  That Smokin' From Shooting -> Touch Me pt 2 combo is unbelievably good.  I also like Librarian.  It's the other songs in the middle that kinda leave me a tinge disappointed.  There is just one or two too many slow 70s style songs in there.  I'm talking about Sec Walkin, Two Halves, and Look At You.  They could have broken it up a little bit more by mixing in Aluminum Park or Remnants in between those slower songs.

Maybe the problem is that I had huge expectations for this album after becoming such a huge fan over the past few years that I couldn't help ending up feeling a little bit disappointed.  I'm sure my perspective will change once I experience the tracks live....in September.  That seems like such a long way away right now.

Yeah, Narrow Stairs is a much better album than Plans.  I understand what you're saying, though.  I don't agree 100% with everything Mr. Gibbard writes.  I cannot stand that Styrofoam Plates song from the Photo Album, but it seems most Death Cab fans go gaga for it.

I guess this was a little more than 2 cents worth.  heh

tomEisenbraun

Your money's worth whatever value you give it, buymycar. I find that my two cents normally takes me about as far as it would in the 1920's...

I voted on Evil Urges, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Black Mountain and She & Him. Haven't really heard much of the rest, but I downloaded Vampire Weekend off of eMusic, and I've still got to listen to the whole thing. From what I heard on the mySpace, it sounds like a revamped Graceland, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and certainly sounds fun, but it sounds like they definitely graduated from art school... I'll have more thoughts after I listen through it...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Tieoptional

NPR has extended the voting to July 6.

Evil Urges now in 5th place, with several others nipping at their heels.
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

DaFunkyPrecedent

but nothing, i mean nothing can beat Portishead's Third.   Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  talk about face melt.  
God damn those shaky knees.