Who's Excited for Wonderful...& the new album?

Started by Bigsky, Nov 16, 2010, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

I have listened to the new album several times. I hate it   :-\
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

HighlySuspicious

Quote from: darkglow on Jan 24, 2011, 11:02 PM
listening to the experimental (and groundbreaking if i must say) approach they are taking to playing music live.. i think this next album is going to throw us for a loop. when they are playing music live now it's like they are taking you on a journey.. i just posted this video in another thread but i think it goes here too as a point of reference

Dondante part 2 - My Morning Jacket 2010.10.22 Terminal 5 NYC

this makes me scratch my head as to wonder what kind of dark/sinister stuff is being recorded in that church right now? so glad they are doin' this one live

YES.  Just YES.  Thank you, that was phenomenal!! 

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 26, 2011, 04:42 PM
:o

BigBossMan

Maybe the album will include "Friends Again" from their tour early last summer.  I really liked that song on some of the bootlegs....here's hoping
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurtin' anybody

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

HighlySuspicious

Quote from: BigBossMan on Feb 07, 2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe the album will include "Friends Again" from their tour early last summer.  I really liked that song on some of the bootlegs....here's hoping

That song is certainly...catchy, to say the least.  I can't say it's my favorite of the "new" songs we've heard, but I'm interested to see what they would do with it on an album.  The first time I heard it, I thought it was too "poppy" feeling and I felt like I've heard it done before, but the more I heard of it, the more interesting it became to me.  I'm very curious to see how it fits into the framework of the album, since we haven't (in my opinion) heard a lot of things in that vein from them.

toretm

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 07, 2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.spin.com/gallery/first-look-my-morning-jacket-studio

sorry if already posted. excited

MMJ are returning to the reverb-drenched Southern rock sound that launched their career

Oh Yes this is exciting  :thumbsup:

Bigsky

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 26, 2011, 04:42 PM

I just listened to the new album and it said it hated you... ;)

e_wind

Quote from: HighlySuspicious on Feb 07, 2011, 02:32 PM
Quote from: BigBossMan on Feb 07, 2011, 12:59 PM

That song is certainly...catchy, to say the least.  I can't say it's my favorite of the "new" songs we've heard, but I'm interested to see what they would do with it on an album.  The first time I heard it, I thought it was too "poppy" feeling and I felt like I've heard it done before, but the more I heard of it, the more interesting it became to me.  I'm very curious to see how it fits into the framework of the album, since we haven't (in my opinion) heard a lot of things in that vein from them.

I believe that in some interview one of the dudes said we have already heard 3 of the songs live. If I didn't just make that up then Friends Again will be on the record. I like Friends Again more than Circuital.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Bigsky

OK...I'm ready to hear some news on when this shit is coming out. My itch is getting out of control...where's my jacketitis medication?

darkglow

yeah.. according to some.. it'll be out in 3 months.. im ready to hear some news too

columba78

I hope that the new CD will be a mixture of "It Still Moves" and the best of "Evil Urges" and not too much of "Tennessee Fire" which is too slow for my taste.

I am also a bit worried about the use of strings as I don´t really like them in Rock music.

We will see, I am little bit sceptical about the new album. I am not so excited about the new songs as anyone else here on this board. Maybe that is because I have only heard
them on youtube and for me they are "just okay". So far they have not blown me away yet, but I had that with several MMJ songs while listening to them for the first time I say, this is just an okay song but the more I hear them the better they get. "Libarian" is an example for that

Honest Man

Quote from: toretm on Feb 07, 2011, 02:47 PM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 07, 2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.spin.com/gallery/first-look-my-morning-jacket-studio

sorry if already posted. excited

MMJ are returning to the reverb-drenched Southern rock sound that launched their career

Oh Yes this is exciting  :thumbsup:

I second that! REVERBBBBB!!!!!
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

el_chode

I still expect the studio album to be wholly normal. I stand by my theory that they're becoming more like Phish in the sense that the studio work is a blueprint for the actual songs on tour.

As such, I rarely listen to the studio albums anymore unless I'm looking for that "album" feel, and then it's usually At Dawn

I don't expect Wonderful to be mind-blowing the album, though I think Circuital has the capability to transcend the studio.

That's not to say that the albums are boring or will suck. I'm still looking forward to this more than anything else this year, and I will listen to it frontwards and backwards, dissect it and pick it to pieces, and in the end it won't matter because I know that even if for some unthinkable reason it is a total snoozefest, it will still be (a) better than most albums and (b) mind-blowing live.

