What Kind of Success Do We Hope For?

Started by otter, Jul 30, 2003, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

(For this topic my examples are larger scale bands. Mostly because there is a higher likelihood that everyone will know who I'm talking about. I know there is a bigger side of music that is non-arena bands, and I'm sure a lot of them are very successful)

There are various types and amounts of success.

Record Sales, Overall Popularity, Satisfaction of the Die Hards, Quality and number of Live Performances, Concert Sales(bars vs arenas), Longevity in years, Group Cohesion(on stage, road, and in the studio) and Volume (both in number of albums put out and songs in live repertoire).

There are very few bands that can claim rights to all of these. Bands like Led Zepplin, The Doors, The Beatles, Nirvana and Guns N Roses who were all, in their time, as big as you can get...yet they all lacked longevity.

There are current bands like Radiohead, Dave Matthews, Matchbox 20, and Foo Fighters that are selling out big venues and show signs of sticking around, but only time will tell.    

Some bands make their livin' on the road. And don't really rely too heavily on record sales because they pack the house nearly everywhere they go. Bands The Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Phish and acts like Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson have played many consecutive years, and enough venues in any given year, that it's the same amount of revenue as selling a boatload of albums. They are usually the ones with the tightest followings...because they give their fans multiple chances to see them....better than a disc once every year or two.

Some bands like The Stones, Aerosmith, U2 and people like Bruce Springsteen, and R.E.M do the super stadium world tours every few years and have found their way through different decades still producing on a large scale....doing their thing, as well as changing with the times.

I don't know which type is more important than another in terms of the success of a band. I've been giving this some thought lately and wondered what you all thought about  success and how it may someday pertain to My Morning Jacket.

Oz

I've always thought of MMJ as a band that would last. Slowly gaining more and more fans, but not yet really being the big thing and probably never going to be the really really big thing, 'cuz bands that are that big these days, never last. I think R.E.M. is a good example. Starting out as a college band, cult, very well respected, then getting some really major hits, after 7 years, being really big for a while, then slowly seeing their popularity decrease, but still doing their thing, doing it good, keeping it real. I doubt MMJ will ever be huge, but they'll probably have some hits, though not in the Britney Spears area. I think they'll be huge amongst people that love quality music. Alas, to get really big, you have to appeal to kids. So, anyway, this is what I think (and hope), but you never know, do you?
I'm ready when you are

Flo

While I hope MMJ sell millions of records, I'm confident that, due to how incredible their live show is, they'll be able to make an above average living touring ala The Dead, Phish, etc. for years to come.

Their recent print material (ent weekly, Rolling stone, etc.) of late is amazing, it keeps getting more and more exciting, we're counting the days until the new album comes out.

52ND STREAM MEDIA, UNLTD.
WWW.52MEDIA.COM
POB 7005 LOUISVILLE KY 40257
SEND PRESS KITS GET ON OUR BROADCASTS

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotewe're counting the days until the new album comes out

32 more to go.....
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

There should be a clock counting back the days, hours, seconds before the album´s out on the opening page from this site. Or is that too much of a Millennium-cliché?
I'm ready when you are

MarkW

Quote from: peanutbutterpuddinsurprise on Aug 07, 2003, 07:53 AM
Quotewe're counting the days until the new album comes out

32 more to go.....

Five days to go until Circuital.  Whatever happened to that 2003 release?
???

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

DejaView2011

Looking at MMJ's career so far it's been a slow and steady rise to musical and critical acclaim. I'm proud to have found this band when I did, as I get to witness the next phases in this evolution and musical journey and I feel RIGHT NOW this star is about to explode. I'd really LOVE to see them get the recognition they truly deserve. BUT.... with that, the fans pay the biggest price as tickets get too expensive and almost impossible to get your hands on. It's a double edged sword, but in the end, I'd rather see them conquer the world and let this TRUE music reach the masses that need it so badly. :)
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: Oz on Jul 30, 2003, 06:00 AM
I've always thought of MMJ as a band that would last. Slowly gaining more and more fans, but not yet really being the big thing and probably never going to be the really really big thing, 'cuz bands that are that big these days, never last. I think R.E.M. is a good example. Starting out as a college band, cult, very well respected, then getting some really major hits, after 7 years, being really big for a while, then slowly seeing their popularity decrease, but still doing their thing, doing it good, keeping it real. I doubt MMJ will ever be huge, but they'll probably have some hits, though not in the Britney Spears area. I think they'll be huge amongst people that love quality music. Alas, to get really big, you have to appeal to kids. So, anyway, this is what I think (and hope), but you never know, do you?

This guy is pretty much spot on. Congrats Nostradamus! They (arguably) peaked in 05-06 but still have an evergrowing and and devoted fanbase.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tdb810

Love reading stuff from the good 'ole days! 
.....Back at the Model Home

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.