Everyone should own mmj on wax.

Started by keithissweet, Jun 05, 2009, 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k wags

Sitting here on a rainy New Jersey day, when to my delight the UPS dude dropped off my copy of Chocolate and Ice on vinyl. Oh how the clouds did part when I let the needle drop on side B, Cobra, and that drumbeat kicked in. I know Chocolate and Ice has been around forever but I've just recently been making an attempt to recollect all that is MMJ on vinyl. Wax is certainly the best medium between mista Yim Yames and your auditory receptors, so much so, that I felt the need to post this. Before Chocolate and Ice, my last purchase was Celebracion de la Ciudad Natal and you just can't beat a great live recording on wax yall. Better than that most of the records Ive bought by MMJ come with a free CD and they rarely go above 20 bucks. How fucking great? Anyway, just felt the need to spread the vinyl sermon...Cobra inspired me. Happy listening brothers and sisters. :-*

bold99

I agree....MMJ on vinyl is amazing...I own just about everything they put out.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

jmk

I just recently purchased a record player, and have quickly amassed a nice MMJ collection (Listening to "Anytime" as I type). Vinyl is just the best, plain and simple.

I have so far:

The Tennessee Fire
At Dawn
It Still Moves
Z
Okonokos
Acoustic Citsuoca

In the mail:

Celebracion
Chocolate and Ice

It looks like all I need is Evil Urges and Off The Record EP, right? At least that's all I can seem to find that I'm missing. Is there anything else?

capt. scotty

I dont get it. Can someone explain to me how vinyl sounds better than a cd?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Love Dogg

QuoteI dont get it. Can someone explain to me how vinyl sounds better than a cd?

For me it's the intimacy of it.  And the fact that you have to "earn" your listen.  Kinda like enjoying a cigarette that you have rolled intead of chain smoking a pack of ready rolls (obviously not a good comparison for the non-smokers).  You can actually hear more on vinyl sometimes too.

Here is a link to a Rolling Stone article that ran last summer.  They even compared three records and Evil Urges was one of them.  I think maybe Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones were the others.  I may be wrong but I remember them being classics.  (It's not turning up in this article.  If I can find my hard copy, I will post it later.)
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20947918/vinyl_returns_in_the_age_of_mp3
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

the_wizzard

searchinbig

QuoteI dont get it. Can someone explain to me how vinyl sounds better than a cd?
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

Wiz,

Thats a good read. So even studio cd's are compressed it appears? I finally got my old turntable hooked up this weekend to my newer stereo. Had to buy a phono pre amp but who cares. The reason I dug the turntable out is cause of these guys.

I do think the sound is just warmer. It seems you can hear more, not just highs and lows. Of course there's the occasional pops but they are more prevalent in between songs. I'm just glad I kept all my vinyl, about 30 years worth of collecting.

Capt, do you know someone with a turntable? Go give a listen. I don't know maybe I'm being nostalgic but SRV and Double Trouble doing Voodoo Chile sure knocked my socks off this weekend!!

k wags, what color is your C & I? Mine is the blue and white swirl.

Here's to Joe Strummer: Vinyl Rules!
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

axround3r

Listening to vinyl now actually. Gotta agree with you guys the richer warmer sound and overall experience of vinyl draws me in.

And of course i have a some MMJ on vinyl.
Cant wait to see them live again!!!

Angry Ewok

I've got a few copies of just about all the stuff on vinyl... it's awesome. Love that cracklin'.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Vadie Stark

QuoteI've got a few copies of just about all the stuff on vinyl... it's awesome. Love that cracklin'.
just like frying bacon.  mmmmmm......
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Love Dogg

QuoteI've got a few copies of just about all the stuff on vinyl... it's awesome. Love that cracklin'.
just like frying bacon.  mmmmmm......

;D
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

AMightyCaporal

i'm looking forward to collecting all their albums on vinyl but for now I've got Evil Urges and Celebracion  both sound delicious!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

TGMC421

I'm celebrating the one year anniversary of Evil Urges by spinning it on wax right now!  

[smiley=beer.gif]

AlwxanderD10

Someone tell me what they think the best mmj vinly Is I've got c&I but I don't know what to get next, I'm thinkin ism

searchinbig

QuoteSomeone tell me what they think the best mmj vinly Is I've got c&I but I don't know what to get next, I'm thinkin ism

If you mean sound quality ,I've heard Okonokos. I don't have it though on vinyl. I remember reading here somewhere it sounds awesome on vinyl.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Love Dogg

QuoteSomeone tell me what they think the best mmj vinly Is I've got c&I but I don't know what to get next, I'm thinkin ism

If you mean sound quality ,I've heard Okonokos. I don't have it though on vinyl. I remember reading here somewhere it sounds awesome on vinyl.

It does.  Listened to it in it's entirety Wednesday night!  It has a couple of extras that aren't on the cd version too.

AMightyCaporal

damn this thread- now I'm online looking to buy some vinyl- I would buy at a local independent shop but I don't live in or around one of "those" towns :(

anyone have any suggestions where I should buy some vinyl online?

much uh-purrsiated
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

searchinbig

Quotedamn this thread- now I'm online looking to buy some vinyl- I would buy at a local independent shop but I don't live in or around one of "those" towns :(

much uh-purrsiated

Check the links here ( For MMJ). Was shopping myself today. Lotsa good stuff available!
I'm lucky I have a local shop! I think J&R's, Tower Records, etc. have vinyl. Kinda spensive for some though, like I saw Dylan's new album but it was $27.99.

Funny how the word old has been changed to vintage ;D

AMightyCaporal

Quotedamn this thread- now I'm online looking to buy some vinyl- I would buy at a local independent shop but I don't live in or around one of "those" towns :(

much uh-purrsiated

Check the links here ( For MMJ). Was shopping myself today. Lotsa good stuff available!
I'm lucky I have a local shop! I think J&R's, Tower Records, etc. have vinyl. Kinda spensive for some though, like I saw Dylan's new album but it was $27.99.

Yea I am on musicdirect.com . Unfortunately MMJ store only has 2 vinyl available- I'm thinking about making a purchase of  Okonokos and one or two others- Any suggestions?

TGMC421

much uh-purrsiated

Yea I am on musicdirect.com . Unfortunately MMJ store only has 2 vinyl available- I'm thinking about making a purchase of  Okonokos and one or two others- Any suggestions?

At Dawn!