Main Menu

Mystery Mix

Started by Johnny_Yac, Jan 10, 2010, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Hey Jacketheads! (what do we call ourselves, anyway?)

A kind fellow from somewhere in the midwest sent me a mix CD of MMJ/Jim James as a thank you for me sending him burned DVDs of Rockpalast and something else (I can't remember).  I recognize a few of the tracks ("Going to Acapulco" from I'm Not There, for example), but many have challenged me.  The first few tunes are basically JJ solo, songs I know but from sources I can't place.  

If you are up to the challenge, go to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CP206DO0 and take a listen.  Then let me know the title and source of each track.  The most helpful member will get an Omnichord orginal composition named after them and posted on my website http://johnnyyac.com/ .  This can be the first recording using my "new" OM84!

Will it be "Ode to A Mighty Caporal"?
How about "Sassbox Blues"?
Maybe "I Love Me That Sticky Icky Green Stuff!"

Good luck and THANK YOU TOO!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

1) Bermuda Highway  3-17-2001 KVRX Radio Session, Austin, TX (probably the best sounding Jim solo show available.)

2) Hopefully (same)

3) Lowdown (same)

Full show is this by the way....

1.  I Will Be There When You Die
2.  I Needed It Most  :o
3.  Nashville To Kentucky
4.  Hopefully
5.  Just Becuase I Do
6.  Lowdown
7.  Bermuda Highway

4)  Look At You (Radio Session around the time they did the shows in Japan)  I will have to look up the date on Monday

5)  Sayanora (Same Session) by Tokie Tamaki & Club Nisei Orchestra

6) Goldon (Rolling Stone Session)

7) Masterplan(Rolling Stone Session)

8) Steam Engine (Rolling Stone Session)

My original user name was Bermuda Hitchhiker.  That should give you a bit more to work with. ;)

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

Okay, BH, you da man!  I still have one gap, track 12, a 3:45 version of "How Do You Know" (the Sweatbees EP version is 4:48).  This shorter version has a twisted guitar opening.  Anyone have any ideas on its source?

I also found the date on the JJ solo radio session from Melbourne, known as Live on Triple J (Like a Version) 1-29-09.

So this is what I have, mostly thanks to BH:

1. Bermuda Highway (KVRX 3-17-01)
2. Hopefully (KVRX 3-17-01)
3. Lowdown (KVRX 3-17-01)
4. Look At You (Triple J 1-29-09)
5. Sayanora (Triple J 1-29-09)
6. Golden (Rolling Stone Session)
7. Masterplan (Rolling Stone Session)
8. Steam Engine (Rolling Stone Session)
9. Goin to Acapulco (I'm Not There)
10. It Makes No Difference (Endless Highway)
11. Chills (Off the Record EP)
[highlight]12. How Do You Know (3:45- source unknown)[/highlight]
13. How Could I Know (Off the Record EP)

Sound about right?  Thanks to any and all who took a crack at it.

BH, I'll let you know when the recording is up!

-JY  

johnnYYac

Just one thing...

Anyone have leads on how I can get this recording?

2001-03-17 KVRX 91.7 FM (Local Live) - Austin, TX      
1. Bermuda Highway
2. Lowdown
3. Hopefully
4. Nashville to Kentucky
5. I Needed it Most
6. I Will Be There When You Die
7. Just Because I Do

rusty95

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

johnnYYac

Quotehttp://www.archive.org/details/mmj2001-03-17.KVRX_Radio

try this  enjoy

Y'know, I went to the Archive but was looking under Jim James, since it was solo.  Nothing there.  I imagine there's other JJ solo stuff under "MMJ" in the Archive.  Now I've got something to keep me busy.  

Thanks, Rusty!

BH

I'm pretty sure that's the OKONOKOS How Do You Know.  (vinyl only)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

QuoteI'm pretty sure that's the OKONOKOS How Do You Know.  (vinyl only)

Fuck, dude!  Good call.  That was it.  I had to go to my copy of The Okonokos Project to find it.  You definitely deserve an Omnichord tribute. Here's a quote from tonight's update to my website ( http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/ ):

"UPDATE!  The OM 84 has arrived.  It sounds great.  Its strumplate is more responsive than the one on the QChord, though there are a few chord buttons that are less responsive.  Not as much to it, but it has the sound I was looking for.  I also have a number of models on eBay that I'm watching- 2 OM 250s and an OM 300.  I also promised a fellow MMJ fan, BH (aka Bermuda Hitchhiker), that I would dedicate my first recording of the OM 84 to him for helping me identify some MMJ/JJ recordings.  Look for that up top real soon!  Perhaps just an instrumental version of Bermuda Highway, renamed for him.  Sounds good to me."

BH

Sounds great to me!

AMightyCaporal

god damn you BH and your knowledge of everything MMJ related... how can a simpleton like me compete?  At least Ode to a Mighty Caporal sounds badass!  ;D

glad you found your answers johnny!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

johnnYYac

Okay, "Bermuda Hitchhiker", such as it is, has been posted to my website, dedicated to BH: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/

I hope you like it  :)

I also have a rough first take of "One Big Holiday", which I rushed as my 18 month old daughter was waking up from her nap and the wife was out shopping.  Leave feedback if you wish.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteOkay, "Bermuda Hitchhiker", such as it is, has been posted to my website, dedicated to BH: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/

I hope you like it  :)

I also have a rough first take of "One Big Holiday", which I rushed as my 18 month old daughter was waking up from her nap and the wife was out shopping.  Leave feedback if you wish.

Will be listening to this very soon! I cant wait!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

AMightyCaporal

I loved bermuda hitchhiker! I didn't get to listen to OBH yet but I loved the ease of BH.  Super mellow and fun! keep it up!

BH

Nice!  Well done Johnny Yac!  

(I can't wait to tell my wife that a guy I met on the interweb named a song after me.  ;D)

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

just a random fact: BH knows what the fuck is up.  

AMightyCaporal

Quotejust a random fact: BH knows what the fuck is up.  

word!