Anybody else really admire jim and the guys for...

Started by PhriendlyMMJPhan, Jan 05, 2009, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

...covering those classic soul songs almost all other American bands are afraid to touch and playing them well at that?  Curtis, Marvin, Sam Cooke, James Brown, etc.  there are no barriers.  these dudes have got some balls.  the NYE selections spells b-a-l-l-s.  even with repeats, a less skilled group of musicians would get pelted with glowsticks.

disclaimer: throwing glowsticks at a band is bad, period.  unless it's john mayer.  

el_chode

those glowsticks are great when used properly.

but yes, i appreciate it. it has broadened my personal horizons numerous times. i still think the ballsiest was covering Bread. But Jim pulls that off perfectly.

a big part of it is knowing when and when not to play a cover, and what cover to play. this aspect is also mastered. choosing to open with a cover takes balls, and they pulled that one off perfectly.
I'm surrounded by assholes

kydiddle

Very well put!

I love the fact that they put that music out there. Those songs aren't forgotten by any means, but they aren't exactly on my current playlist since I'm always trying to find something new. I know that  a couple I had to think about who sang them originally (derrrr), but I LOVE the guys for stirring up the desire to dig out old music like that. How many modern bands do that?
Cow temperature.

bold99

Yeah I was really happy they didn't do the Zeppelin or classic rock covers.  Its been done over and over.  Love the Soul stuff.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ALady

Well...I wouldn't have minded a little Zep...    :(

One indicator of a great band, IMO, is a) their choice in cover songs, coupled with b) their ability to make them their own.  The Jacket succeed on both points.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ghostess on TV

a big part of it is knowing when and when not to play a cover, and what cover to play. this aspect is also mastered. choosing to open with a cover takes balls, and they pulled that one off perfectly.

I didn't really think of that.  Opening with a cover..  That is pretty awesome.  You don't see that too often.

Sassbox

Opening with a cover.

I totally called this...and someone has it on videotape.! Unfortunately, I have no idea who that someone is other than they were at Sunswick.

And this and a nickel will get me nothing.  Sigh. :P
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

kydiddle

Opening with a cover.

I totally called this...and someone has it on videotape.! Unfortunately, I have no idea who that someone is other than they were at Sunswick.

You told me that before the show started. I called Evil Urges and you said, 'Nah, they'll open with a cover.' It was verrrrrrry Ms. Cleo the way you predicted it:

But seriously. I can vouch for you.
Cow temperature.

Sassbox

Opening with a cover.

You told me that before the show started. I called Evil Urges and you said, 'Nah, they'll open with a cover.' It was verrrrrrry Ms. Cleo the way you predicted it:

But seriously. I can vouch for you.

One can always count on The Diddle.  :)
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

heynow1

yes, it is great to see a cover live you would have never gotten a chance to see otherwise in your lifetime.
time is a stripper doin it just for you

General

Yesssssss, you are sooooo right. I still haven't gotten around to getting their Early Recordings CDs, but it looks like there's some great--and ballsy--covers on there, too. On New Year's Eve, I kept hoping they would do "Jimmy Mack," which I believe Jim said was his theme song.