Country sounding MMJ (or other) songs?

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jul 10, 2010, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Dear fellow Jacketeers, that I love and a respect a little more than the rest of the world's population, I need your help!

I work at an Old Time Photo Shop at an amusement park, where we play "country" music. I've been allowed to make a few mixed CDs of new (new old-sounding to be precise) music, since the ones we got are quite awful (too many hysterical jippie kay yaaaays).

The thing is I don't know that much about country music, but then again, neither does the management. The rules that I have to follow are the following:

1. It has to "sound old", so it doesn't really matter if it is old or not, as long as it sounds old.
2. It has to be "country" or "western" or sound like it is country or western or like it might maybe be country or western... you get the picture...  ;)

My main goal here is to sneak some My Morning Jacket in to influence our visitors, so, which songs do you think might pass as "country" or "western" ish? (and if you know any other good country songs that's not MMJ that would be greatly appreciated too).

Songs I have gotten approved so far:
1. Old September Blues
2. Girl From the North Country (live recordings are ok, as long as the quality is as good as or almost as good as studio recordings).

Songs that didn't get approved:
1. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2 (even though I kept saying it was "underground American country")
2. Good Intentions
3. It's been a great 3 or 4 years

Songs I'm considering:
1. Sec Walkin
2. All The Best (TV-version since the Omnichord might sound a tad bit too modern)

Well, as you can tell, I need help.
So pretty please with sugar on top, help a poor Swede out!
:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Ruckus

I think Sec Walkin' should work right although it might not sound "old."

Maybe not pure country but either Evelyn from TTF or Heartbreakin' Man EP might work along with Just Because I Do off the At Dawn Demos.

EDIT:  Lowdown?  They gotta take that. :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

In terms of non-Jacket music, the Karen Elson record is cool and old-timey sounding.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

BH

Lullabyes, Legends and Lies!   Where To Begin maybe?

Do you have any Wiskeytown or Ryan Adams?

Phosphorescant's cover of Willie Nelson's Can I Sleep In Your Arms! That song is amazing.

I would love to make you a ten song mixtape of some other stuff I'm thinking of!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

QuoteI think Sec Walkin' should work right although it might not sound "old."

Maybe not pure country but either Evelyn from TTF or Heartbreakin' Man EP might work along with Just Because I Do off the At Dawn Demos.

EDIT:  Lowdown?  They gotta take that. :)

I know Sec Walkin' might be stretching it, since it doesn't sound "old" at all... but then again, the sound system isn't exactly top notch, so I still might get away with it...  ;) Evelyn and Heartbreakin' Man is now on the list and I'd totally momentarily forgotten about the At Dawn Demos (since they're not in Spotify), good idea!  Thanks for the suggestions!  :)

SaraBananaBear

QuoteIn terms of non-Jacket music, the Karen Elson record is cool and old-timey sounding.

Never heard any of her stuff, will check it out asap! Thanks for the suggestion  :)

SaraBananaBear

QuoteLullabyes, Legends and Lies!   Where To Begin maybe?

Do you have any Wiskeytown or Ryan Adams?

Phosphorescant's cover of Willie Nelson's Can I Sleep In Your Arms! That song is amazing.

I would love to make you a ten song mixtape of some other stuff I'm thinking of!

Lullabies added and Where to Begin added, I'm pretty sure they'll go for both of those  :D

I've recently been listening to some Ryan Adams, not a lot, but some, but never heard any Wiskeytown or Phosphorescant (not easy to spell, good thing ctrl+c works ;)), will check all of that out, thanks for helping! And please do make a mixtape, I need all the help I can get.  :)

Ruckus

Lot's of stuff off of Wilco's 1st 2 albums.

Pick Up the Change, Passenger Side, and That's Not the Issue off of AM.  Again probably not old or country enough but hey.

Pancho and Lefty by Willie and Merle

Steve Earle...

Tracy 3000

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

EasyRyder

Marty Robbins. The Dead covered some of his songs, but check out "Big Iron" and "El Paso". His greatest hits is pure awesomeness and very fun to get into if you actually listen to the stories that he tells.

Especially "Utah Carrol" and (ironically) "The Master's Call" if you're into country ballads. They're great for daydreaming, yet pleasantly traditional...

Best of luck!

P.S. If you haven't checked out the Grateful Dead's most country album (and consider 1970 relatively contemporary), "Workingman's Dead, " it's an absolute must!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Ruckus

QuoteJayhawks-Tomorrow the Green Grass

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVVGQjWFg4[/media]

Son Volt- Trace
Son Volt - Straightaways

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhsryMt3TP0[/media]

I was feelin' Jayhawks too Trace.  Tomorrow the Green Grass is one of my favorite albums of all time.  I thought it might sound a bit too clean though.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

weeniebeenie

Pancho and Lefty by Willie and Merle

Steve Earle...
I love Pancho and Lefty.

Speaking of Steve, Justin Townes Earle is pretty 'Old Time Country'. I love everything he does.

As for MMJ I'd say Where To Begin, Just Because I Do, Golden and Nasville To Kentucky.
How loud can silence get?

SaraBananaBear

Thanks for all the suggestions, working my way through them, slowly but surely!  :)

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

.Walt

QuoteThanks for all the suggestions, working my way through them, slowly but surely!  :)

Good luck, Sara!

I still can't believe you even tried Touch Me Pt. 2, Good Intentions,
and It's been a great 3 or 4 years as underground US country.  That's ballsy!

Continue the global expansion, Sara!  8-)

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Soulshine

Not MMJ-- but Bonnie Raitt - Love Me Like A Man popped into my head. yeah.  8-)
Because we're all in this together...

columba78