What did you all think of Evil Urges?

Started by TheManaconda, Feb 08, 2009, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

QuoteEU is my least favourite, including their EPs. Some songs I like though, and the album's tracks come off far better live. That being said, I think EU is a perfect transition album.

Transition into what.... :-?
Taking over from the likes of U2, Coldplay & Radiohead etc as the biggest band in the world!!!  :o
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

QuoteEU is my least favourite, including their EPs. Some songs I like though, and the album's tracks come off far better live. That being said, I think EU is a perfect transition album.

Taking over from the likes of U2, Coldplay & Radiohead etc as the biggest band in the world!!!  :o

Many bands eventually venture into new and/or uncharted creative territory and do so with a transition album - which contains a little of the old and something completely new and challenging.  

capt. scotty

Many bands eventually venture into new and/or uncharted creative territory and do so with a transition album - which contains a little of the old and something completely new and challenging.  

I hope they dont stray too much further from their roots   :-/
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

I hope they dont stray too much further from their roots   :-/

That's the worry for me too.

Is Evil Urges a transition or just a self-contained experimental album?

kydiddle

EU is great. It's not my favorite of their albums (hello, At Dawn), but it's awesome in its own way.

I never want my favorite bands (or any decent musician) to come out with the exact same sound on their next album. I think EU shows the band has talent and guts. Jim could write 4,000 songs in the old style and I'd love them all, but variety is nice. Seeing where they take their skills is great.

With that said. I don't want the EU sound to stick around forever.
Cow temperature.

ALady

I never want my favorite bands (or any decent musician) to come out with the exact same sound on their next album. I think EU shows the band has talent and guts. Jim could write 4,000 songs in the old style and I'd love them all, but variety is nice. Seeing where they take their skills is great.

Beautifully stated, ky.  I have been having this exact same discussion on another board for what seems like months now.  Thank you for making me realize I'm not a) alone and b) going insane.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

Beautifully stated, ky.  I have been having this exact same discussion on another board for what seems like months now.  Thank you for making me realize I'm not a) alone and b) going insane.

I totally agree. There's nothing more boring than bands that put out the same albums over and over. However, I'm no fan of the new direction of Kings of Leon, the later Radiohead albums (excluding In Rainbows) etc...

At least EU is interesting and creates (sometimes) passionate discussions and/or reactions.

touchingmept2

all alone at the end of the day.
eu is definitely my favorite.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

Bumbeli

I think it's really great, both Touch me I'm going to scream are superb songs and most of the other songs are atleast really great.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

The DARK

I like to think of it as a scenic overlook rather than a majestic peak...it's not as good as Z, At Dawn, or It Still Moves, but its a record they needed to make. They can go anywhere they want from here. They've let out the evil urges; now they need to build on them.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

QuoteI like to think of it as a scenic overlook rather than a majestic peak...it's not as good as Z, At Dawn, or It Still Moves, but its a record they needed to make. They can go anywhere they want from here. They've let out the evil urges; now they need to build on them.

Well put. That's why I think it's a transition album.