Okay, peoples, I know what MMJ should do...

Started by songdiver, Jan 16, 2009, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

songdiver

I don't know if any of y'all have ever thought of this, but I've been obsessed with the idea of MMJ making their next album be not just a studio album, and not just a live album...BUT BOTH!!!!!!!!

I don't know what these guys could do at this point except for just push it all the way to outer space.  Not even the Beatles could pull off this monster feat.  The album that was eventually Let It Be was supposed to be a live performance, recorded and then released as a live/studio LP.  Great idea, but I think only our boys could pull this off.  This would also end any argument about who the best band in the world is...No critic would even want to attempt to rate such an album...b/c we know what MMJ does to us live!!!

Let's keep this a secret, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim and the gang actually thought of this idea already and are working on it.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

ritchiem4812

There has been a lot of studio/live albums in the past. My favorites are the Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach and the Byrds - Untitled. Great albums.

And I'm up for anything MMJ wants to do.

songdiver

no, no, no,

sorry, i was unclear.

I shouldn't have used the word studio.  NO studio.  I am talking about working on new material, practicing, and then performing all the songs in the same track order they would have been if it were done in the studio and put on a cd.  Record that concert and then release it just as you would for at dawn, it still moves, etc.

I don't think this has ever been done before, but i could be wrong.

As long as the recording quality is as good as OKONOKOS, then this would be quite a musical achievement.

xmascriminal

That's actually a really good idea. Okonokos is the best album for new fans because of the energy you get naturally from a live performance, so a new album recorded that way would probably be a huge commercial breakthrough. All you'd have to do is cut out the audience noise.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteThat's actually a really good idea. Okonokos is the best album for new fans because of the energy you get naturally from a live performance, so a new album recorded that way would probably be a huge commercial breakthrough. All you'd have to do is cut out the audience noise.

Actually, I'm sort of envisioning a really indulgent Live At Pompeii set-up. Not crowd, just band thrashing it up in the middle of a busted-ass coliseum. Yay/nay?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ritchiem4812

QuoteThat's actually a really good idea. Okonokos is the best album for new fans because of the energy you get naturally from a live performance, so a new album recorded that way would probably be a huge commercial breakthrough. All you'd have to do is cut out the audience noise.

Actually, I'm sort of envisioning a really indulgent Live At Pompeii set-up. Not crowd, just band thrashing it up in the middle of a busted-ass coliseum. Yay/nay?

Yay. I really like MMJ's studio albums and their live shows because it's like having two different versions of everything.

songdiver

I love MMJ's studio work, but there is one important thing lacking.  THE ENERGY.  In the studio, you cannot recreate the atmosphere of the live show, and Jim's voice is never as powerful.  I have been listening to other live shows from great performers: The Hold Steady, Spoon, Stephen Malkmus, Conor Oberst, etc, and they all sound great live, but Jim is even bigger than all these other names and new fans deserve to have this captured so they understand the soul inside the singer.

I don't even know what I'm saying...Jim just rocks so hard when he has the energy from the crowd and the studio can never do justice to his range.  The people need this and feed on it.  Wow, I am rambling.

Jaimoe

Interesting concept. It sounds similar to Rust Never Sleeps and Kick Out The Jams as live albums of strictly new material. Of course, many bands record their albums live in the studio and release their subsequent albums with very little if any tweaks. The White Stripes and Black Keys have recorded some of their studio albums live with little or no over-dubs. And many classic jazz albums and blues recordings were done live on the spot, but are studio recordings.

ultravisitor

They should do whatever they want to do.  I'm more interested in hearing what they come up with than feeding them ideas.

el_chode

Should we expect a trip to india with western influences on a kickass double album? I'd like to see that's effect on Cobra.

A MMJ album in the vein of Physical Graffiti would just be unreal. I'd love to hear them cover In The Light or 10 Years Gone, or even better, create their own, modern equivalents to them.
I'm surrounded by assholes

stevenflow1989

Interesting idea, but I would miss the depth a record would have. An example would be the opening of At Dawn, you wouldn't be able to recreate the quiet sounds into the build up/crazy noises, etc. You wouldn't be able to dub over anything you want.

How about a new album and a few months later an offical release of the album live? :)

It does sound similar to Neil though, if not Rust Never Sleeps, then Time Fades Away I think? Not positive on that.

songdiver

fine, I'll settle for a double album.  no, triple album.  Their own Sandinista!

MickeyReds

I agree
As long as you keep a straight face...