Main Menu

RifRaf Cover

Started by NoRifRaf, Dec 12, 2005, 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRifRaf

Dee.

Now I don't know what the website's saying, but it's fun to pretend.  :)

http://www.rifraf.be/nl-home.htm

What's this mean?
"Straffe band! Frontman Jim James aan het woord! Snel!"

dragonboy

I think the article says something like "My Morning Jacket pretend to be bums hanging out in a dark alley!"  ;)

OF COURSE, I'm SO kidding!!! That is SUCH a cool cover!
Jim's beard in this picture has some fantastic growth to it, does it not?
Man, I miss my facial hair  :'(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Meddle

i agree with the growth... how do i make this-- '' Jim's beard in this picture has some fantastic growth to it, does it not?  '' appear in the grey box so i am responding to your comment>?
...And Some Are Angels...

dragonboy

Quotehow do i make this-- '' Jim's beard in this picture has some fantastic growth to it, does it not?  '' appear in the grey box so i am responding to your comment>?

Click on quote above that persons post instead of reply.
You can then edit whatever is in the brackets to quote certain parts if you don't want or need everything that is written.
Does that make sense?
 :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

he looks almost lost in his facial hair... must be the angle of the photo, but it almost doesn't look like jim...

i put "Straffe band! Frontman Jim James aan het woord! Snel!" into google to translate & this is apparently what it means...

Straffe link! front man Jim James speaking! Rapidly!"

that helped didn't it!?!?!  :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ali

gotta love internet translations - the first paragraph on that website reads:

Not only change the composition of the link, also the sound of the group was firmly taken under hands. My Morning jacket are no longer the lofi seventies countryrockband of the debuut ' The Tennessee Fire ' nor the softcowboygroep of the morning plate ' ate Dawn '. What we on ' z ' have heard, did you ask? Beach Boys-harmoniëen, spun out gitaarjams, a song which on an album of The Flaming could Lips stand, dopy kozakkenwals, ingetogen slotsong which burst open entirely and skank-track those in a perfect manner The Clash and TV tune-gitarentune-gitaren tune-gitaren lets abound in instrumental, dubby pink Floyd-outro. Straffe link! front man Jim James speaking! Rapidly!

i've no idea what "dopy kozakkenwals" is, but it sounds great!  
any dutch speakers out there?? ;D

dragonboy

Sorry to go off topic but this is pretty funny.
The parents of my students sometimes write me notes or send me emails that have been put through a translator.
I get stuff like "Fall has turned deeply & come hard with coldness. Today Shunsuke is failing to sickness of the ear, nose & throat and will today be not coming to Mr. Andrew's Class. With great sadness & reget, Mum of Shunsuke"
 ;D

ali

do the kids call you mr. andrew too? that's pretty funny ! :)

Dee.

QuoteFall has turned deeply & come hard with coldness.
That's poetry!

:)

CC

any dutch speakers out there?? ;D

actually it's belgian, one of my favourite languages. it's dutch but with a lot of wacky changes thrown in, just to puzzle their neighbours.

'straffe band' - in dutch it would mean something like 'punishing band'. see? they're puzzled. in belgian however it means 'this band kicks ass as hell'.

'dopy kozakkenwals' means 'dopey russian gypsy waltz'

tomEisenbraun

hhahaha, gypsy waltz. frickin A.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ali

do you mean flemish? i don't think there is actually a language called "belgian" as such... as far as i can tell, flemish is a local variation of dutch

Chills

Quotedo you mean flemish? i don't think there is actually a language called "belgian" as such... as far as i can tell, flemish is a local variation of dutch

Right

ali

hey chills - is that right??

Chills

Yeah, it's perfect.
Dutch is the official language, Flemish is a general term for our regional (Belgian) variety, which in turn has a lot of varieties of it's own.

ali

cool. just wanted to make sure... how's the weather in belgium at the moment? it's rainy & crap here (melbourne)

Chills

It's pretty cold over here, no rain or snow though.
By the way it's 22.30 pm and pretty dark! How late is it in Melbourne?

ali

it's actually friday morning here 8.40am...

Chills

Haha, enjoy your coffee!

I'm going to sleep now, have a nice day  :)