If you were making a MMJ greatest hits CD...

Started by thejerbear, May 25, 2010, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippin from shroomin

If you were given the choice of 15 songs to show a friend or the world for that matter. What 15 songs do you put on that CD?

Here's my best shot.

Phone Went West
Wordless Chorus
The Way That He Sings
Lay Low
Steam Engine
Bermuda Highway
Smokin From Shootin
Touch Me Part 2
One Big Holiday
The Bear
Cobra
Dondante
Highly Suspicious  
Dancefloors
Mageetah

Runners-up: Anytime, Golden, War Begun, Easy Morning Rebel, Thank You Too

15 is difficult with sooooo much great stuff to choose from.  :)

wakebord

1.  One Big Holiday (with Eminence Front intro - so basically a live version)
2.  Way That He Sings
3.  Lowdown
4.  Lay Low
5.  Off The Record
6.  Golden
7.  Bermuda Highway
8.  Dondante
9.  Cobra
10. Highly Suspicious
11. War Begun
12. Steam Engine
13. Dancefloors
14. Mahgeeta
15. Phone Went West (Loooooong jam versions)

capt. scotty

QuoteIf you were given the choice of 15 songs to show a friend or the world for that matter. What 15 songs do you put on that CD?

Wouldnt it make more sense to pick 80 minutes worth of MMJ songs since that is the amount you can fit on a CD?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

woodnymph

I just have to chime in and say how weird timing this post is; I just attempted to put one together last night for a friend.... I spent a good couple hours trying to really piece them together in a way I knew my friend would feel them out-- wanted to make a lasting impression... I opted to make an electric album and an acoustic one (with Acoustic citsuocA and Acoustic Chorale...) I think the hardest step is making that first impression... if that's done well, I mean they'll be in the same boat as all of us crazies :-P

A Greatest Hits, to me, is a bit different from an album for putting friends onto them with... cause friends are sometimes pretty critical (at least in my experience), and you really gotta gauge the mix to the personality it's about to enter.... or maybe that's just my grand over-thinking gene wreaking havoc again......

He wants to go see them with his friends when they come to Pitt in August, so I hope my opus of a mix creation will set things in motion... time will tell!....... I did open the electric album with Gideon, though, and closed it with Steam Engine. Wanted to open it like the sun opens up in the clouds, and close it like your brain when it melts in the twilight........
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

The DARK

They would all have to be live recordings. Every time I've tried to put together a compilation like this, it's impossible to make it flow. The production quality, lyrics, and instrumentation have varied so drastically between the albums that it doesn't sound like the same band. Okonokos + Acousic Chorale overrules all here. It's still THE compilation for MMJ's greatest songs.
In another time, in another place, in another face

SaraBananaBear

QuoteI just have to chime in and say how weird timing this post is; I just attempted to put one together last night for a friend.... I spent a good couple hours trying to really piece them together in a way I knew my friend would feel them out-- wanted to make a lasting impression... I opted to make an electric album and an acoustic one (with Acoustic citsuocA and Acoustic Chorale...) I think the hardest step is making that first impression... if that's done well, I mean they'll be in the same boat as all of us crazies :-P

A Greatest Hits, to me, is a bit different from an album for putting friends onto them with... cause friends are sometimes pretty critical (at least in my experience), and [highlight]you really gotta gauge the mix to the personality it's about to enter[/highlight].... or maybe that's just my grand over-thinking gene wreaking havoc again......

