6/20/04 Nashville show revisited(three years gone)

Started by George_Savage, Jun 20, 2007, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George_Savage

I have this date seared into my memory, like a bunch of other MMJ show dates:  10/25/01, 3/15/02, 3/19/02, 7/16/02, 9/4/02, 6/3/03, 9/17/04, 10/6/05, and many others.    This marks the three year anniversary of MMJ at Exit/In in Nashville, the first time I'd seen the new lineup.    I was blown away by 'em, of course.   Their fanbase had grown quite a bit; this was the first show at Exit/In since their Conan debut (Sept '03), and just 14 months prior here at Exit/In they played to only 150 or so.    Jim dealt with a heckler that night, believe it or not!    The heckler was unceremoniously led away, as he should've been.    Back to 6/20/04, though:
a bunch of hardcores had brought a sign that said 'Phone Went West' and when Jim saw it and said 'that's very sweet', but they weren't in a PWW mode, I guess, at this point.     This show also marked the first time I'd heard any part of Cobra live - I couldn't believe it when I saw on this forum that they were playing Cobra.  It was awesome.   A taper named Nick Graham taped, that show is widely distributed, I'm sure.  I also had the privilege of meeting the inimitable Riny after the show.   It was a show for the ages.   I think that Patrick or Carl got sick near the end of the show and they were outside throwing up (maybe that's an exaggeration, the brain plays funny tricks on one after so many years!).    Been on a big MMJ kick lately with the demos out and everything else.  I found my copy of Okonokos (CD) and had recently been blown away by Xmas Curtain, a perennial favorite.  If I had more time, I'd rate the top 25 MMJ - that's a Great thread.   I've long been a rater - a friend and I have rated Beatles and Doors, and I've rated Neil Young twice - oh, to have the spare time that I used to have!     Long live MMJ and the tapers and traders.

Low Dog
"peace to all you beautiful creatures" -Jim, '02

megisnotreal

this was my first jacket show.

good times.

corey

This was my first MMJ show as well. I'm pretty sure it was EC's first MMJ show too. Right?

I have a copy of this show somewhere that Nick taped. Haven't listened to it in forever.

Wasn't Brian the one that made the PWW sign? I remember seeing the sign, but didn't know Brian at the time. I was still pretty new to the board, but I remember reading about that sign when I got home the next day.

It was Patrick that was sick. At that point, I wasn't completely familiar with who played what instrument other than JJ being on guitar and vocals. I remember him saying something to the effect of "Pete just had to go out back and throw up, so I'm gonna play a couple by myself real quick".
I was like, "who the fuck is Pete? There's nobody named Pete in this band".

ycartrob

yes, I was there. We were right in front of Jim and when he came out my wife yelled, "Hey Jim" as he was leaning down to his pedals and he looked up smiling and said, "Hello!"

that was a fun night.

sweatboard

YES!!!!  It's so funny that Me, Tracy, Meg, Corey, Meg, Low Dog, Riny, etc. etc. were all at that show but we didn't know each other.  I would KILL to be at a show with you guys at this point.  Of course Rites Of Spring was a good one, we need to do that again....Corey  ;)  

That was me with the Phone Went West sign (I had my art crew work long and hard to make it appealing as possible to Jim's eye), I had seen the band for the first time in Knoxville earlier that week, It was Carl and Bo's second show.  Anyway, I had only seen a video of Phone Went West live and it was pretty much the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  I guess at that point Jim was still not comfortable playing PWW, I think he referenced that later on (that he felt like PWW was a special song for the original lineup and he didn't feel comfortable playing it with the new band) in an interview.  I'm glad they finally brought it back.  I remember after the first set I put the sign directly on top of Jim's foot pedals so that I would be ABSOLUTLY sure he saw it.  He picked it up and laid it near the drum risers.

It was crowded in there that night, hot & sweaty, loud, lovely, magical, etc. etc.  That was the show I think I got my original screen name from (Sweatboard)  I remember being in the front row, I had my hand on the stage and at one point Jim stepped on my hand with his foot (back then he didn't wear shoes), I looked up and he was just murdering the solo to One Big Holliday out of his guitar and sweat was just pouring off his fretboard and his hair was whipping me in the face over and over again....HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!  

