Pitchfork Top 50

Started by getinthevan, Dec 19, 2008, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getinthevan

First off, sorry if this has already been discussed, I did a quick scan of threads and didn't see it.

While taking a break from putting things in boxes, I decided to look through Pitchfork's Top 50 albums of this year.  

MMJ wasn't on it.

I also looked through their 20 honorable mentions and it wasn't there either.

I know Pitchfork doesn't give a whole lot of love to the Jacket, but not even one of their top 70 albums of the year?  Damn.  If it weren't landing on so many other Top 10 lists I wouldn't be so surprised.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

xmascriminal

Pitchfork sucks. Maybe it's just that they disagree with my taste in music, but I've almost never read a positive review on there.

BH

MMJ are way too popular now for Pitchfork to admit they like them.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

Pitchfork has always had it out for MMJ.  The album that the ranked the highest out of all their releases was the At dawn/TF Demos and they still only gave it a 6.something

I think they must think it helps their street cred but it really just hurts their credibility.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

wigglydays

QuotePitchfork has always had it out for MMJ.  The album that the ranked the highest out of all their releases was the At dawn/TF Demos and they still only gave it a 6.something

I think they must think it helps their street cred but it really just hurts their credibility.

While I agree pitchfork has never show a ton of love towards to MMJ, they gave ISM- 8.3 and Z- 7.6

DaFunkyPrecedent

....maybe it's because Evil Urges isn't that great of an album.  I mean, I love it because I love My Morning Jacket, and Rolling Stone loves it because they LOVE My Morning Jacket, but for the unconverted, Evil Urges wasn't anything THAT special.  

Don't hate on pitchfork because they don't like some of the bands  you do.  They are constantly reviewing interesting and compelling music.  And when they give something an 8.5 or higher, you can almost always guarantee it's going to be AMAZING.  It's people like pitchfork that will propel bands to become better.  Read the review they wrote of Evil Urges again - it's hard not to agree with them on some of their points.  
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteMMJ are way too popular now for Pitchfork to admit they like them.

Just so you know, popular has nothing to do with pitchfork liking something or not.  Lil' Wayne for example, is their favorite thing in the whole fuckin' world.  
God damn those shaky knees.