Meaning of "Z"

Started by Grooms512, Feb 10, 2008, 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grooms512

Has it ever been announced why the album is titled "Z"?  Does the title refer to something more personal for Jim or any of the other band members, or rather, is the title stating a more universal message?  Anyone got the goods?  Call to all MMJ fans, offer me your insight.

DavidCrosby

I remember reading somewhere that Jim James just liked the letter Z, there is something more to it but I don't really remember..........(that doesn't really help much now that I have read what I typed).......
listen to vinyl

ChiefOKONO

I still really don't know.  I was thinking about it the other day..

anyway, it took me a while to grow to like that title.

cmccubbin@work

he wrote all the songs when he was 26 years of age and "Z" is the 26th letter of the alphabet.

i believe he said that in an interview....but can't guarantee that.
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Don Dante

Yep, I definitely remember him saying that in an interview, just can't remember where.  Want to say it was on video.  I think he was saying that he just liked the letter and the single letter idea, but the idea was strengthened when he figured out the 26 thing.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

bearass

z is the 26th letter of the alphabet, it can easily be formed into a triangle, and if you knock one of the legs off it's a 7

RastaRunner5

response to coldplay's X&Y

jk

cmccubbin@work

Quoteresponse to coldplay's X&Y

jk

ha ha...i think that was the speculation, but Jim put that to rest with the whole 26 thing.
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Drunkre

Quotez is the 26th letter of the alphabet, it can easily be formed into a triangle, and if you knock one of the legs off it's a 7

that's a quote from the Rolling Stone interview right?
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

bearass

i think it was spin but it made me laughcry

whyteand82nd

well personally i like to think that the name of the Cd is "zed" which is the canadian way of saying the letter "Z"
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

aMD

Quotewell personally i like to think that the name of the Cd is "zed" which is the canadian way of saying the letter "Z"

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

KC

Quotewell personally i like to think that the name of the Cd is "zed" which is the canadian way of saying the letter "Z"

Wow you learn something new about Canadians every day. I actually had to go look this up and can confirm its true.

Alphabet song: "...W X Y and ZED. EH?"
[url="http://37flood.com"]http://37flood.com[/url]

sweatboard

I always thought of it as having to do with sleeping (zzzzzz's).  There is some owl imagery and owls are both Wise AND Awake while most everyone else is sleeping.  It ties into the hybernation/awakening imagery of the early albums.  

The birds are doing surgery on the insides of the owl (filled with city steets and buildings) while the stars are looking over them.  I like to talk about this stuff, yet I feel very awkward, because I can't possibly explain it the way I feel it.  
There's Still Time.........