I had no idea who Pete was at the time either but I eventually figured out it was Patrick and he was suffering from dehydration.  I'm not surprised; they were on FIRE that night.    
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Oh yeah, and this weird dude kept taking pictures of my wife all night....So Strange.  ;D

I later found out it was just Riny.   :-*

cmccubbin@work

what was the heckler yelling at Jim?

how did he handle it?
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

megisnotreal

YES!!!!  It's so funny that Me, Tracy, Meg, Corey, Meg, Low Dog, Riny, etc. etc. were all at that show but we didn't know each other.  I would KILL to be at a show with you guys at this point.  Of course Rites Of Spring was a good one, we need to do that again....Corey  ;)  

That was me with the Phone Went West sign (I had my art crew work long and hard to make it appealing as possible to Jim's eye), I had seen the band for the first time in Knoxville earlier that week, It was Carl and Bo's second show.  Anyway, I had only seen a video of Phone Went West live and it was pretty much the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  I guess at that point Jim was still not comfortable playing PWW, I think he referenced that later on (that he felt like PWW was a special song for the original lineup and he didn't feel comfortable playing it with the new band) in an interview.  I'm glad they finally brought it back.  I remember after the first set I put the sign directly on top of Jim's foot pedals so that I would be ABSOLUTLY sure he saw it.  He picked it up and laid it near the drum risers.

It was crowded in there that night, hot & sweaty, loud, lovely, magical, etc. etc.  That was the show I think I got my original screen name from (Sweatboard)  I remember being in the front row, I had my hand on the stage and at one point Jim stepped on my hand with his foot (back then he didn't wear shoes), I looked up and he was just murdering the solo to One Big Holliday out of his guitar and sweat was just pouring off his fretboard and his hair was whipping me in the face over and over again....HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!  

I had no idea who Pete was at the time either but I eventually figured out it was Patrick and he was suffering from dehydration.  I'm not surprised; they were on FIRE that night.    

i remember this. i had never heard pww and was like, "what song is that, man?" you were literally RIGHT next to me.

me and my girl had this sign that said "y'all rock." and jim saw it and said, "no, you guys rock." it was pretty sweet.

i remember being BLOWN THE FUCK away and kept saying "i have a new favorite band now."

do you guys remember when they came out for an encore and had that inflatable ghost that said boo? that was also awesome.

it's wierd that we were all at this show and didn't know each other.  :o

sweatboard

Yeah, you guys were really sweet to make room for my wife and I.  Thanks again!!!

That ghost picture is really so great the Bear Head and the Skeleton Bones in the background make it........  THIS BAND IS AMAZING!!!!!  

George_Savage

Quotewhat was the heckler yelling at Jim?

how did he handle it?

I'm not sure what he was yelling at Jim because I was in the back, but I think he was basically saying 'you suck' in so many words.  I later heard that this guy was a musician from Nashville, but I have no idea who he is.  He was probably just drunk and jealous of all of the attention that MMJ was getting.   The crowd was down to about 50 for the end of the show; the band had played the first part of the set and Jim came back and did Golden (I believe for the first time, but certainly one of the first times ever - I learned the name of the song the next night in Atlanta from their manager Mike and Johnny Q).   He sang Golden and then a bunch of hardcores hollered out "I will be there when you die!" and Jim went into it - he sang about 2/3 of it before the heckling incident.   Jim stopped singing and said something like 'You wanna get up here and sing then? and backed away from the mike and then he said something like "you know, there's nothing like some asshole ruining the show to bring you down" - after he was led away then Jim went back into "there will be bigotry and there will be open minds" - he sang it louder and will a lot of emotion.   After that, the band came out and Patrick got on the mike and said something like "Thanks for leading that asshole outta here!" - then they proceeded to play Easy Mornin Rebel.  It was the first time I'd heard it, but I believe that I read later that they'd played it at a New Year's Eve show a couple of years back.  They played it again in Atlanta the next time, too.  Those shows are out there somewhere.  I can send it to someone if they want to put it up somewhere.   It was a weird night because of the heckler, but the show was awesome, as always.  I think that they played Steam Engine near the end as well, possibly.  Have fun.

Low Dog

ycartrob

Quotewhat was the heckler yelling at Jim?

how did he handle it?

