Jim James/Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters

Started by dragonboy, Sep 06, 2006, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Mojo 155 Oct 2006:
11 page article on Elton John in the 70's. Haven't read it yet but noticed this comment by Jim in a side panel entitled REG TRADEMARKS (His best songs by people who know)

Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters (Honky Chateau 1972)
Jim James (My Morning Jacket)
"There was a period in college when all I listened to was Elton John. Few things sound better on vinyl in your bedroom late at night than old, sad Elton John songs, Mona Lisas being my favourite. Later, seeing in used in Almost Famous made me cry, in a good way. I record some of my favourite vinyl onto my computer and sometimes when I'm feeling lonely on the road nothing makes me feel at home more than the pops and crackles of a good song like this one."
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

sweatboard

"Jim James on Elton John".............that just doesn't sound right.   Anyway, great article, thanks for posting.  I couldn't agree more on early Elton John.  It was probably about 4 years ago but there was a period there for about 4 months where 90% of what I listened to was early Elton John.
There's Still Time.........

suebeeboo

I really like that song - especially a live version by Ann and Nancy Wilson I have on dvd.  It's so beautiful!  This is why I absolutely love this band -- it's all the good, real, sexy, meaty stuff that makes you crazy.  I saw them open for PJ here in Chicago and I loved them instantly!  I went to Best Buy and bought the cd's they had and then went on Amazon and bought all the rest.  It's too late for me!  IM ADDICTED!
other times I can barely see

EAZYE

welcome aboard suebeeboo :)  Glad you liked the jacket.  take the time to listen to all their stuff if you haven't already, u will enjoy.  Cheers again for joining.   :D
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

whothrewthecake

i started spinning this record today because of this thread. thanks, dragonboy! honky chateau is so good. most sad elton songs make me cry. the piano plays my heartstrings. i have cried to mona lisas many times.  :'(

DuDess

Quote"Jim James on Elton John".............that just doesn't sound right.

since when doesn'T it sound right? jim covered a song of him... ::) ;)

dragonboy

Quotesince when doesn'T it sound right? jim covered a song of him... ::) ;)
Hey Dudess, my Astoria going buddy!
Jim James On Elton John was the original subject for the thread. Sweatboard pointed out that it didn't 'quite sound right' which prompted me to change the subject title.
Sweatboard may or may not have been referering to Elton's...how should I say...preference in partners? (the fact that Mr. John is homosexual) hence 'Jim James On Elton John' not sounding quite right  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.