Johnny Cash

Started by johnconaway, Nov 19, 2004, 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

there's a new book out about the "Live at Folsom Prison" album out right now.  I considered Johnny to be one of my heroes, one of the greatest artists of all time.  He changed things forever with his attitude, style, and 50 years of performing.  

So, do you like the Man in Black?  Thoughts?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

whothrewthecake

definitely love him a great deal. my dad was always playing johnny and a lot of carter family stuff around the house when i was growing up, so it holds an extra special place in my heart.

EC

I love Johnny Cash.  I have a little button on my jacket that has him giving his famous bird to the camera.  It is my 2nd favourite button (aside from my MMJ button I got in Nashville with a bear on it).  

I will never forget.  I had this crazy year a while ago, and I decided to take a break from everything, and go up to my Dad's farm in the dead of winter, and just be alone in the quiet for a while.  My Dad drove me up, and on the way he put on a Johnny Cash record.  It was "Hello, My Name is Johnny Cash", and it was a mix of his earlier recordings.  Except that it had the Bono song on it as well...  Anyhow, the way I was feeling, and the halfway point between day and night, big red setting sun, snow kind of big and soft everywhere, and knowing I was going away from a big bunch of crap just for a while.  We've all that those definitive moments.  (For some reason the men in my life always introduce me to revelational music, and it's always in a car...)  I played that record over and over while I was up there.  My Dad has an outdoor hot tub, and I'd run out there in the snow with a big glass of red wine, and just sing my damn lungs out to the stars.  I learned all those songs in two days.  ha ha.  It was so great.

When he died, I was so sad that I never got to see him live.  I love that footage of him talking about when he first sang "The Man in Black", and how they interviewed the students, and how much it meant for them to have him be a voice that they could look up to.  

Plus, I mean, god-damn, that man is the definition of cool.  I can't think of anyone cooler.  At all.    

Oh yeah, plus, "I Walk the Line" was the first song I ever figured out by myself, without tabs or sheet music, on the guitar.  I know it isn't that hard, and in fact, learning that song kind of taught me almost every country song that exists (I never did do it with the key changes, simply because I couldn't sing 'em).  So it's special that way.  And Folsom Prison Blues was the first song I ever learned picking for.

And his autobiography is great.  

The Boar

In the top 5 of the greatest musicians of the last century. Absolutely brilliant from the start of his career to the end.

Plus, he was born and raised in Arkansas which, for an Arkansan, is quite awesome... 8)

antoniostrohs

A truly great american artist who's music transcended varied musical genres.I'm sure Johnny and June are playing heavenly music together for eternity.

Chills

Johnny rules. Of course Jim James is a big fan too.
There is a live version of him playing I Still Miss Someone
shortly after Johhny died somewhere on the ftp server.
He made some of his best music at the end of his career, how many other artists can say that.
I love that song 'The Man Comes Around'. It still remember listening to it after hearing the news of his death...

marktwain

QuoteThere is a live version of him playing I Still Miss Someone
shortly after Johhny died somewhere on the ftp server.
This is Headliners - Louisville Sept (27?) 2003

Love Johnny Cash - fave is Johnny & June singing Jackson - their voices were great together.  Or how about Johnny & Dylan singing "Girl of the North Country" off nashville skyline.

But folsom prison is just amazing.

Jellyfish

Damn right,JC is da man....in black.I grew up listening to that Folsom Prison album and many of his songs.I respect him personally as well.This world needs people like Cash,a very kind spirit.

"Children,you can choose love or you can choose hate...I choose love"....quote from Cash,told by Rosanne.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

MMJ_fanatic

Mr. Cash was totally the shit.  He could eat Molly Hatchet for breakfast and crap Motley Crue at the end of the day.  LOVE his cover of Reznor's "Hurt" (which incidentally has outsold the original).  Possibly the best part about the man was his incredible willingness to try taking any style of music and make it his own.  Missing Johnny so bad... :'(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

whothrewthecake

the video for "hurt" makes me cry so much. especially when june comes down the stairs and looks at him. i can't handle it.

Quotethe video for "hurt" makes me cry so much. especially when june comes down the stairs and looks at him. i can't handle it.

There was a time when I couldn't even see that video or hear that song.  Kind of like a final goodbye. :'(

whothrewthecake

it is so incredibly moving. sometimes i cry about it because i remember that they are both gone and sometimes i cry about it because of their incredibly strong love that just blows me away.

dogandponyshow

Wow....didn't think JC has such an impact.  No doubt think he is great artist but if on and island with ten artists to pick he would not be on my list.

D.

thebigbang

I agree with that. Like him a lot, but doesn't connect with me enough to make my top 10.

And don't forget, supposedly a distant relative to former MMJ keys man Danny Cash!

QuoteWow....didn't think JC has such an impact.  No doubt think he is great artist but if on and island with ten artists to pick he would not be on my list.

D.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

EC

He would definitely be on my list.  Oh for sure.  :)

lfish

QuoteI will never forget.  I had this crazy year a while ago, and I decided to take a break from everything, and go up to my Dad's farm in the dead of winter, and just be alone in the quiet for a while.  My Dad drove me up, and on the way he put on a Johnny Cash record.  It was "Hello, My Name is Johnny Cash", and it was a mix of his earlier recordings.  Except that it had the Bono song on it as well...  Anyhow, the way I was feeling, and the halfway point between day and night, big red setting sun, snow kind of big and soft everywhere, and knowing I was going away from a big bunch of crap just for a while.  We've all that those definitive moments.  (For some reason the men in my life always introduce me to revelational music, and it's always in a car...)  I played that record over and over while I was up there.  My Dad has an outdoor hot tub, and I'd run out there in the snow with a big glass of red wine, and just sing my damn lungs out to the stars.  I learned all those songs in two days.  ha ha.  It was so great.

Amazing story.  It could be the beginning of a movie (let's say the shining, except for the becoming crazy part then)

And JC fitts in very well.  I also associate music with typical moments in life and typical places.
Music is just amazing.
Johnny Cash was music.
lfish

He was the very first American music badass.  Even Snoop Dogg agrees!

EC

QuoteJohnny Cash was music.
:)