Christmas Music

Started by dogandponyshow, Nov 29, 2004, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogandponyshow

Not a huge Christmas music guy but as the holidays continue the more that type of music comes up.  Anyone have any different Christmast discs other than the Bing Crosby(even thought Little Drummer Boy with Bowie is legendary) that are worth the effort. It would be nice to change it up.

D.

CC

not really xmas music but it always does the job for me during these snowy days:

the singing detective - original soundtrack

(original series, not the lame remake)

mix it with fiasco-style tunes and some elvis

also, still waiting for the flaming lips' christmas on mars
long overdue!

corey

I read that Christmas on Mars is supposed to be on DVD in January. What's up with the lame-ass timing of that one?

(My interest in the band has been re-sparked recently because I got a kick-ass live DVD in a trade a couple of weeks ago).

sweatboard

I'd like to put together a Christmas Rock Mix Cd, any good suggestions.  

MMJ- X-Mas Time is here again, Santa Clause is Back in Town

Pearl Jam- let me sleep it's christmas time, I don't believe in christmas

Smashing Pumpkins- Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer

There's Still Time.........

corey

Ohh...
I don't care for Sum41, but they did a good Xmas song with Jack Black several years ago called "Things I Want". It has lots of good lines...

I put together a nice little Xmas mix several years ago with it, a Snoop Dogg Xmas song, Merry Fucking Christmas by Mr. Garrison and several others...

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteI'd like to put together a Christmas Rock Mix Cd, any good suggestions.  

MMJ- X-Mas Time is here again, Santa Clause is Back in Town

Pearl Jam- let me sleep it's christmas time, I don't believe in christmas

Smashing Pumpkins- Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer

"Baby please come home (Christmas)"--U2
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

I was searching around the internet and apparently there is one called "I saw mommy blowing Santa" by the artist Dr. Dirty that I'll have to check out.
There's Still Time.........

MMJ_fanatic

ahh yes John Valby, brings back memories... ;)

EC

I love the Elvis Christmas album.  I think there's more than one, but they're usually pretty cheap at the record stores.  

Bony M's Christmas album is also really cool.  I remember my Aunt got it one year (shocking for her!), and we all kept listening to it over and over.

My Mom used to play the Vienna Boys Choir Christmas record, so it reminds me of being a kid.  She also used to play Nana Mouskouri's Christmas album.  That I wasn't into as much.

Perry Como's Christmas album is also rock.

I love Burl Ives' Christmas record.  

I'm very excited this year because for the first time ever, my roommate likes Christmas music, too.

There are some VERY exciting Christmas tunes on John's ftp.  MMJ did a Christmas special on a radio station one year, and it's pretty magical.  There is also a jazzy version of X-Mas Curtain which made my week when I heard it.

MMJ_fanatic

can't forget the perennial classic "Little Saint Nick" from the Beach Boys!

SmoothOprtr

Come on!  "Last Christmas" by Wham!
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

The Boar

I guess I am kind of a sap for Christmas music. Much of what I listen to is more or less a nostalgic choice, and I cannot always defend all of it as "good" music.

dogandponyshow, if you are looking to go classic, check out Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "Noel" or Handel's "The Messiah"; new age, check out Cusco's Christmas CD; and for some fun, check out Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

MMJ_fanatic

oooh ya I've got the Guaraldi cd I love the brushes on the cymbals!

EC

Oh, but it's so sad, too.  It gives you that kind of cozy, nostalgic, dimmed-Christmas-tree-light feeling...  Like how you feel on Christmas night when it's all over.  (Unless it's relief that you feel - ha.)  It also reminds me of The Royal Tenenbaums, now.  

CC

let's not forget the sweet sounds of:

EC

That is awesome.  Oh my god.

Oz

Thanks to this topic, a few weeks ago I stumbled across the Xmas record by Low, wich is alleged to be mighty good. Maybe I should buy it for this Christmas... Can anyone recommend it?
I'm ready when you are

Sal Paradise

QuoteThanks to this topic, a few weeks ago I stumbled across the Xmas record by Low, wich is alleged to be mighty good. Maybe I should buy it for this Christmas... Can anyone recommend it?

Maybe if you like Low.
I don't like Low and don't like their Xmas record.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

wordawg

Fairy Tale of New York.

Shane McGowan. A prince amongst writers - rarely equalled, never beaten.
the future is Ginger

ben grimm

Any Aussies on board? How about 'Santa Claus You C*!t' by Bloody Wilson? Not one for the kiddies.