Writing a paper on a MMJ song (need help)

Started by TheKnoxvilleBear, Oct 25, 2009, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKnoxvilleBear

Hello fellow Jacketeers! Its been a while, but I trust everyone is doing fine and enjoying this great fall weather. I need some help. I am writing a brief paper on a song where I have to:
    "Give an oral presentation discussing the implications the words to music or vice versa. Basically, can the song exist as a poem? Do the musical notes, drum rhythms, chord progressions, harmonies, chosen instruments, etc. add something essential to one's connection to the song or to the song's storytelling element? What is your understanding of the song as a poem?

--I love every single MMJ song, so this is really hard for me to decide which one to pick. Please give me some suggestions on a song to choose and your interpretation of the song.

AlwxanderD10

TheKnoxvilleBear

Dondante would be great. I'm supposed to play a 30 sec. clip for the class, so I don't know which part I'd play. Maybe at "You had me worried" into the awesome guitar solo? I know its about a friend's suicide, and it definitely has a haunting ghost like sound to accompany the words. Any other thoughts about Dondante?

AlwxanderD10

Well i know it could definitely be a poem, the first two lines of each section rhyme, ummmm i know his friend was a musician so maybe some of the song could have been influenced by the way his friend played but I'm really not sure.

capt. scotty

Steam Engine, play the last verse is an obvious one.

I think Gideon, Rollin Back, Knot Comes Loose, or I Think Im Going To Hell would all be great choices too

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

weeniebeenie

Gideon, At Dawn, Smokin' From Shootin'.
How loud can silence get?

aMillionDreams

It's just the way that he sings, not the words that he says or the band

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

AMightyCaporal

wordless chorus  :)

how that song makes me smile when I'm feeling my lowest is beyond me.

also- the way that he sings
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

DaFunkyPrecedent

Dondonte.  Jim makes his voice sound like a ghost, he makes his voice "wake up", the guitars and drums and sax take you into another planet...Dondonte for sure.
God damn those shaky knees.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

yeah Dondante would be an easy one to do for sure.  all about his friend dying and then seeing him in a dream.  cool conceptually and rocks hard.
Steam Engine was the other one that came to mind.  

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

The DARK

Steam Engine and Dondante are the two obvious ones.

Also, if you're leaning more towards the stripped-down, I Needed It Most would be a solid choice.
In another time, in another place, in another face

tdb810

I love this assignment! I did it when I was in HS English Junior Yr (way way way back). It's such a wonderfully creative way of discussing and debating meanings attributed to the lyrics and stories!

My choice:  

I Will Sing You Songs

Feels and sounds like a sweet, sweet love song, but I also sense a trace of sarcasm there....still haven't figured it out completely..

Have fun!

.....Back at the Model Home

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Librarian would be an easy one.  I'm Amazed would be an easy one.  

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI love this assignment! I did it when I was in HS English Junior Yr (way way way back). It's such a wonderfully creative way of discussing and debating meanings attributed to the lyrics and stories!

My choice:  

I Will Sing You Songs

Feels and sounds like a sweet, sweet love song, but I also sense a trace of sarcasm there....still haven't figured it out completely..

Have fun!

I will sing you songs is such a bad ass song, it really blasts you at the end with those vocals.  awesome awesome song for sure.

tdb810

[/quote]

I will sing you songs is such a bad ass song, it really blasts you at the end with those vocals.  awesome awesome song for sure.[/quote]

Ditto!  This will sound weird, but sometimes I can't even listen to it -- conjures up SO much emotion.  Such a powerful piece.

.....Back at the Model Home

TheKnoxvilleBear

Thanks for all the great feeback. I'm going with Dondante