The Way That He Sings

Started by ericwindmill, Sep 29, 2010, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Who do you all think 'he' is?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

SaraBananaBear

"The Way That He Sings  is just about all my favorite singers, really, just the fact of being in love with the way something is, rather than what it appears to be or is presented as. There is nothing more pure and beautiful than the human voice and oftentimes I just drift away listening to Roy [Orbison, Pitchfork assumes] or Neil [Young, Pitchfork assumes] sing a song, and it doesn't matter really what they're saying or they're playing. You know, it's all about the moment. And I feel the same way about love. I kind of mention that little rascal too from time to time; I guess it's inevitable. I mean just loving things for what they mean, not just what they seem to mean. Dig?"

- Jim James
(Pitchfork interview, August 2002)
:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Love Dogg

It's Jim's autobiography.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ynwa

Quote   "The Way That He Sings  is just about all my favorite singers, really, just the fact of being in love with the way something is, rather than what it appears to be or is presented as. There is nothing more pure and beautiful than the human voice and oftentimes I just drift away listening to Roy [Orbison, Pitchfork assumes] or Neil [Young, Pitchfork assumes] sing a song, and it doesn't matter really what they're saying or they're playing. You know, it's all about the moment. And I feel the same way about love. I kind of mention that little rascal too from time to time; I guess it's inevitable. I mean just loving things for what they mean, not just what they seem to mean. [highlight]Dig?"[/highlight]

- Jim James
(Pitchfork interview, August 2002)
:)

i sure do
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

ralph

this song is really doing it for me at the moment which is strange cause it had never really stood out before. It had always just sort of been there and never overally grabbed my attention too much.  But right now I cant get enough of it - studio version or Okonokos vesrion or the T5 version. And now I'm really hoping that I get to see it in April...

Anyone else had this happen to them with The Way That He Sings?
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

jaye

Quote from: ralph on Feb 17, 2012, 08:40 PM

:) It happened to me after hearing Jim's solo acoustic version.  It had never been one of my favorites until then. 

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

ralph

Quote from: jaye on Feb 17, 2012, 08:53 PM

:) It happened to me after hearing Jim's solo acoustic version.  It had never been one of my favorites until then.

Now theres a thought. Full Jacket version and then solo Yim version at Boogie.  Good thinking Jaye!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

EasyRyder

live, this is always a highlight for me...never been able to say why or reason it out, I guess that's the idea  ;) definitely one of the many from the MMJ repertoire that seems timeless to me.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

zanjam

anything + reverb always = better

zanjam

I'm sorry, but when I see this thread, all I can think of is Brad Hamilton in Fast Times at Ridgemont High saying"Not great???" when his girlfriend told him about their sex.  I just don't get it?  Not great?  Are you kidding me?   How does The Way That He Sings not permeate all your beings the way it does mine?!?  Why does my mind blow to bits every time they play that song?   Discuss.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

jimsflyingv

Yes, same way here after hearing it live in London:

My Morning Jacket - The Way That He Sings - Live - Somerset House London - 17 July 2011

sweatboard

Thanks, really great version...

It's a feeling that I understand> nutshell

Tracy 2112

prolly my favorite song off ISM
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
prolly my favorite song off ISM

I don't care for anything after At Dawn.

Dillsnufus

The Way That He Sings - (Mann Center)

the one from the mann center was pretty on point for me.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

subinai

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
The Way That He Sings - (Mann Center)

the one from the mann center was pretty on point for me.

agreed. this is my favorite version i've seen.

MamaKel

My Morning Jacket - The Way That He Sings (incomplete)

Maybe I'm partial, but this was my favorite one from this tour...this is only part of it, but even the black and white reminds me of this concert I saw with Roy Orbison, Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello and a bunch of other people a few years back...gives it that nostalgic feel...

zanjam

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 18, 2012, 02:40 AM
Who said it wasn't good

Just the folks who didn't love it from the get-go.  Having to be won over by it.