Started by LaurieBlue, Mar 01, 2007, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.relix.com/Features/Playlists.html

User Rating: / 1
Written by Rebecca Carter    
Friday, 23 February 2007  
Photo by:by Wes Orshoski

1. Curtis Mayfield, "To Be Invisible": I found the best Curtis record, one I'd never heard, called Sweet Exorcist at this old antique mall in "tha ville." Man, it is a powerful record. To listen to his gentle voice sing about wanting to be invisible, and all the troubles going on in the world when he wrote it and nothing much has changed since... makes you sad but hopeful to know there are people like him who do care and can so eloquently capture what people are really feeling: "To have to take what you can get/ Sure can make a heart upset."

2. Sam Cooke, "That's Heaven To Me": Now, I have heard 3 or 4 different versions of this classic song, but I found this super slow and creepy one and it blew my mind. Religion is such a strange thing, it can bring so much beauty and cause so much pain, but to hear Sam sing about all the simple pleasures in life being "heaven" for him kinda brings it all into focus for me. That's the way I like to think about "god" and "religion": as love and fun and the simple pleasures in life, and no one sings about it better than Sam.

3. Dr. Dog, "My Old Ways": Man! I can't get over Dr. Dog! I saw the video for this one on the interweb and I can't get it out of my head. So soft but pulsing and the harmonies are brilliant. Few people are making music this rich and detailed anymore. I don't want to go back to my old ways....

4. David Crosby, "Laughing": They just released this in 5.1 and it is a mind blower. The bass is huge, the harmonies are "heaven" and Jerry Garcia's steel guitar makes me wanna weep! Perfect.

5. Marvin Gaye, "Trouble Man Soundtrack": I once read somewhere that this was the work that Marvin was most proud of... and it really shows in the performances and the sound of the recording. This album plays as one big song to me, each track flowing seamlessly in and out, similar to What's Goin' On or Dark Side of the Moon: a simple blend of jazz, classical, and pure soul, so dark and so sad. Some of the greatest vocals ever committed to tape. Ever. Deal with it.

megisnotreal

Quoteand no one sings about it better than Sam.

*agreed.

(except for you, jim.)

this playlist is da mad note.

BH

I love how Jim always says "interweb".
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

whothrewthecake

wow #4 really sucks. j/k to the max

Mr. T.

If the new record will be inspired by those songs, we just might get another classic!!

I just love Jim's taste in music
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

EC

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Sherpa

I always get excited when I see Jim's playlists. Immediatley I go and check out everything.

We share the same tastes

DaFunkyPrecedent

the david crosby song is amamzing....i bought the album its on right after i saw Jim liked it.    ::)
God damn those shaky knees.

amybee

I just came across this in an article on jambase.com...

"The big break came in 2004 courtesy of My Morning Jacket's Jim James. After a MMJ show in Philadelphia, McMicken gave James a CD of Dr. Dog's tape-recorder experiment Toothbrush. The CD was decorated with rainbow sprinkles that caught James's eye so he gave it a shot and loved it. A few months later Dr. Dog was opening for one of the hottest bands in America. Before hitting the road with My Morning Jacket, Dr. Dog was playing four or five shows a year. They were barely a band, but they got their shit together fast, and with the money earned opening for MMJ, bought some gear and recorded 2005's Easy Beat to give fans something more in-line with their sound than Toothbrush."

Get the whole story here:
http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=10025

MMJ_fanatic

Great Dr Dog article--I enjoyed their opening slots when I saw them (liked the Slip better but that's just me).  I love alllll of Jim's choices all so sweet to listen too--I am rejuvenated when the younger generations recognize the beauty in the older stuff.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

JerseyGirl