Monsters of Folk: Full Album stream at MySpace

Started by admin, Sep 15, 2009, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weeniebeenie

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to listen. Only cause then I won't have work the next day and I can fully concentrate.
How loud can silence get?

AMightyCaporal

QuoteMagic Marker is really sad.  If i'm hearing Jim correctly it seems he's talking about how no one takes him seriously, but if you ask him "How many licks does it take to get to the center?" you'll find something sweet.  

I think jim james is trying to be the owl from the tootsie pop commercials during that song.

awesome song though.

Lol. I feel like he's mentions the cleaning detergent "Shout"...or is he saying shower?

Definitely saying shower.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

aMillionDreams

QuoteMagic Marker is the Aaron Todovich song right?  Jim played it at the Rud and we called it "Ordinary" I think.  Great tribute to put it on the album.

I'm already floored the first time thru.  Can't wait to just keeping soaking this in.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

It was never clear to me that that song was Aaron's.   Initially I thought it was Jim's but everyone seemed to think differently after the Rud show.  I'll be interested to see what the songwriting credits will be for that song in the linear notes.  Definitely the same song from the Rud, tho.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

Ahead of the Curve, Temazcal, Man Named Truth and Sandman (still) are the highlights of this album for me.  (Brakeman was my favorite tune off of Cassadega so this is fitting)

Besides the beats and harp, Dear God is unlistenable to me.  I liked it the 1st time when I heard then realized (again) Jim's faux soul, 70's R&B voice just comes across contrived and vanilla IMHO.

Goodway and Baby Boomers are nice little ditties that would be fun to hear live.  Goodway in someways reminds of Magic Trick in it's length, pace and style.

His Master's Voice is a beautiful tune until the obnoxious close.  Dare I say it?  Yes it reminds me of Fleet Foxes ;)

On first listen, I found Right Place to be too cheesy until I realized I missed Jim hitting at least one high note with a tiny little 'verb on it.

Slo Down Jo' just didn't seem to jive with the rest of the album for me.  Now if I was blazed up with headphones on underwater staring at tropical fish under a giant coral reef, I'd love this song.

Losin' Yo Head  is just a fun tune.  Part of me is bummed that this is the best rocker in the entire album because on any other album, that would be disappointing.  Then I reminded myself this was the MOF and I was cool :)

Whole Lotta Losin' - Good road tune.

Magic Marker - On the fence.  TBD 

As I mentioned above (yeah, mostly Conor stuff) is what hit me the most.  Temazcal, Man Name Truth, Ahead of the Curve and Sandman are all great tunes for me.

So those are my initial impressions.

See where more listens takes me.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

QuoteMagic Marker is the Aaron Todovich song right?  Jim played it at the Rud and we called it "Ordinary" I think.  Great tribute to put it on the album.

I'm already floored the first time thru.  Can't wait to just keeping soaking this in.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

It was never clear to me that that song was Aaron's.   Initially I thought it was Jim's but everyone seemed to think differently after the Rud show.  I'll be interested to see what the songwriting credits will be for that song in the linear notes.  Definitely the same song from the Rud, tho.

So maybe it was just kind of dedicated to Aaron but Jim wrote it?  I thought he said it was the last song he heard Aaron sing but maybe he said the Rud was last place he saw Aaron play.  Like you said, I guess we will find out on Tuesday!  The performance of that song at the Rud was such an emotional moment and one of the reasons I thought that show was so special.   Jim was in a special mode that night I thought.  He even explained some of the meaning of his wierd "Into The Woods" lyrics which he NEVER does.  He usually keeps things mysterious which is great, but it was nice to get a little insight into something.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Wooooooo! Temazcal!

(;DI'm such a dork!)

Expect a "The Right Place!  Yahoooo!" post in about 1:39.

BH

BH

Is that Jim and M dualing on Man Named Truth?  It's gotta be.  Mmmmm Mm

BH

Dear God
6 Songs
Goodway
6 Songs
His Master's Voice

seem familiar?

BH

Has anyone guessed yet that I've been drinking, listening to MOF and basking in the glory of a Cards victory over the Cubbies?   Sherlock.

Where is everyone?  Do you all have something better to do on a Friday night than sit on your computer and listen with me? ;)

BH

Shepardspy

"I Need it like youuuuuuu need me.  People they neeeeeed piano keys"

rob

His Master's Voice.......in too high a key?......sounds like my boy is straining.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

xmascriminal

QuoteHis Master's Voice.......in too high a key?......sounds like my boy is straining.

Obviously you haven't heard the title track from Evil Urges. He can go A LOT higher than he does on His Master's Voice with no problem at all.

el_chode

QuoteHis Master's Voice.......in too high a key?......sounds like my boy is straining.

Obviously you haven't heard the title track from Evil Urges. He can go A LOT higher than he does on His Master's Voice with no problem at all.

Also, he can go much higher than I can while sitting in traffic trying to ignore my road rage by pretending to be a rock star.
I'm surrounded by assholes