Monsters of Folk: Full Album stream at MySpace

Started by admin, Sep 15, 2009, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

Soulshine

Because we're all in this together...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

FiddleCastro

Can't wait to get home and hear this! thanks for the heads up!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Taterbug

Just gave it a listen. Thanks CC.

Why would they stream the entire album 1 week prior to the release ?

Is it because it leaked ?

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

xmascriminal

I'm still gonna wait. Waiting is fun. Actually, it's horrible, but it's very rewarding in the end.

wakebord

FINALLY !!!!!!  been waiting on some new good music.  so great so f'in great.

xmascriminal

Okay, fuck that, I'm not gonna wait. Waiting's for losers.

Soulshine

QuoteOkay, fuck that, I'm not gonna wait. Waiting's for losers.

;D

I gave myself permission as soon as this thread appeared.
Because we're all in this together...

The DARK

QuoteOkay, fuck that, I'm not gonna wait. Waiting's for losers.

;D

I gave myself permission as soon as this thread appeared.

As did I ;)

On Goodway right now. This album so far definitely has a Traveling Wilburys feel to it. I'm looking forward to the second half, as that's where I hear many highlights lie in wait.
In another time, in another place, in another face

capt. scotty

QuoteJust gave it a listen. Thanks CC.

Why would they stream the entire album 1 week prior to the release ?

Is it because it leaked ?

Theyve been doing it pretty often ever since those digital jukeboxes got popular. Albums come out a week early on there, so making everything available on myspace isnt really hurting anything.

99% sure they did the same thing with EU.

Cant wait to choick this bad boy out
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

I'm going to wait......

......until tonight when I can put on a buzz and some headphones and close my eyes.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

xmascriminal

I just got done with my first listen. What an excellent allbum. I'm shocked to say that my favorite tracks overall are Conor's. Have I not given him the chance he deserves or are these songs above the quality of his usual material? Anyway, Temazcal, Man Named Truth and Ahead of the Curve are all fantastic. M. Ward's songs aren't anything new for him, but they're good. The opening and closing tracks are my favorite Yim songs. In fact, they're both amazing. Overall, due to the surprise Conor had in store for me, this album exceded my expectations. Great stuff.

The DARK

I feel a track-by-track coming on...

Dear God (Sincerely, M.O.F.)- Still absolutely adore this song. What a vocal perfomance by Yimmy.

Say Please- Cool, but eclipsed by some of the other upbeat ones. Not a whole lot to distinguish it other than that crazy solo.

Whole Lotta Losin- Like this M. Ward offering quite a lot. While I enjoyed Hold Time, I'm glad he didn't dwell purely on that sound. Sounds like a great driving song.

Temazcal- I wasn't sure what to expect from some of these Conor songs, but this one definitely impressed me. Cool lyrics, and includes some of the best gelling of the vocals on the entire album.

The Right Place- Nice and jangly, sticking to the Wilburys feel. Love that slide guitar. I think we can expect some more Yim songs like this on the next Jacket album.

Baby Boomer- Turns out that the clip we heard was from Losin Yo Head and not this song. Not a highlight in particular, but the passing of the mic from verse to verse nails the group feel.

Man Named Truth- A pretty good song. I had my reservations about this one, but the instrumentation is very cool.

Goodway- I suppose it's my least favorite on the album. Not because I don't like it, but it's shorter and the combination of sounds seems more forced here than elsewhere.

Ahead of the Curve- A major highlight, and the best Conor song here (that's saying something). It's got the perfect roots rock feel, with some really thoughtful lyrics.

Slow Down Jo- Ok, but nothing too outstanding. This is slow even by M Ward's standards, but it's got a hint of R&B around the edges.

Losin Yo Head- Fun straight-up rock and roll done Jacket style. I can't wait to decipher the lyrics behind this one.

Magic Marker- At first, I didn't see what the fuss was about here. Then I stopped expecting it to be earth shattering and it suddenly turned into a beautiful slice of Yames soul music.

Map of the World- Just a great all-around song. Their harmonies during the chorus are amazing.

The Sandman, the Brakeman, and Me- Nice and peaceful. Great song. That's all I really have to say.

His Master's Voice- Not sold on that little vocal thing Mogis does at the end. But wow, what singing. What lyrics. I'm gonna be listening to this one for a long time. My favorite song here.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Shepardspy

Magic Marker is really sad.  If i'm hearing Jim correctly it seems he's talking about how no one takes him seriously, but if you ask him "How many licks does it take to get to the center?" you'll find something sweet.  

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteMagic Marker is really sad.  If i'm hearing Jim correctly it seems he's talking about how no one takes him seriously, but if you ask him "How many licks does it take to get to the center?" you'll find something sweet.  

I think jim james is trying to be the owl from the tootsie pop commercials during that song.

awesome song though.

Shepardspy

QuoteMagic Marker is really sad.  If i'm hearing Jim correctly it seems he's talking about how no one takes him seriously, but if you ask him "How many licks does it take to get to the center?" you'll find something sweet.  

I think jim james is trying to be the owl from the tootsie pop commercials during that song.

awesome song though.

Lol. I feel like he's mentions the cleaning detergent "Shout"...or is he saying shower?

Shepardspy

His Master's Voice- Not sold on that little vocal thing Mogis does at the end. But wow, what singing. What lyrics. I'm gonna be listening to this one for a long time. My favorite song here.

I actually laughed out loud when I heard the voices at the end.  It's such a goofy thing to do to follow up beautiful singing with random "God-like" voices popping up all over.  

BH

Magic Marker is the Aaron Todovich song right?  Jim played it at the Rud and we called it "Ordinary" I think.  Great tribute to put it on the album.

I'm already floored the first time thru.  Can't wait to just keeping soaking this in.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI just got done with my first listen. What an excellent allbum. I'm shocked to say that my favorite tracks overall are Conor's. Have I not given him the chance he deserves or are these songs above the quality of his usual material? Anyway, Temazcal, Man Named Truth and Ahead of the Curve are all fantastic. M. Ward's songs aren't anything new for him, but they're good. The opening and closing tracks are my favorite Yim songs. In fact, they're both amazing. Overall, due to the surprise Conor had in store for me, this album exceded my expectations. Great stuff.

Conor is amazing, and he has many many songs that are amazing, but he really did out do himself on this album.

P.S. He deserves your chance.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...