He wants to go see them with his friends when they come to Pitt in August, so I hope my opus of a mix creation will set things in motion... time will tell!....... I did open the electric album with Gideon, though, and closed it with Steam Engine. [highlight]Wanted to open it like the sun opens up in the clouds, and close it like your brain when it melts in the twilight........[/highlight]

First highlight, I agree, from my experience it definitely helps if you adjust the first choices according to personality. But like you said, once they're hooked, they're hooked, mwahaha! Then they'll gladly listen to Good Intentions on repeat...  :P I'll even go as far as to say it helps how and where you play it  ;) (loud upbeat song while driving for my mum)

Second highlight, beautiful, I like it!  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

searchinbig

I've often thought about this and instead of racking my brains to come up with a greatest hits compilation, the only solution would be a complete BOX SET set featuring ALL their albums. It's the only way. Management??  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

woodnymph

QuoteI just have to chime in and say how weird timing this post is; I just attempted to put one together last night for a friend.... I spent a good couple hours trying to really piece them together in a way I knew my friend would feel them out-- wanted to make a lasting impression... I opted to make an electric album and an acoustic one (with Acoustic citsuocA and Acoustic Chorale...) I think the hardest step is making that first impression... if that's done well, I mean they'll be in the same boat as all of us crazies :-P

A Greatest Hits, to me, is a bit different from an album for putting friends onto them with... cause friends are sometimes pretty critical (at least in my experience), and [highlight]you really gotta gauge the mix to the personality it's about to enter[/highlight].... or maybe that's just my grand over-thinking gene wreaking havoc again......

He wants to go see them with his friends when they come to Pitt in August, so I hope my opus of a mix creation will set things in motion... time will tell!....... I did open the electric album with Gideon, though, and closed it with Steam Engine. [highlight]Wanted to open it like the sun opens up in the clouds, and close it like your brain when it melts in the twilight........[/highlight]

First highlight, I agree, from my experience it definitely helps if you adjust the first choices according to personality. But like you said, once they're hooked, they're hooked, mwahaha! Then they'll gladly listen to Good Intentions on repeat...  :P I'll even go as far as to say it helps how and where you play it  ;) (loud upbeat song while driving for my mum)

HAHAHAH! Good Intentions on repeat that's awesome :-P Thanks girl! The how and where you play it is also sooooo true, and that's hilarious or at least uncanny you say loud upbeat song while driving for the mumski, cause that's the exact same scheme I've been using with mine! I currently still live at home most of the time though, so I'll bust out Acoustic citsuocA and Acoustic Chorale at home, and my mom was always asking who it was. Now she knoooows! And when I had to drive her somewhere the other week, she says "Play some of that 'Morning Jacket,' it's so soothing!" Hahah love it!

I hope my friend will see the forest for the moving trees here. My friends have been a tough crowd to put on, but I've got a good feelin' this time  8-)

Might I add, S.B.B, your blog is a vortex of great energy that is just overflowing with the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods hehe I wanted to post that on the actual thread, but I couldn't hold back, so I'll hafta meander back to it and leave another post there too  :P

woodnymph

QuoteI've often thought about this and instead of racking my brains to come up with a greatest hits compilation, the only solution would be a complete BOX SET set featuring ALL their albums. It's the only way. Management??  :)

I second that emotion!

vwxg14a

Off the top my head...

1. One Big Holiday
2. Steam Engine
3. Run Thru
4. Dondante
5. Touch Me Pt 2
6. Lay Low
7. Off the Record
8. Evil Urges
9. Phone Went West (Live)
10. They Ran (Las Vegas Palms Version)
11. Mageetah
12. It Beats 4 U
13. Gideon
14. At Dawn
15. Wordless Chorus

with 5 Bonus tracks: Golden, War Begun, Lowdown, I Will Sing You Songs, Anytime

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

rusty95

I would have to go with a series.  Start off with some TF, AD and mix in some acoustic. Then give em some ISM and mix some ep stuff.  Now hitem with a mix of Z and Okonokos.  Hopefully by now they cant wait to hear EU.  Good luck.   ;D

btw I would keep the content on the low side of each cd.  May be easier to connect to just a few great songs at a time.

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

Love Dogg

Depends on the friend.  You never can go wrong with Acoustic Citsuoca.

Plus, you have to think that for us, fifteen songs isn't enough...but for people who haven't heard them before, I would say 11 songs would be just right.  And they would be yearning for more...at which point, you've got them right where you (we) want them.

