Pitchfork gives mad props to Yim Yames

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Sep 24, 2009, 02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13501-monsters-of-folk/

"Indeed, only James consistently works to move beyond his mold, a quality that's often defined My Morning Jacket's mixed catalog, too. On the gorgeous opener, "Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.)", he and Mogis (the disc's stars, no question) shape a subtle soul track with harp, synthesizers, and samples drums from "Is There Any Love", a cut from the Numero Group's Good God! collection that's also been lifted by Kid Cudi."

"Between tracks two and 10, James takes only one lead turn, allowing the album to drift into a bland, generally mid-tempo roots-rock torpor."

"But, with the exception of the aching, gorgeous closer "His Master's Voice", James' five contributions to Monsters of Folk are left turns. On "Losin Yo Head", the rock burst that finally ends the mid-album doldrums, he sings as if leading Cheap Trick, peeling back his trademark reverb to step in front of the album's most aggressive moment. Not
coincidentally, it's one of the album's addictive tunes."

WORD!!!!
God damn those shaky knees.

Shepardspy

Pitchfork once again misses the point.  I agree with what they say about Jim but that's just what he does.  

This project wasn't about expanding themselves artistically.  This album was about four friends getting together, making music, and having fun.  

Penny Lane

QuotePitchfork once again misses the point.  I agree with what they say about Jim but that's just what he does.  

This project wasn't about expanding themselves artistically.  This album was about four friends getting together, making music, and having fun.  

i think it's about both.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Bigsky

QuotePitchfork once again misses the point.  I agree with what they say about Jim but that's just what he does.  

i think it's about both.

I thought it was about me... :-?

AMightyCaporal

i think it's about both.

It is baby, don't let anyone tell you different
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Love Dogg

i think it's about both.

It's about Obama.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

AlwxanderD10

i think it's about both.

It's about Obama.
So Obama is "The Master"?

AMightyCaporal

i think it's about both.

It's about Obama.
So Obama is "The Master"?

no... Sho' Nuff is tha masata

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

for me no matter what organization reviews an album they don't have the opinion of people around here.  good or bad they don't really seem to have any idea what they're talking about.  they aren't really "fans", these critics are almost into music to not enjoy it seems like anymore.

maybe I'm just stoned.  I'm glad jim is getting props but that's pretty retarded for them to say jim and mogis are the only people who shine on here.  why does everything have to be groundbreakingly innovative these day to be good?  eh, just ranting.  

I was thinking a lot about it the other day, Jim really seems to be one of the only musicians who actually uses their imagination these days.  but still that album is good I don't get why m ward and conor have to play second fiddle when it's a cohesive peace of music that wouldn't sound the same if even one of them were missing.

rob

Can't believe they gave MOF and the new Richard Hawley mediocre reviews, yet raved over that Volcano Choir mess of an album....
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"