I can't get into 'a ghost is born'

Started by TheMollusk, Aug 05, 2004, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMollusk

i try but i cant. i like handshake drugs of course, whats wrong with me?

havibulin

I cant get into it either. I liked YHF very much though.

TheMollusk

yeah, thats what i mean, YHF had some really stand out songs on it, but on this one, i just keep skipping to the next track over and over waiting for something to happen. maybe jeff should start taking drugs again. that gives me an idea

Coltrane

Listen to it with headphones late at night.....maybe while reading something. It will creep up on you and you will be obsessed!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

MMJ_fanatic

never really got into wilco to begin with so i'm probably not missing much :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheMollusk

i think maybe ill try a different 'atmosphere' like you said about the headphones. although, how you can listen to a record on headphones and read a book is beyond me. thats like melting my brain

Coltrane

well, maybe not a book.....maybe just something like the...MMJ forum!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Alyssa

yeah a ghost is born reminds me so much of mccartney, wings or even beatles its erie (which i like), ive had people ask me if it was a new mccartney album when playing it in my car, but um, thats not what i was expecting/wanting from mmj

kymoose

Been a big Wilco fan for quite a few years and have seen them live several times.  Not quite sure what the new album is about or trying to convey--if anything.  It just does not seem to be listner friendly.  Is Jeff still smoking 3 packs and drinking 16 Diet Coke's a day?  Got to have something.

Rabid_Washcloth

I'll chime in on this one since I finally broke down and bought the album.  I listened to it a few times on a road trip, so I was able to really focus on it.  

First few songs are ok.  Tweedy is definitely channeling the Beatles' piano and Neil Young's guitar solos on Old Black.  Actually, the tone of the guitar is Neil's but the style belongs a little more to the late Robert Quine – erratic blasts and screeching that somehow fall together into a solo.  The problem with those first few songs: every tune has something I really like about it, but they also have something I really hate.  

About halfway through the album I find myself ignoring it.  It becomes background noise.  Towards the end of the album, I'm ready to eject the CD – something I can't bring myself to do since I spent $17 on it.  The second to last song ends with 10 minutes of the same noise over and over again.  Now I can appreciate noise done artfully, but this noise never really evolves into anything else interesting – just the same noise for 10 minutes.

My opinion – skip it.  I haven't listened to it since my road trip.  I did buy the live Jay Farrar CD for the drive back.  That one was worth the money and it comes with a live DVD.

MMJ_fanatic

yup I will, sounds like it sucks :(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheMollusk

no, no..im into it now. muzzle of bee's is a great song. worth buying the whole cd for