MMJ Guitar String Bracelets - "Wear Your Music"

Started by cmccubbin@work, Apr 27, 2007, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccubbin@work

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

The DARK

In another time, in another place, in another face

red

MMJ_fanatic

never been much for bracelets (don't even wear a watch) but this!  this may make me a new man 8-)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

fan75

QuoteSweet, but oh so expensive.
BTW couldn't you make those yourself with a few feet/meters of guitar wire and some duct tape?

http://savefile.com/projects/808465307
[url]http://savefile.com/projects/808465344[/url]

cmccubbin@work

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43453-shins-death-cab-guitar-string-bracelets-for-charity

Shins, Death Cab Guitar String Bracelets for Charity
Or adorn yourself in metal cast off by My Morning Jacket, Weezer, or Elvis Costello!

Let's say you're the hapless roadie charged with gathering all the snapped guitar strings My Morning Jacket accrue during "Dondante". Slick with sweat and tangling in your natty beard, you pluck the noodle-makers from the fretboard and hand them over to the fine people at Relix Magazine. They, in turn, spin them-- fingernails and all-- into grimy metal rings to the delight of affluent hippies the world over. Sound like a dream job? Or just a staph infection waiting to happen?

For those of us unwilling to get that close to Jim James comes the Relix Band ("the perfect gift for dads who love music," we're told), a bracelet cobbled from used steel strings snapped from the necks of your favorite guitarists' trusty axes. Relix has lined up dozens of artists to contribute their garbage for the bracelets, from hippie legends like the Allman Brothers and Carlos Santana, to the light'n'mellow Guster, Maroon 5 and the Counting Crows, to metal dudes like Slayer's Kerry King and Black Label Society, and, oh yeah, some indie-friendly peeps, like the Shins' James Mercer, Death Cab's Ben Gibbard, Elvis Costello, and a couple guys apiece from Wolfmother and Weezer.

As if the idea of wearing dingy wires around your wrist wasn't bizarre enough, the Relix Band pricing seems to step out on reality in much the same way as the Relix Band product. The James Mercer and Jim James bracelets both cost the same amount as Maroon 5's Adam Levine's ($150)-- but all of them are $50 bucks less than John Mayer's ($200). Rivers Cuomo's bracelet will run you the same amount as Brian Bell's and Scott Shriner's ($125), and they all kick the shit out of Gibbard ($99). And nobody comes close to Tenacious D ($300)... except for Pete Townsend (also $300).

Sorry, Bon Jovi is sold out.

Proceeds from the sale of these bracelets will go to the charities Headcount, the Rex Foundation, Seva, and Rock'n'Wrap It Up!

Posted by Paul Thompson in wtf on Thu: 06-07-07: 07:00 AM CDT | Digg this article | Add to del.icio.us | Permalink
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Angry Ewok

I'm all about seeking relics that've been blessed in the pulsing, radiant presence of Jim - but this is way too expensive for me.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

EC

cmccubbin@work

Quotethis is all for charity, though, right?

i believe so...thus my justification for purchasing.

ali

did you actually purchase? i was thinking about it, but US$150 is definitely way too much for a bracelet, even if its for charity (the exchange rate works out to about $180, but that's still $180 i don't have at the moment!)
love a song for the way it makes you feel