I've turned a lot of people on to the Jacket, but the mixes were all different.  Your favorite songs may not impact them right away.  Remember...this is a selfless act.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

SaraBananaBear

HAHAHAH! Good Intentions on repeat that's awesome :-P Thanks girl! The how and where you play it is also sooooo true, and that's hilarious or at least uncanny you say loud upbeat song while driving for the mumski, cause that's the exact same scheme I've been using with mine! I currently still live at home most of the time though, so I'll bust out Acoustic citsuocA and Acoustic Chorale at home, and my mom was always asking who it was. Now she knoooows! And when I had to drive her somewhere the other week, she says "Play some of that 'Morning Jacket,' it's so soothing!" Hahah love it!

I hope my friend will see the forest for the moving trees here. My friends have been a tough crowd to put on, but I've got a good feelin' this time  8-)

Might I add, S.B.B, your blog is a vortex of great energy that is just overflowing with the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods hehe I wanted to post that on the actual thread, but I couldn't hold back, so I'll hafta meander back to it and leave another post there too  :P

Oooh, I like your style, I also love a fellow schemer...  May MMJ conquer the world, one mum at the time! Next up I'm going to work on making my dad an addict... Mwahaha! ;) Most of my friends have been kinda tough too, but slowly but surely they're coming around. Things that have helped so far are playing Okonokos, the American Dad episode and playing the songs myself (people don't have the heart to say no and once the tune gets stuck, they'll be going for the original (and better version, wow did I just place a bracket within a bracket? (crazy)), mwahahah). ;)

And thanks for the blog feedback, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! It's so much fun sharing things with people that are so positive like most people are on this forum :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

johnnYYac

I think its fair to say that the "IF" part of this thread is not necessary.  Who here hasn't made an MMJ mix to bring friends or family into the fold?  

Here's my first attempt, from almost 2 years ago, when it was just 3 months from my first exposure to their music on SNL.  I called it "A Taste of My Morning Jacket"

Wordless Chorus
One Big Holiday
I'm Amazed
Golden
It Beats 4 U
Sec Walkin
Lay Low
Aluminum Park
Evil Urges
Gideon
Librarian
What a Wonderful Man
Into the Woods
I Will Sing You Songs
Highly Suspicious
Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2

Of course, today I'd definitely make some adjustments...
At Dawn
Bermuda Highway
Steam Engine
Tyrone
War Begun
etc...

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rusty95

I agree fully with Tyrone, that may get someone's attention.. Yeah Track 1
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

DaFunkyPrecedent

The man just asked for 15 songs people....geeze ::)

This would never fit on one CD - but that's why god gave us iPods.

In This Order Of Course.

1. Maghetta
2. The Way That He Sings
3. I'm Amazed
4. It Makes No Difference
5. Phone Went West (Live)
6. Lay Low
7. One Big Holiday
8. Come Closer
9. Tyrone
10. Wordless Chorus
11. Cobra
12. Dondante
13. Steam Engine
14. Run Thru
15. Touch Me Pt. II
God damn those shaky knees.

woodnymph

So just wanted to throw out that my friend took verrrrry well to the mix and is now coming to the Pitt show in August! Success! Finally!! Now back to the grindstone of getting my other chums on board  :-?

Honest Man

These aren't the exact ones  I would put on there, but probably what would wind up on there.

Lowdown
The Way That He Sings
Bermuda Highway
Phone Went West
I'm Amazed
Highly Suspicious
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Steam Engine
They Ran
War Begun
Gideon
Off The Record
Dondante
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

Soulshine

QuoteThese aren't the exact ones  I would put on there, but probably what would wind up on there.

Lowdown
The Way That He Sings
Bermuda Highway
Phone Went West
I'm Amazed
Highly Suspicious
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Steam Engine
They Ran
War Begun
Gideon
Off The Record
Dondante

Honest Man,

What about Honest Man?

Honest Man,

Honest Man

(I'm only semi smart ass. I'd put Honest Man on that there audio experience)
Because we're all in this together...