Meanings of Songs

Started by touchingmept2, Oct 26, 2008, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

I've started this topic to find out the meanings of other songs, aside of dondante. Let's try Steam Engine
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

ChronicHunger

its about kenny loggins...

bearass

Quoteits about kenny loggins...
to elaborate jj was hangin with k log at pooh corner an they had been drinking quite heavily jim was getting ready to crash cause he was super wasted you know and kenny was like hold up dude its only like 3:30 dont be a puss so he grabs jim and takes him to red pakota sea and they jump in this gives jim a second wind and he realize the spectacular beauty of k logs pecs glistening in the moonlight...... in a nut shell

tomEisenbraun

to elaborate jj was hangin with k log at pooh corner an they had been drinking quite heavily jim was getting ready to crash cause he was super wasted you know and kenny was like hold up dude its only like 3:30 dont be a puss so he grabs jim and takes him to red pakota sea and they jump in this gives jim a second wind and he realize the spectacular beauty of k logs pecs glistening in the moonlight...... in a nut shell

That's.....beautiful, actually.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

librarian

That's.....beautiful, actually.

Touching, yes. I'm dabbing at my eyes as I type this.
Why's it so strange when they say that the world's movin' upwards?

el_chode

i had always assumed that gideon was just about certain political figures raping the concept of good faith, benevolence, and religion in the name of an unwilling population, giving us all a bad name. sort of like that drunk friend at the bar that you tell people you don't know when he gets all rowdy.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Actually, could one of you enlighten me on the who and how of Dondante? I know it's about death, and this was released as I went through a big loss as well, so it has double sentimental value to me and I never found out the story behind it.

bearass

one of jims old friends i believe he was in a band with him long ago (?)killed himself

ycartrob

QuoteActually, could one of you enlighten me on the who and how of Dondante? I know it's about death, and this was released as I went through a big loss as well, so it has double sentimental value to me and I never found out the story behind it.

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224690410

el_chode

thanks. i did a forum search for dondante but only got this thread plus 2 setlists.

el_chode

Is lowdown about cheating? I want to put it in my list of songs to be played at my wedding, but if it is (as I suspect) then I might think twice. It's just that the chorus is too perfect.

Bumbeli

I love this thread, reading other interpretations of MMJ songs is always an inspiration for me. I kinda have one for every song I like, so those opinions of yours often make me reconsider and evolve my very own.

I do think Lowdown is about being betrayed in a relationship, but to me the lyrics kinda say "yeah, you did that to me, I don't mind, I still love you". Lyrically not really the song I would want to be played at my wedding, I think Dear Wife would be a pretty obvious choice.
Then again, I wouldn't really chose it either. Somebody should open a "What Song would you want to hear at your wedding" thread.

Still, Steam Engine is amongst those songs I haven't quite figured out, although it's probably my favourite song.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

tomEisenbraun

Oh man, I feel like we really tore into this not too long ago? touching on something about the divide between physical and deeply all-encompassing love and the way in which this song finds that divide and transcends beyond it. Surpassing the ties to the physical to the point where even words aren't appropriate expressions for the dynamism of this song's ending. It's definitely an expression of love that reaches far beyond physical expression, but it also seeks to tie the physical into it in ways, as well. You can feel a very certain pull and angst to the lyrics, and then the bridge comes around and you find a resolution, almost a transfiguration occurring inside this experience out by the lake under the moon and then all hell breaks loose. It's like everything that was ever preventing this type of expression gets shaken loose and the soul just sings out of its most fragile and naked condition, bellowing its freedom and the intensity of its love.

[size=16]the fact that my heart's beatin
is all the proof you neeeeeeeeeeeeed....
[/size]

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but that's what I've got its meaning pegged as right now. I'd love to blow the dust off and restart the conversation on this one, though. I'm certainly no expert.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

el_chode

QuoteI love this thread, reading other interpretations of MMJ songs is always an inspiration for me. I kinda have one for every song I like, so those opinions of yours often make me reconsider and evolve my very own.

