female musicians?

Started by Ethel_Rosenberg, Sep 18, 2008, 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethel Bethel

I've never seen or heard of Jim James doing anything with any female musicians. There's a lot of great female musicians out there, but I've never seen him work with any. I've always wondered how it would sound with his amazing falsetto with the voice of a woman.

...besides Erykah Badu.

aMillionDreams

Check out his performance from the Rud last year.  He did about ten songs with Sarah Elizabeth Whitehead.  It was very Gram Parsons/ Emmylou Harris-esque.

Other than that, he sang backup on a Kathleen Edwards song though you can hardly hear him.  There's a picture of him singing with Zoey Deschanel(sp?) from She and Him in this month's Paste magazine from the Newport Folk Fest this year.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

bold99

I'd love to see him onstage with Grace Potter...she's a big fan, she interviewed them and has been seen at a few shows just as a fan..and she rocks.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Clarkwork

He had 3 female back up singers on Conan for Touch me Pt 2
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Love Dogg

QuoteCheck out his performance from the Rud last year.  He did about ten songs with Sarah Elizabeth Whitehead.  It was very Gram Parsons/ Emmylou Harris-esque.

Good call!   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

strangulation

Other than that, he sang backup on a Kathleen Edwards song though you can hardly hear him.  There's a picture of him singing with Zoey Deschanel(sp?) from She and Him in this month's Paste magazine from the Newport Folk Fest this year.[/quote]

Yea, Kathleen Edwards actually came out and sang on Golden with him at Bogart's in Cincinnati a few years back. It was a blast.

BH

I always hoped he would do something with Gillian Welch.  I know they did a cover together a couple years ago but i can't remember what it was.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

CC

QuoteI always hoped he would do something with Gillian Welch.  I know they did a cover together a couple years ago but i can't remember what it was.

they joined bright eyes at the greek for a cover of john prine's all the best.
they also teamed up at bonnaroo 2006.

BH

QuoteI always hoped he would do something with Gillian Welch.  I know they did a cover together a couple years ago but i can't remember what it was.

they joined bright eyes at the greek for a cover of john prine's all the best.
they also teamed up at bonnaroo 2006.

Ahh yes, the greek show with bright eyes.

I totally forgot about bonnaroo 2006.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

How about JJ, Neko Case, and Kelly Hogan singing back up for M Ward?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNNgvWHyZg[/media]

easy way

I've always entertained the idea of Jim pairing up with Ani Difranco. Now that would change the world...mine anyway.  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

fitzcarraldo

QuoteHe had 3 female back up singers on Conan for Touch me Pt 2

They...

One of them was Nicole Atkins. She's lovely.

BH

Found the Gillian Welch "All The Best" on youtube.  Wish I had good audio of this track.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XkeygVKCH0&feature=related[/media]

mjkoehler

Awww Trac, you beat me to it. I would love to see JJ work more with Neko......

ManNamedTruth

QuoteAwww Trac, you beat me to it. I would love to see JJ work more with Neko......

I was gonna say the same. A duet would be cool. Maybe they should just make babies, those kids would have some pipes.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

QuoteAwww Trac, you beat me to it. I would love to see JJ work more with Neko......

I was gonna say the same. A duet would be cool. Maybe they should just make babies, those kids would have some pipes.
I don't know if the world is ready for that kind of awesomeness.

st. john

can't let go of fantasies of jj and grace potter - forever - with her band along for the riffs.

the sun and moon

Come on now, he's not a dog, okay? You can't just breed him to make superior, music-making babies haha.

MyLifeISought

As was previously mentioned, Kathleen Edwards consistently joined the band onstage for "Golden" during the Z tour. I, too, was lucky enough to see this at Bogart's
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

ycartrob

QuoteAs was previously mentioned, Kathleen Edwards consistently joined the band onstage for "Golden" during the Z tour. I, too, was lucky enough to see this at Bogart's

hey, I was at that show