There are only two things that can ruin a MMJ song for me. One is if they for some reason go all KOL and make some super-glossy every-song-sounds-the-same radio rock, the other is overexposure a la I'm Amazed.
I'm surrounded by assholes

johnnYYac

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
I still expect the studio album to be wholly normal. I stand by my theory that they're becoming more like Phish in the sense that the studio work is a blueprint for the actual songs on tour.

As such, I rarely listen to the studio albums anymore unless I'm looking for that "album" feel, and then it's usually At Dawn

I don't expect Wonderful to be mind-blowing the album, though I think Circuital has the capability to transcend the studio.

That's not to say that the albums are boring or will suck. I'm still looking forward to this more than anything else this year, and I will listen to it frontwards and backwards, dissect it and pick it to pieces, and in the end it won't matter because I know that even if for some unthinkable reason it is a total snoozefest, it will still be (a) better than most albums and (b) mind-blowing live.

There are only two things that can ruin a MMJ song for me. One is if they for some reason go all KOL and make some super-glossy every-song-sounds-the-same radio rock, the other is overexposure a la I'm Amazed.

Hey, Chodester.  I agree with everything you've said, pretty much.  I think we know the album will include Friends Again, Wonderful, and Circuital, so I don't think we have to worry about the "every-song-sounds-the-same" issue.  Those are 3 very different songs.

As to overexposure, I'm curious as to what exposure I'm Amazed received.  I don't listen to commercial radio for music at all.  I also don't know if the song made it onto any of the charts (do they still do that?).  I have I'm Amazed as my ringtone, its the first MMJ tune I heard (along with Evil Urges on SNL in May '08), and I own about 200 Starbucks free download cards for I'm Amazed (all expired and "worthless").  I suppose its the most commercially viable track from EU. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 21, 2011, 11:45 AM

Hey, Chodester.  I agree with everything you've said, pretty much.  I think we know the album will include Friends Again, Wonderful, and Circuital, so I don't think we have to worry about the "every-song-sounds-the-same" issue.  Those are 3 very different songs.

As to overexposure, I'm curious as to what exposure I'm Amazed received.  I don't listen to commercial radio for music at all.  I also don't know if the song made it onto any of the charts (do they still do that?).  I have I'm Amazed as my ringtone, its the first MMJ tune I heard (along with Evil Urges on SNL in May '08), and I own about 200 Starbucks free download cards for I'm Amazed (all expired and "worthless").  I suppose its the most commercially viable track from EU.

Yeah, I wasn't saying they sound the same or that there's even any danger of it. I feel like that's about as probable as auto-tuning Yim's voice.

Overexposure is my wife's fault. She listens to radio sometimes, and the ONLY MMJ song the NYC "decent" station plays was I'm Amazed. That's it. Nothing else. They're actually pretty diverse for terrestrial radio, but they still only played that. I think I've even heard more MOF songs on that station than MMJ songs. Then every time I go shopping with her, in every goddamn Kohls/TJMaxx/wherever...I'm Amazed. My friends' girlfriends would say "Oh I love MMJ" and by that, they meant they heard I'm Amazed a few times. So it's all they played at social gatherings. My mom knows it, and she only listens to showtunes.

No fault to the band, it just caught on, and I'm not complaining about an actual guitar solo being on the airwaves either.

My theory is that when you hear any song more times by someone else's choice than by you're own choice, it's more likely to come up when you don't want it to and you grow tired of it. Same thing happened to me to Zeppelin/Hendrix/Doors songs/Floyd songs when Top 40 only spins the same 2 or 3 songs by the band. LA Woman is not a bad song, neither is Watchtower or Whole Lotta Love.

I am to MMJ what a deadhead is to the Dead, then I'm Amazed is my Touch of Grey (I like Touch of Grey, for what it's worth)

johnnYYac

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 21, 2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I wasn't saying they sound the same or that there's even any danger of it. I feel like that's about as probable as auto-tuning Yim's voice.

Overexposure is my wife's fault. She listens to radio sometimes, and the ONLY MMJ song the NYC "decent" station plays was I'm Amazed. That's it. Nothing else. They're actually pretty diverse for terrestrial radio, but they still only played that. I think I've even heard more MOF songs on that station than MMJ songs. Then every time I go shopping with her, in every goddamn Kohls/TJMaxx/wherever...I'm Amazed. My friends' girlfriends would say "Oh I love MMJ" and by that, they meant they heard I'm Amazed a few times. So it's all they played at social gatherings. My mom knows it, and she only listens to showtunes.

No fault to the band, it just caught on, and I'm not complaining about an actual guitar solo being on the airwaves either.

My theory is that when you hear any song more times by someone else's choice than by you're own choice, it's more likely to come up when you don't want it to and you grow tired of it. Same thing happened to me to Zeppelin/Hendrix/Doors songs/Floyd songs when Top 40 only spins the same 2 or 3 songs by the band. LA Woman is not a bad song, neither is Watchtower or Whole Lotta Love.

I am to MMJ what a deadhead is to the Dead, then I'm Amazed is my Touch of Grey (I like Touch of Grey, for what it's worth)
Its funny, I was going to cite the Touch of Grey example, which really changed the live G. Dead experience.  I don't think MMJ has had their ToG moment, yet.  I'm so out of touch with the mainstream, I just don't know.

On my Sirius radio, I've programmed in for an alert anytime MMJ is played on ANY of their stations.  It has not alerted me in months.  A mixed blessing, I suppose.

el_chode

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 21, 2011, 12:03 PM

Its funny, I was going to cite the Touch of Grey example, which really changed the live G. Dead experience.  I don't think MMJ has had their ToG moment, yet.  I'm so out of touch with the mainstream, I just don't know.

On my Sirius radio, I've programmed in for an alert anytime MMJ is played on ANY of their stations.  It has not alerted me in months.  A mixed blessing, I suppose.

Really? Before I dropped it, I got one usually every other day. The only snag is that mine would not pick up on some live performances on Jam_ON, which didn't matter since I usually had that on. But Sirius was predictable in that sense - if it came on Alt Nation, it was I'm Amazed or Off the Record. If It was Sirius XMU it would be Off the Record or something else of Z (usually). If it was Jam ON, it was OBH/Dancefloors/Mahgeetah/Run Thru. If it was Chill (33) it was Knot Comes Loose.

I dont' think I'm amazed change the live experience. But I do think it serves as the "anchor point" for a lot of people as their main contact with a band that otherwise has no real cross over.

johnnYYac

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 21, 2011, 12:20 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 21, 2011, 12:03 PM

Really? Before I dropped it, I got one usually every other day. The only snag is that mine would not pick up on some live performances on Jam_ON, which didn't matter since I usually had that on. But Sirius was predictable in that sense - if it came on Alt Nation, it was I'm Amazed or Off the Record. If It was Sirius XMU it would be Off the Record or something else of Z (usually). If it was Jam ON, it was OBH/Dancefloors/Mahgeetah/Run Thru. If it was Chill (33) it was Knot Comes Loose.

I dont' think I'm amazed change the live experience. But I do think it serves as the "anchor point" for a lot of people as their main contact with a band that otherwise has no real cross over.
Touch of Grey drew a lot of noobs to Dead shows, especially after the MTV video.  It was a more transforming change in the live Dead experience than the draw of new fans to MMJ following EU and I'm Amazed. 

You've nailed what my past experiences with Sirius alerts was.  Maybe my alert setting is reset.  Also, I'd only know it if they played MMJ from 6:30-7:15 am or 3:30-4:15 pm.

woodnymph

Hey, sorry JY & EC, I wanted to keep up with the quote boxes but I started to get lost a little....  :D

Chode, I work some pretty long days at my restaurant job, and they play the same Sirius station 24/7/365... not sure which it is, but it's more turds than caviar, by far.... but the only MMJ song they EVER play is I'm Amazed. So overexposure describes my experience too  :-\  Man there's always one new crappy song that comes on and the opening notes ALWAYS sound like Masterplan, and I almost always nearly shit a brick... then realize it's the crappy song. But they definitely play lots of MOF, "Dear God," "Say Please," and "Losin' Yo Head" are the norm.....

And JY you've got a good point about the 3 songs we know to be on the new album sounding different, which puts it into perspective for me in a good way....

It's been a long day, and I'm pretty beat, so I don't really know where I was going with all that but felt compelled to respond  ???  I also like the ToG analogy  8)

And I'm definitely stoked to hear the masterpiece that will be created and sent to us from other various dimensions!!!  :D :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

the_wizzard

Oh my goodness, oh my gracious....

AWESOME article in the new RS on the new album.  No link on RS's website, but man, I am stoked!

Too much to share here, when the article goes live on their website, I am sure a link will come. 

And did you know that "Wonderful" as well as another song on the album, "Out of my System" (described as power poppy) were intended for a Muppet project?  I sure as hell didn't.  Apparently the project got canned.  Unfortunate for all....