Lollapalooza cancelled...

Started by johnconaway, Jun 24, 2004, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-06/22.shtml

Thoughts on this?  Poor ticket sales eh....is that a reflection of the lineup, or of ticket sales for shows in general that AREN'T huge festivals, or what?  Was Bonnaroo sold out?  I'm endlessly fascinated by this...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Drunkre

I think it probably has a lot to do with lineup.  That's not to say that I thought the lineup was lame.  I actually thought it would be quite magnificent to see the bands listed, but I also think that the people who are fans of the bands that were supposed to play are a) a little older than your average festival goer b) a little averse to paying outrageous prices for concert tickets (bring back Fugazi and the five dollar ticket!) and c) not necessarily interested in indulging in the nostalgia hour, which, while not necessarily true, felt like what the current Lollapalooza was turning into.  I don't know, I'm talking outta my ass.  Opinions?
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

peanut butter puddin surprise

well, with the oldies hour getting folks to shill out $200 to see U2, or Sting, or Paul McCartney...I'm not sure that's the case.  $5 tix?  Only for small club shows, I'm sure.  

My Relix that just came in the mail the other day had a very interesting article in it about this very topic.  Supposedly, "jam band" enthusiasts weren't happy about having to "share" a festival with "alterna-rockers", or some other bullshit, whiny, elitist nonsense.  Seriously-WTF is it these days with the Music Nazis?  That's what that festival, or any festival I've been to, is supposedly all about-Cross pollinating with other scenes.  There's a laundry list of "jam band" festivals out there that have only String Cheese, etc. on the bills, so what gives?  

And I don't buy it that it's a "reflection" of music today.  Music is more alive now than ever, it fucking rocks-it is the mopey critics and naysayers that are sucking the life out of everything.  Maybe if they'd go to some of these festivals, they'd see more sunshine and get happy.  

I'm sorry, but any festival that has Sonic Youth AND Morrisey on it is cool.  And it was only 31 dates, so I'm lost as to why it had to be shot down...perhaps if they only had, say 20 bands instead of 40+, it wouldn't cost so much to put on.  Just my two cents.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Morrisey is so over rated....Having The String Cheese Incident on the bill makes no sense.  They are a "jam" band and the only on that is.  Based on who else is part of the gig, that is not the last band I would want to see play last.  Also, having the shows midweek makes it difficult for people to hit both days or even one day if you are m-f worker. Make it a Friday-Monday event.  As you said, the relfection term is bullshit and I do agree their are too many bands involved. Bonarro and Coachella were both packed...I am sure that both has the biggest attendance ever.  We will see what happens but I think it has no chance of happening.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

I think it was definitely a reflection on the choice of lineup here.  Call me crazy...  I would have liked to see If the Pixies were going to actually show in Mansfield tho' :-/
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

marktwain

Quotebring back Fugazi and the five dollar ticket!
F*cking A!

I don't know.  I thought the lineup was much better than usual.  I always jump at the chance to see Modest Mouse, and I've never seen Flaming Lips.  I just can't afford festival prices, and I can't abide the crowds.

lyricjunkie

"Maybe if they'd go to some of these festivals, they'd see more sunshine and get happy."

yep... maybe a drop of yellow sunshine LSD might do the trick! ;D 8)  
Talk less....
Say more.

TheMollusk

ok ok.. i got ur answer right here...u may not like morrissey(i do) but the point is this...im in toronto ... i can guarantee moz could sell out two nights alone. then u got flaming lips, who would right now have no prob. selling out, then sonic, and so on...i think there has to be more to it. alone wilco, sonic, moz and the lips would all sell out concerts. i think maybe north america just isn't into the whole "festival" concept like in Europe. it just doesn't make sense, although i would f**kin love to see every one of these bands, u would have a real hard time getting me to hang out in the sun without a good seat for two days paying 12 bucks for a bottle of water to see them. i can downlaod it...you see now? just my opinion tho