GBV!  GBV!!

Started by johnconaway, Dec 30, 2003, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

When:      January 23, 2004
Where:     Headliner's Music Hall
Why:       Because it's Guided by Voices!  Do ya need another reason?

Best live show outside of MMJ.  Be it, know it, live it.  Be prepared for carnal loudness, 3 plus hours of inexplicably short song fragments that will never leave your brain, and unhinged binge drinkin' from anyone who ain't driving anywhere afterwards.

Come on.  You know you wanna go.  8)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

Hey, I heard there's a really cheap Best Of GBV released recently. I don't have anything by 'em and I heard lots of good stuff about it, so I'm thinking of buying it. Does anyone know about that Best Of, is it good, is it crap, etc.?
I'm ready when you are

The_Link

It is very good.  And, it is also very cheap.  I do suggest making this purchase.

Oz

Cheap AND good... I wish that was the case for everything in this life..  ::)
I'm ready when you are

my_evening_jacket

:(
>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:46:43 -0800 (PST)
>From: Rich Turiel
>To: postal-blowfish@smoe.org
>Subject: SHOWS CANCELLED
>
>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but due to Bob's
>back injury the St Louis, Louisville and Columbus are
>cancelled.
>
>All shows that were cancelled should be re-scheduled
>for late Feb./early March
>
>More details later.
>
>Rich
>
 :(
shake some action

Beat me to it!  I was this close to seeing if I could weasel tix out for this one...damn it!

Get well soon, Mr. Pollard...

my_evening_jacket

good news John -

>Subject: Makeup dates
>
>With one added bonus date at the end.
>
>March 5-  Dallas, TX- Trees
>March 6-  Austin, TX- La Zona Rosa
>March 7-  OFF
>March 8-  Columbia, MO- Blue Note
>March 9-  St Louis, MO- Mississippi Nights
>March 10- OFF
>March 11- Columbus, OH- Little Brothers
>March 12- Louisville, KY- Headliners
>March 13- Bloomington, IN- Bluebird
>
shake some action

8)

And, it is still on a Friday here in Louisville....

wordawg

JC

Just started to read this thread.  Have just ordered the Best of album.  Looks interesting.  Never heard of them.
the future is Ginger

QuoteJC

Just started to read this thread.  Have just ordered the Best of album.  Looks interesting.  Never heard of them.

Sweet!  If you like the rock, then you'll love GBV.  Be prepared for thirty second ditties to boar into your brain and never go away... ;D

wordawg

JC

Album arrived this morning. Excellent! These songs are just the right length, seriously, they attract your attention and then they are gone (Undertones and Buzzcocks did this in a different way).  Knowing when to leave is very important in life.

Gone.
the future is Ginger

wordawg

Kinda remind me of Big Star!
the future is Ginger

Funny thing, just spent the evening at my friend's house spinning Earthquake Glue and I must have that record!  Great new songs.  In Bob we Trust!  :)

GuidedByMonkeys

Personally I wouldn't buy a best of Albulm for my introduction to GBV or any new band I'm thinking of getting into, but thats just me. I highly suggest picking up "Bee Thousand" widely considered their finest work. Alien Lanes is also a great albulm to start with.

Luckily I live in Dayton and have seen GBV many many times starting around 1990. They are great live, but I must warn ya that either you will love them or hate them from the first hearing most likely.

:)
Hey, if they wanna start lovin' GBV with "Forever Since Breakfast", I say bring it on.

http://gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=951

I am so STOKED for this show on March 12th.  I am THIS close to just saying fuck it and getting tix for Reverand Horton Heat, which is the next night at Phoenix Hill...

Okay, who gave Bob Pollard full license to talk smack on MMJ?  I sure hope his drunk ass was kidding about the shit he was dealing.  "What kind of name is that...do you wake up in the morning and "jack" it?"

Bob, I love you like a hero, but slow down on the bourbon and PLAY songs, not talk shit on the Shins, MMJ, The Strokes...name a band, he had something to say.  Please just focus on what you're fucking great at-kicking total rock ass.

I saw Jackson Cooper, Antoniostrohs, and Rich Dwight there...thoughts on this, guys??

antoniostrohs

I too was quite surpised at some of Bob's drunken ramblings.I hope it was just alcohol induced bad jokes(I'll give him the benefit of the doubt).I hate it when musicians feel it is necessary to put down other artists to feel good with what they do.Like you John, I also am a huge fan of Bob and GBV and usually tolerate his verbal attacks in the name of"Rock n Roll".Also I was kind of disappointed in the show.I was hoping for alot more of the classic tunes mixed in with the much newer songs they were playing.To me it wasn't one of their better shows.

p.s.I'm pretty sure he was drinking tequila(alot) and Lite beer.

Agreed, it was not one of the better shows.  In fact, I told my buddy who was there with me on his virgin GBV experience that this wasn't the best one by far.

The new songs were amazing, but some of those in the middle were just boring.  

I'd still say the second time I saw em at Headliners (in 2001) was the best.  4 hours long, every classic tune...why get away from that?