Main Menu

What's This?

Started by The_DARK, Aug 08, 2007, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMD

QuoteThe thought of Stephen Malkmus and Lee Renaldo doing ANYTHING together is almost to much to handle.

Can't Leave her behind is an amazing song!!!  It's an unreleased song that only appears in a documentary that was never released.  The doc is called Eat the Document.  It was shot by DA Pennybaker, the same guy who did Dylan's Don't Look Back a year prior.  It was edited by Dylan himself which may be some explanation for why this song gets cut off abruptly in the middle of the song.  I wonder if they got a copy of the whole song!?!  my mouth's watering  :D

I saw you asked about rolling thunder review era and the pancake makeup stuff in one of the other various threads about this movie/soundtrack.  Rolling thunder review era dylan was late 74 into early 1978, though the thrust of this time period comes in 1975-76 with the Rolling thunder review tour and the release of desire and blood on the tracks, two of dylan's best albums depending on who you ask.  This era followed the "Lost Years"(1966-1973) in which dylan was mainly in seclusion and precedes the "christian era"(1978-82) in which dylan was trying to alienate his fans in a totally different way. The rolling thunder era was a much more honest, purely artistic era then the other two eras i mentioned.  

The rolling thunder review featured joan baez, roger mcguinn, allen ginsberg, tbone burnett, scarlet riveria, ramblin jack elliot, and others.

after the rolling thunder review tours (I & II), Dylan played one more concert that belongs to this era, The Band's "farewell" concert in which they shot the Last Waltz.   :o

I certainly can't say why he wore that white makeup on his face through this era. who knows why dylan does anything he does.  the more i learn about dylan the more i learn that i don't know anything about bob dylan.

One thing I can't understand though is that Going to Acapulco is from the Basement Tapes (circa 1967ish, deep in the Lost Years) while the whitemakeup stuff was all in 1975-76.  ten years later??  might they do a different song?  or is that picture not exactly from the rolling thunder review era?  one would assume that rolling stone would know their shit, but maybe not.

sorry for the novel, but you getting me talkin dylan and I could go all night.  ;D

ManNamedTruth

The Live Bootleg vol. 5 1975 is one of my favorite live albums, i reccomend.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe thought of Stephen Malkmus and Lee Renaldo doing ANYTHING together is almost to much to handle.

Can't Leave her behind is an amazing song!!!  It's an unreleased song that only appears in a documentary that was never released.  The doc is called Eat the Document.  It was shot by DA Pennybaker, the same guy who did Dylan's Don't Look Back a year prior.  It was edited by Dylan himself which may be some explanation for why this song gets cut off abruptly in the middle of the song.  I wonder if they got a copy of the whole song!?!  my mouth's watering  :D

I saw you asked about rolling thunder review era and the pancake makeup stuff in one of the other various threads about this movie/soundtrack.  Rolling thunder review era dylan was late 74 into early 1978, though the thrust of this time period comes in 1975-76 with the Rolling thunder review tour and the release of desire and blood on the tracks, two of dylan's best albums depending on who you ask.  This era followed the "Lost Years"(1966-1973) in which dylan was mainly in seclusion and precedes the "christian era"(1978-82) in which dylan was trying to alienate his fans in a totally different way. The rolling thunder era was a much more honest, purely artistic era then the other two eras i mentioned.  

The rolling thunder review featured joan baez, roger mcguinn, allen ginsberg, tbone burnett, scarlet riveria, ramblin jack elliot, and others.

after the rolling thunder review tours (I & II), Dylan played one more concert that belongs to this era, The Band's "farewell" concert in which they shot the Last Waltz.   :o

I certainly can't say why he wore that white makeup on his face through this era. who knows why dylan does anything he does.  the more i learn about dylan the more i learn that i don't know anything about bob dylan.

One thing I can't understand though is that Going to Acapulco is from the Basement Tapes (circa 1967ish, deep in the Lost Years) while the whitemakeup stuff was all in 1975-76.  ten years later??  might they do a different song?  or is that picture not exactly from the rolling thunder review era?  one would assume that rolling stone would know their shit, but maybe not.

sorry for the novel, but you getting me talkin dylan and I could go all night.  ;D
Maybe he does a different song in the movie than from the soundtrack?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

CC

Maybe he does a different song in the movie than from the soundtrack?

it was recorded in 1967 but not officially released till 1975.

aMD

yeah, i knew that and was going to mention it, but in my mind the basement tapes belong solely to the lost years.  the gaslight tapes weren't released till two years ago but i would still count that as early dylan since it was recorded in 1962 despite the fact it was released in the 2000s.  maybe i'm being nit-picky but that's what dylan fans are going to do to this film, I assure you.  then again, all this is not within the context of the film itself, so we'll see...

but i still say it's a stretch to say that going to alcapulco is rolling thunder review era dylan.

JohnnyRage

[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

BH

But, did he play it live during the Rolling Thunder Review era/tour?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

QuoteBut, did he play it live during the Rolling Thunder Review era/tour?

No, to my knowledge he's never played it live.  i'll do some research, but i'm almost positive he didn't play it during this time period.

aMD

Confirmed.  No Going to Alcapulco on either Rolling Thunder Review Tour.

And, I'm sorry, but this picture doesn't scream Rolling Thunder Review Thour Era, or any Dylan era for that matter, other than the white makeup.  I don't know what's going on in that pic of Jim, but it ain't the rolling thunder review, IMO. check it out:

The DARK

QuoteConfirmed.  No Going to Alcapulco on either Rolling Thunder Review Tour.

And, I'm sorry, but this picture doesn't scream Rolling Thunder Review Thour Era, or any Dylan era for that matter, other than the white makeup.  I don't know what's going on in that pic of Jim, but it ain't the rolling thunder review, IMO. check it out:

Sorry??? This is good news! If this director knows his Dylan, we'll have 2 Jim covers to look forward to!
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

QuoteConfirmed.  No Going to Alcapulco on either Rolling Thunder Review Tour.

Sorry??? This is good news! If this director knows his Dylan, we'll have 2 Jim covers to look forward to!

That would be nice, but my theory is that he sings going to alcapulco in the surreal scene pictured and the dude from rolling stone doesn't know his shit. but I hope I'm wrong and we get two new covers

BH

I think maybe it's just a little of what they call "Artistic Liberties"

Hollywood is usually more interested in a good story than total accuracy.

I always found it interesting in "Walk The Line" how they changed the dialog from the folsom prison scene, when anybody that has the CD knows it didn't go quite like that.  I mean, why not just make it accurate?  It was just fine the way it was.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

JohnnyRage

Don't you think that Dylan had a vision for what his Rolling Thunder Review was supposed to be honoring or intending to emulate?

Like the Rolling Stones - Rock n Roll Circus?

The result is a contemporary rock n roll show, but you were honoring something different.

How much this applies, dunno?
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]