I do think Lowdown is about being betrayed in a relationship, but to me the lyrics kinda say "yeah, you did that to me, I don't mind, I still love you". Lyrically not really the song I would want to be played at my wedding, I think Dear Wife would be a pretty obvious choice.
Then again, I wouldn't really chose it either. Somebody should open a "What Song would you want to hear at your wedding" thread.

Still, Steam Engine is amongst those songs I haven't quite figured out, although it's probably my favourite song.

Oh I will. I'm gong to have all y'all scrub my wedding list. It's just not ready yet. In the mean time, maybe we can do a "most romantic song" thread, so we can see what songs Jim would dedicate to Nicole Atkins.

Obviously, Steam Engine would be my #1 choice but I don't think a 12 minute opus (because I'd have to have a live version) would go well at a wedding.

el_chode

QuoteOh man, I feel like we really tore into this not too long ago? touching on something about the divide between physical and deeply all-encompassing love and the way in which this song finds that divide and transcends beyond it. Surpassing the ties to the physical to the point where even words aren't appropriate expressions for the dynamism of this song's ending. It's definitely an expression of love that reaches far beyond physical expression, but it also seeks to tie the physical into it in ways, as well. You can feel a very certain pull and angst to the lyrics, and then the bridge comes around and you find a resolution, almost a transfiguration occurring inside this experience out by the lake under the moon and then all hell breaks loose. It's like everything that was ever preventing this type of expression gets shaken loose and the soul just sings out of its most fragile and naked condition, bellowing its freedom and the intensity of its love.

[size=16]the fact that my heart's beatin
is all the proof you neeeeeeeeeeeeed....
[/size]

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but that's what I've got its meaning pegged as right now. I'd love to blow the dust off and restart the conversation on this one, though. I'm certainly no expert.

Steam Engine is as close to an epiphany as I've come in a concert. I close my eyes as the song builds because I believe it really allows the other senses to take over and really get enhanced (even without the drugs). Of course, to get the full effect, you need to close your eyes earlier in the song to allow your other senses to prep.

Still, I'll definitely wax poetic, I just need to be stoned, drunk, or really tired to pull out my best stuff.

capt. scotty

;D

How did I miss this before??!

;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bumbeli

QuoteI love this thread, reading other interpretations of MMJ songs is always an inspiration for me. I kinda have one for every song I like, so those opinions of yours often make me reconsider and evolve my very own.

Oh I will. I'm gong to have all y'all scrub my wedding list. It's just not ready yet. In the mean time, maybe we can do a "most romantic song" thread, so we can see what songs Jim would dedicate to Nicole Atkins.

Obviously, Steam Engine would be my #1 choice but I don't think a 12 minute opus (because I'd have to have a live version) would go well at a wedding.

Yeah, the fact that Steam Engine is probably not really positive for the wedding thing, but then again, normally I wouldn't want it any other way.
Most romantic would require some time to think, but I'll be riding the train for hours today, so now I got something to do. Golden crosses my mind instantly though :)
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

at dawn

We played Steam Engine at our wedding.  It was wonderful.  We also thought about not doing it because of how long it is, but like everyone says "it's your day".  We told our friends to get up and start dancing a few minutes into the song - to encourage everyone else to do the same - and it worked perfectly.  

Now I just need to hear that song at a show.  I've only been to three shows but I know others have been to way more without hearing it. It was even on the setlist for one of the shows and got cut out.   :'(  
I know it'll happen one day.

Soulshine

Yeah, the fact that Steam Engine is probably not really positive for the wedding thing, but then again, normally I wouldn't want it any other way.
Most romantic would require some time to think, but I'll be riding the train for hours today, so now I got something to do. Golden crosses my mind instantly though :)

I know a couple people who have used Golden at their wedding. Another couple made a mix CD (which Golden was included) of their fave songs and gave that to the guests as their gift.
Because we're all in this together...

el_chode

I'm almost positive we've agreed to Golden as our first dance. She's still not 100% sold.