Dead Covers at the Fillmore?

Started by Pookiecool, Nov 29, 2006, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pookiecool

Does anyone know MMJ's stance on covering the dead?  Judging from the covers list in this forum, they have yet to cover the dead, but it would be pretty sweet to hear a dead cover over the three NYE shows at the fillmore.

Possibly "They Loved Each Other", Jim's voice would go pretty well with that one.

Or...?

suebeeboo

That would be fffffffffff-ing AWESOME!  I think JJ could do a melt-down version of Birdsong!  Whew!  Don't even get me thinkin!  I'm having trouble enough today!   :P :o :P :o :-* :-*
other times I can barely see

corey

suebeeboo

QuoteI'll pass and say "HELL NO!"

Oh!  Poopey-time-station!  (Yer no fun!)   :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Why don't ya try some of that free crack...or are we talkin ass-crack?

corey

I'm sure I'm not the only person here that hates the Dead.

.Walt

yes you are the only one!

but i would like them to play something like "easy wind"
maybe cause i love pigpens voice and bluezzy feel
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

suebeeboo

QuoteI'm sure I'm not the only person here that hates the Dead.

HATE?!?!  Corey, I really like you and now I'm worried.  I can relate though because I too have anger management issues, or else why would I even respond to this post?  I'd just ignore it and let it roll off me, like water on a duck's back, but I always feel bad when people talk negative about the Grateful Dead because I think Jerry was a special human being who worked hard and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people for as many years as he could do it.  I haven't heard too many people say negative things about him, but of course, we are all entitled to our opinions....

Peace, bro!

ycartrob

I think it would be cool to see Jim do an acoustic Jim version of Ripple or Scarlet Begonias.

I used to hate the Dead b/c people would equate me to being a Dead head b/c I liked the Dead. It's complicated.... Unbroken Chain and The Wheel are 2 songs I can definently relate on, in a real deep way like.

Also saw Robert Hunter do all his Dead songs on the acoustic about 4 years ago. That helped.

Pookiecool

The Dead's history at the fillmore is enough to constitute a cover by the Jacket.  Do doubt two of America's many great bands.  

If it is okay for them to cover Easy by Lionel Ritchie, it is okay for them to cover the Dead.

corey

OK then. How about:
I really, really, really dislike their music.

I'm not denying the fact that they are/were talented musicians. I just can't stand the music.

[size=10]Although, I enjoy Counting Crows' cover of "Friend of the Devil". Did I just admit that?
[/size]

Pookiecool

Nice fine print bro.  

Don't have to like the dead to appreciate them, iconic American tribe.  

Are you going to the Fillmore shows anyway?

corey

I wish. That's on the other side of the country. I don't have the kind of scratch to fly to shows like some people seem to have.

ycartrob

QuoteOK then. How about:
I really, really, really dislike their music.
I'm not denying the fact that they are/were talented musicians. I just can't stand the music.

I don't know Corey, I swear I don't have a hard time picturing you noodling in a loin cloth to a Grateful Dead cover band's version of Sugar Magnolia in some random field in northern Alabama with 2 or 3 hippy chicks who dropped out of Birmingham-Southern, whacked out on X and driving their daddy's SUV. I can see this pretty clearly...

ratsprayer

QuoteI'm sure I'm not the only person here that hates the Dead.

you are not alone.

Pookiecool

QuoteI wish. That's on the other side of the country. I don't have the kind of scratch to fly to shows like some people seem to have.

Priorities man.  I am flying from New Zealand for the show.  I have only seen them once, this year at Bonnaroo (which I flew from New Zealand to see as well) and I am hooked.  

I used to like phish until they got worse than Justin Timberlake

Haha

I was already flying back, just got lucky enough that they were playing

corey

QuoteI was already flying back, just got lucky enough that they were playing

Shouldn't that be in fine print?
;)

I also have priorities. They're called my wife and child and having a roof over our head.  :)

Pookiecool

Couldn't figure out the fine print, glad to see you have your priorities sorted

Jaimoe

I find The Dead done by MMJ an intriguing notion. There's elements of The Dead in MMJ's sound, along with other legendary rootsy rock bands like The Allmans, The Band, Crazy Horse and Skynyrd to name a few.

I understand people not liking good bands. I hate many good bands like The Eagles and old and new Genesis.

Pookiecool

Eagles suck.

Gotta love Genesis, if not at least Phil.

If you need any inspiration, just watch American Psycho, he sold me

Jellyfish

Just imagine Jim singing "China Doll".......pure bliss. :)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need