finally! a nirvana boxset

Started by BeatTheDiese, Sep 04, 2004, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

hey! hey! hey! its about time 8)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Oz

A 1987 house party...? I'm sorry, but the cynic in me says it'll probably be a totally uninteresting drunken gig that nobody would ever wanna see, only this is Nirvana so every archive stuff is supposed to be released. Next year we'll get the 'Kurt Kobain Singing In The Shower' Tapes...
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteA 1987 house party...? I'm sorry, but the cynic in me says it'll probably be a totally uninteresting drunken gig that nobody would ever wanna see, only this is Nirvana so every archive stuff is supposed to be released. Next year we'll get the 'Kurt Kobain Singing In The Shower' Tapes...

once again, to echo previous posts on this topic, this is kurt cobain's nightmare come true:  every single note played being milked for all its worth, in a super commercial kind of way.  how long before a muzak version of "smells like teen spirit" is being played at wal-mart?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

how long before a muzak version of "smells like teen spirit" is being played at wal-mart?

I thinks it already is  ::)

BeatTheDiese

i don't really give a shit about any of it, i'm gonna buy it, i wanna hear it.
- Adam

SMc55

Quotei don't really give a shit about any of it, i'm gonna buy it, i wanna hear it.

And that's what it's all about, surely. I don't get what the problem is. Maybe I'm missing something.

Oz

Well, it's 1987 - the band was without doubt not as good as they would be in their best days - and it's a house party - nothing is as uninteresting as a house party that you didn't visit yourself. Like watching someone else's holiday pictures, or someone else's wedding video. The only reason that this gets released is because 5 years later the band that played there made a shitload of money. I really don't believe that a 1987 house party could be of any artistic value. It's strictly bussiness.
I'm ready when you are

sweatboard

Wow, I'm surprised people aren't that interested in Kurt playing a house party.  What if it was a dvd of MMJ playing a party in thier barn 5 years ago?  I'm really excited about seeing Nirvana in this setting.    
There's Still Time.........

MMJ_fanatic

Maybe I'm missing something.

I think I missed it too

BeatTheDiese

i for one, am looking forward to the house party!
- Adam

Oz

Yeah, well, maybe I have grown a little tired with Nirvana. I just don't think they're that good, they've got some nice tunes, but they're very overrated. But ofcourse that's personal. I also don't really like all those 'privage footage' stuff that gets released from dead artists. Like when Cobains diaries got published, I thought it was a disgrace. Just because someone made some good tunes once, that doesn't mean everything should get released and published. And third of all... I really love R.E.M., as you all know, but I heard a few recordings from very early gigs, when they just started - and you know how most bands say that they really sucked when they started? Most of the times that's true.
I'm ready when you are

BeatTheDiese

i will agree with you on the diaries for sure, i think that was a bad movie, that was obviously courtney love trying to make some more cash off of him. you know she needs a ton to support that drug habbit.
- Adam

EC

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing it - but that's only for fascination purposes.  However, having said that, it seems kind of unfair to allow this stuff to be seen after his death, without his consent on the matter.  Same with his diary.  I find that repulsive.  It's like the Gram Parsons stuff they released since his death - that stuff was never meant to be heard by us, which is why it wasn't put on the albums.  And it's not like he's seeing any profit from it.  Hopefully his daughter might.  Maybe it could pay for a better Mom than the crap one she was stuck with.  Poor little kid.

dogandponyshow

A great book to read about Kurt is Heavier than Heaven by Charles Cross.  It was real tough to put down.  I do think that Nirvana are over rated to some degree.  At their time the music industry needed an overhaul and they were there at the right time with some real different type of music.  THe unplugged disc is awesome.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

it was fun while it lasted but it is feeling kinda dated--don't get me wrong I still like to dust off unplugged or nevermind on occassion ;)

Chills

I'll just wait and see. I hope it's a great release as the band deserves it. We really don't need any ridiculous stuff like The Diaries anymore, a disgrace that that was released.

BeatTheDiese

yeah it really sucks that courtney has control over that type of stuff... i mean, greatest hits wouldn't have even been put out if it wasn't for her trying to make an extra buck off the fans. dave and krist wanted to put ykyr on the boxset, but she created a "best of" with ONE new song on it to make some extra cash.
- Adam

dogandponyshow

That is the worst part about it....she had not part in making in any of that music whatsoever and than battles the D. and K. over the rights.  SHe is flat out kook....

D.