Anybody seen 'Festival Express'?

Started by Garth69, Aug 17, 2004, 08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garth69

I saw it Sunday night. Pretty damn good, but not great. If you like the Dead and the Band, definitely check it out. Janis Joplin too, but I'm not a big fan myself.
But here's my question: they Flying Burrito Bros. do a song, but I don't think Gram Parsons was with the band at that point. This was 1970. Anybody know anything about that? It was still a good performance, but since I'm not too familiar with how they look, I don't think Parsons was there.
Anyway, back to the movie, highly recommended, and here's hoping that the DVD will have more performance footage and less pointless interviews.

havibulin

I want to see it. Where did you see it at?

marktwain

Read about this flick in Relix. IT sounds excellent, and I'm excited to see it;  I'm a huge fan of the Band (both in enthusiasm and sheer girth), and since I was born too late to see them live, I can't get enough of their live recordings.

Looks like the express is rollin' into Louisville Sept 3.

//www.festivalexpress.com

Garth69

I'm in Chicago, and I think it's only playing in select cities at this point. This past weekend was the debut. Not sure where else. There's a good official site (don't know exactly what it is, but Google should get you there) that has plenty of details.

MMJ_fanatic

hoo boy,
I'm there when it comes to my neck of the woods!  I love the Band--Rock of Ages has got to be one of the GREATEST concert albums ever (tho' I really like the last waltz too).  
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Garth69

Yeah, the Band kicks ass in the movie, much dirtier than 'The Last Waltz'. I love the Dead, and they come off in a very positive light, although there aren't any monumental brain-melting jams shown. Good vocal, though, something the Dead aren't known for (which is true a lot of the time.) Watch out for the Buddy Guy performance...holy christ.

dogandponyshow

Hope all you Dead fans have all of their DVD's...they are all great.  Anyone see them on tour....saw them in Portland, OR and in George, Washington.  Pretty damn good.  Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring can both shred....

D.

Garth69

Not a fan of the new incarnation, but I've seen some of the setlists, which are interesting. I hear they've done/will do Metallica's 'Nothing Else Matters' (!). I don't know about all that...
I've got a few of the videos/DVDs. The GD Movie is coming out on DVD in November, which will be very nice. The Winterland '78 DVD is awesome. I've got one of the View from the Vaults, but it's with Welnick so it kinda sucks.