Meanings of Songs

Started by touchingmept2, Oct 26, 2008, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumbeli

I think "Thank you too" would be a good match for a wedding too.
But all of this is kinda offtopic :)
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI'm almost positive we've agreed to Golden as our first dance. She's still not 100% sold.

nice- lucky guy- I'm trying to sell the fiancee on Harvest Moon- something a little bit lighter
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

el_chode

QuoteI'm almost positive we've agreed to Golden as our first dance. She's still not 100% sold.

nice- lucky guy- I'm trying to sell the fiancee on Harvest Moon- something a little bit lighter

I've got great arguments. See, we fell in love during a performance of Xmas Curtain and I convinced her of my feelings for her using the lyrics of Golden.
I'm surrounded by assholes

AMightyCaporal

I've got great arguments. See, we fell in love during a performance of Xmas Curtain and I convinced her of my feelings for her using the lyrics of Golden.

money in the bank!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capncalyx

Im dying to know what Smokin' from Shootin' is about. One of my fav's.

Ghostess on TV

Knot Comes Loose. Wedding song.   ;)

el_chode

QuoteIm dying to know what Smokin' from Shootin' is about. One of my fav's.

That song is painful, but not to listen to.

Also, it seems like regardless of meaning, she's gone and decided Low Down will be our first dance. I'm not complaining

Love Dogg

Also, it seems like regardless of meaning, she's gone and decided Low Down will be our first dance. I'm not complaining

Well played...
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Ghostess on TV

For some reason (I know it sounds weird) but, whenever I hear this song...I think it was written about Kate's character in Lost.  Ha!

el_chode

For some reason (I know it sounds weird) but, whenever I hear this song...I think it was written about Kate's character in Lost.  Ha!

To quote Conan - WHAT in the WORLD?

Ghostess on TV

user_FKA_webmoster

Golden is no doubt, in my mind at least, about Jim's love of music and performing for people.

And this part:

"And you always told me.
No matter how long it holds me if it falls apart
Or makes us millonaires. you'll be right here forever.
We'll go thru this thing together
And on heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads"

He is telling someone that the music may lead him to wealth, or he may end up being a penniless, struggling artist. Either way, whom ever he is singing to, will always be by his side, supporting him in his love for music.

I used to think this song was about him and some girl, simply because of the last few lines. Yet once I actually took a look at the lyrics written out, i realized there it is undoubtabley about Jim's love of performing music.

meggha

great interpretation of Golden. that song always makes me think of what it means to perform music, as well.
I'd like to hear more about Mahgeetah, Into the Woods, Lay Low, By My Car, It's About Twilight Now, Phone Went West...
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

folieadeux322

I can only imagine how high Jim was when he wrote steam engine.

From what I can deduce steam engine is about how he was hooking for money to satisfy his drug problem. He states: none of this is physical. Saying he's not doing this because he likes it, but because he needs his fix. But then comes the point in the song where he gives it up and tells his pimp to "take your money and your drugs." This is because he found Jesus, and him and Jesus proceed to have a semi awkward moment under the moon light.

Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me...

weeniebeenie

I wanna know what X-mas Curtain is about.
I can't get my head around that one.
How loud can silence get?

Leontheslut

QuoteI wanna know what X-mas Curtain is about.
The first verse just seems like he is talking about his friend and him robbing places because they are poor.

The second verse is mind boggling.  :D
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

sweatboard

From what I can deduce X-mas Curtain is about how he was hooking for money to satisfy his drug problem. He states: "cant afford the finer things in life so we heist them all". Saying he's not doing this because he likes it, but because he needs his fix. But then comes the point in the song where he gives it up and tells his pimp "we're criminals that never break the law! ." This is because he found Jesus, and him and Jesus proceed to have a semi awkward moment under the X-Mas Tree in the town square .
There's Still Time.........

Leontheslut

From what I can deduce X-mas Curtain is about how he was hooking for money to satisfy his drug problem. He states: "cant afford the finer things in life so we heist them all". Saying he's not doing this because he likes it, but because he needs his fix. But then comes the point in the song where he gives it up and tells his pimp "we're criminals that never break the law! ." This is because he found Jesus, and him and Jesus proceed to have a semi awkward moment under the X-Mas Tree in the town square .
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

weeniebeenie

A semi-awkward moment under the x-mas tree?? ;D

But where does the x-mas girl that lives inside your womb part come in?
How loud can silence get?

meggha

QuoteBut where does the x-mas girl that lives inside your womb part come in?

To me, this part is actually about the love for christmas that everyone has inside of them because of all the shit they're gonna get. It's personified as a girl because we're all like giddy school-girls when it comes to opening presents, and we all have this childhood perfect idea of what Christmas should be.
I think Jim is saying christmas is a bad thing because of all the mass-consumerism. People are blinded to bad things in the world (such as drug addicts that need help) by the 'christmas curtain,' a sort of veil that goes over their eyes as they just try to buy lots of shit and don't notice anything else. That's how they're criminals, yet jj and his friend j are also criminals because of more obvious crimes (yet not obvious to zombie consumers).
That's how I interpret the whole song. Does that make sense? Did I leave anything out?
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."