I'm not sure what he was yelling at Jim because I was in the back, but I think he was basically saying 'you suck' in so many words.  I later heard that this guy was a musician from Nashville, but I have no idea who he is.  He was probably just drunk and jealous of all of the attention that MMJ was getting.   The crowd was down to about 50 for the end of the show; the band had played the first part of the set and Jim came back and did Golden (I believe for the first time, but certainly one of the first times ever - I learned the name of the song the next night in Atlanta from their manager Mike and Johnny Q).   He sang Golden and then a bunch of hardcores hollered out "I will be there when you die!" and Jim went into it - he sang about 2/3 of it before the heckling incident.   Jim stopped singing and said something like 'You wanna get up here and sing then? and backed away from the mike and then he said something like "you know, there's nothing like some asshole ruining the show to bring you down" - after he was led away then Jim went back into "there will be bigotry and there will be open minds" - he sang it louder and will a lot of emotion.   After that, the band came out and Patrick got on the mike and said something like "Thanks for leading that asshole outta here!" - then they proceeded to play Easy Mornin Rebel.  It was the first time I'd heard it, but I believe that I read later that they'd played it at a New Year's Eve show a couple of years back.  They played it again in Atlanta the next time, too.  Those shows are out there somewhere.  I can send it to someone if they want to put it up somewhere.   It was a weird night because of the heckler, but the show was awesome, as always.  I think that they played Steam Engine near the end as well, possibly.  Have fun.

Low Dog

I was standing right next to that guy and he said, "You know how stupid you look up there?" (and it was one of those amazingly quiet times when the audience was letting Jim sing).
that was my first show

EC

oh my god i just got major chills and they're not going away.  has it really been three years?  

i know i'm really dramatic, y'all, so take me with a grain of salt, but the weekend i went to nashville, and that concert specifically, changed my life.  i've told the story about a gazillion times to anybody who'd listen, but it started this chain of events that still hasn't stopped.  i remember every single thing about this concert.  i remember feeling like i was in a vortex of new life, i remember this dude trying to get me to slowdance with him, i remember tom heinl and bobby bare, i remember the solo encore, i remember the stage dressings, i remember specific thoughts that i had during particular points in the show and how the light was, i can see it as plainly in my head as i remember my childhood house.

i didn't know that all of you were there - i knew about some of you.  brian, that was kind of our first introduction because you'd posted that you had pictures, and i'd emailed to ask you for them, and then you'd taken one that had all of the people i was there with in it!

isn't it interesting that this monumental event happened at the solstice?
perhaps not so crazy, really.  what i do find bizarre is that i've met most of you since then.  like, even special people who live in the netherlands. ;)

well my god, i am certainly having one of those days.  how amazing.

cmccubbin@work

that is great hearing how Jim handled the heckler...can't believe someone would do this...especially a fellow musician who should know how hard it is for someone to bear there soul in front of many people every night...hope someone eventually kicked the sh*t outta this guy...
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

corey

QuoteOf course Rites Of Spring was a good one, we need to do that again....Corey  Wink    
woo-boy!

Me and Meg (EC) met that weekend. We knew each other through a Wes Anderson message board first. Then we worked on a website called extramedium.org together for a little while. We also had a friend there named Chad (he used to post here as hellaciousC). Damn, that was a fun weekend.

Set I
Golden
Just One Thing
It Beats For You
Lowdown
The Way That He Sings
Strangulation
One Big Holiday
I Will Sing You Songs
Dancefloors
Cobra
Mahgeetah

Encore:
The Bear *
Bermuda Highway *
Nashville To Kentucky *
Run Thru

Comment
* Jim James solo

EC

thanks for waving my nerd flag, corey.
;)

actually, this thread made me tell the nashville story (again) to the girl i work with.  she was especially fond of the ass incident, and i do love revisiting that glorious moment.  oh motel 6's, how you have shaped my current outlook on life.  you beautiful complexes with waffles houses and hooters with big orange palm trees, how many nights have i spent within you?  oh so many.

whothrewthecake

Quotethanks for waving my nerd flag, corey.
;)

actually, this thread made me tell the nashville story (again) to the girl i work with.  she was especially fond of the ass incident, and i do love revisiting that glorious moment.  oh motel 6's, how you have shaped my current outlook on life.  you beautiful complexes with waffles houses and hooters with big orange palm trees, how many nights have i spent within you?  oh so many.

i'm almost positive dorothy and i know this story now, too

EC

Quotethanks for waving my nerd flag, corey.
;)

i'm almost positive dorothy and i know this story now, too
correct.  it was an item on the agenda for the conference call we had.

hellaciousc

this was my first MMJ show too.
also my first time meeting corey and meg, and corey's better (or at least equally as cool other) half.   helluva fun time!

(sorry that pic is so big...i resized it, but it's still showin up huge)

EC