Next Album's Sound

Started by wakebord, Jul 03, 2010, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 3000

QuoteI would love a dark, brooding, 9 minute heavy metal song.

I mean, when is Yim going to unleash his inner War Pigs?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRMZk-l_VY[/media]

I would LOVE a metalish ep at least!

Leave the bizarre metal attempts to Ryan Adams please  :P

I'll take whatever I get though and will listen to it thoroughly.

I'm not talking about "bizarre metal attempts by Ryan Adams". We're talking my Morning Jacket, not Ryan Adams.

Jim has it in him, I know he does. They covered Sabbath in the early days. It's in him and it needs to come out.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Ruckus

Yes, a brooding, metal influenced album would be nice.  Kinda like the glimpses in Cobra?

I definitely agree with Choder that EU was disjointed at best and look forward to a much more coherent album.

Of course I would love a prog influenced album of nothing but epics.  Maybe six songs clocking in at around 70 minutes.  I can't say that I'm a friend of Friends Again or their 70s R&B/Funk/Soul covers so I sure hope they don't attempt to go in that direction.  BUT, if they want to go new school, a more dancy type with Touch Me Pt. II type songs wouldn't be so bad.

C'mon.  What if they had released a single album that only contained Steam Engine, Rollin' Back, Dondante, Cobra and Touch Me Pt. II type songs.  That's where we're headed.  Screw radio accessibility.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

QuoteYes, a brooding, metal influenced album would be nice.  Kinda like the glimpses in Cobra?

I definitely agree with Choder that EU was disjointed at best and look forward to a much more coherent album.

Of course I would love a prog influenced album of nothing but epics.  Maybe six songs clocking in at around 70 minutes.  I can't say that I'm a friend of Friends Again or their 70s R&B/Funk/Soul covers so I sure hope they don't attempt to go in that direction.  BUT, if they want to go new school, a more dancy type with Touch Me Pt. II type songs wouldn't be so bad.

C'mon.  What if they had released a single album that only contained Steam Engine, Rollin' Back, Dondante, Cobra and Touch Me Pt. II type songs.  That's where we're headed.  Screw radio accessibility.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm waiting for my instrumental. And I'll consider any song that has no more words than there are in the chorus to "Wordless Chorus" to be an instrumental track.

I doubt we'll get 100% epics though, but I doubt even more there'd be an album that doesn't have at least one song that turns out to be absolutely monstrous, whether it be studio or live.
I'm surrounded by assholes

wakebord

well whatever its supposed to sound like, from Jim's mouth in the presser for the Louisville show, they're "workin' on it."

Honest Man

The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

SmokinShootin

I'm hoping for some more soul.

columba78

One third songs like "One Big Holiday", "Off the Record"
the other third slow songs like "Librarian" and "Smokin`from Shootin`"
the last third songs like "Touch Me I am going to scream Part 2"

That would be my perfect MMJ record :)

EasyRyder

I'm hoping for a deliciously classic Motown sound twisted into sweet rocking goodness. I'm feeling an upbeat album.

If this doesn't happen though, the album must be dark, monstrously huge and brooding...but I think that was what Evil Urges was meant to be.

As a side note: Does anyone know how long it took them to record Evil Urges? I've seen interviews where they said the album was put together quicker than any other. I only want a time frame upon which to base my judgments regarding when the next one will pop out.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

SaraBananaBear

QuoteI'm hoping for a deliciously classic Motown sound twisted into sweet rocking goodness. I'm feeling an upbeat album.

If this doesn't happen though, the album must be dark, monstrously huge and brooding...but I think that was what Evil Urges was meant to be.

As a side note: Does anyone know how long it took them to record Evil Urges? I've seen interviews where they said the album was put together quicker than any other. I only want a time frame upon which to base my judgments regarding when the next one will pop out.

Well, in an interview with Vanity Fair Jim said that the album slowly came together over a couple of years. And I think they spent June 2007 in a rented cabin/studio (Hideaway studio) in Colorado Springs making demo recordings. During this visit the band had 22 or 23 songs that they played around and learned. And in an interview with Spin magazine Jim said that they boiled those down to 18 and then again down to 14.

But as for the actual recording period once done with this, I'm not sure.  :-?
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

blucas

...though i love the handful of great songs that came from EU, i'm hoping the "whitman's sampler" approach was a single album experiment.  

JJ and the band seemed to have an 'old school' mmj swagger at SDSU the other night, from the way they attacked the songs, to the new song Circuital, to the crazy incredible setlist.  I look forward to a new album that echoes this!!!
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

headhunter

the next album will sound like

..... my favorite album of the year!   that's all that matters.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Soulshine

Whatever I think of will be surpassed by what they deliver, it always is.
Because we're all in this together...

SaraBananaBear

the next album will sound like

..... my favorite album of the year!   that's all that matters.

I agree with this!  :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Erik26

Ciruital is so good. I can see the new album being more accessible to new fans than EU was.  
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Bigsky

So I think it's safe to say that Circuital will be on the new album. With that said, I think we are in for yet another sound from MMJ. If you compare Circuital to EU, it is hard to find any likeness. I love how MMJ is always changing and growing and opening my ears to their chilling music.

Maybe Circuital is the title track to the new album... :o

Penny Lane

tell me, spirit....is it?

'sir kwee tull'
'sir cute-ol'
'sir keh-tull'

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Bigsky

Quotetell me, spirit....is it?

'sir kwee tull'
'sir cute-ol'
'sir keh-tull'

sometimes JJ sings circuits, but in the begining it does sound like 's-keh-tull'  :D

capt. scotty

'sir kwee tull'
'sir cute-ol'
'sir keh-tull'

sounds like "sir-q-itall" to me
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

'sir kwee tull'
'sir cute-ol'
'sir keh-tull'

sounds like "sir-q-itall" to me

thanks, capt.. ahhh 4 syllables makes more sense...!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill