MMJ and fame and Gawker Stalker

Started by thebigbang, Apr 03, 2006, 05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but today I read these two items and they really kinda got me to wondering about some things:

First I read this about GawkerStalker:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1744959,00.html

And then I got around to reading this genuinely innoccuous little post on the MMJ forum:
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1143138402

I wonder if at some point in time if most people will decide the lack of privacy is not worth any type of celebrity or public familiarity/fame.  Of course, the Orwellean type scenario is that after the celebrities, it will be the everyman/woman/child who is mapped and LiveTracked.

Honestly,  this is not meant to be picking on anyone in this forum.  Some folks who post here are relatives and friends and not just fans.  And I've probably been guilty at some point in time of mentioning running into some of the MMJ guys the night before and revealing something about there comings and goings, but I can empathize more and more with the plight of anyone with any level of celebrity in this day and age.

As a result,  I think I'll be less likely to run to the web and discuss personal activities of any celebrity I happen to chance upon without their permission or unless it is obvious they are involved in publicity at that time (making it not personal activity, I guess).

As an example, Derby is only a few weeks away and celebrities will be all about this podunk town and most will be here for public purposes and I doubt they mind it if their whereabouts are discussed (probably they are seeking any and all hype).

Maybe this stuff will all sort itself out.  But I fear it could get really bad given the technological advances we keep seeing.  I hope the band get's it fair share of not being observed just for mental health reasons.

Here's the Gawker Stalker site if you want to see what the fuss is about:
http://www.gawker.com/stalker/
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

primushead

Isn't it ridiculous what celebrities have come to mean in society?  It blows my mind that Vh1 can air a 24 hour marathon of nothing but celebrity gossip and what not.  

And why are we (as a society) so intrigued?  I'll admit that after shaking Jim James hand and exchanging a few words I was starstruck and immediately told all my friends about it.  But taking it to the extreme that the site you mentioned has...documenting EVERY aspect of, let's face it, a fucking ACTOR'S life just seems kinda foolish.  

I totally side with Clooney's bitching...to a certain point.  If you're gonna be an A-lister or big rock star, you're going to have to accept that you'll be in the limelight and much attention will be focused on you...but again, they are only human and deserve a little respect when it comes to that.  I dunno....damn, that was one of the longest ramblings I've had in a while :-/

EC

one of the frustrating things is that people don't put themselves in other peoples' shoes.  they don't think about what it would feel like to be constantly bombarded and gawked at, or talked about for the regular stuff you try to do like a normal person.

i remember when a good friend of mine here in town suddenly got really famous, and we went for drinks, and he was just bombarded by people.  the people were lovely, but it was fucking annoying as hell and i wanted to punch them even though i knew they just wanted to express thanks or whatever.

and, ahaa, i have done it.

i wish it was like france, where all you did was clap when your favourite artist passed, and didn't talk to them or anything.

JacketGal

i wish it was like france, where all you did was clap when your favourite artist passed, and didn't talk to them or anything.
I had no idea! Is it one clap or like a round of applause?

But seriously, I think that celebrity has become vulgar. We seem care more about what Britney Spears is wearing than we do about the current  world issues concerning real people and our planet. I'm guilty of it too, we all are to an extent.  I supposed some celebrities feed on that but it must get tiring and sometimes scary.

I also think the internet has done immense dammage to our privacy. I just read a book called the Digital Person and it is quite frightening to think about the bits and pieces of information that are out there about the common man (that may be wrong) let alone the sites that are out there for celebrities and it's just mind boggling.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

MMJ_fanatic

Clooney isn't worth the time it would take to open & close  the shutter of the camera.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Sleazy Rider

They get paid plenty to deal with their "problems".
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

primushead

QuoteClooney isn't worth the time it would take to open & close  the shutter of the camera.

That's why he avoids it with the batsuit.

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

primushead

Thank you, thank you.  It was a good assist on your part, too. 8)