Drive by Truckers????????

Started by sweatboard, Dec 16, 2004, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMc55

I see. That makes it very clear. Thanks Tundra  :)

I confess to having a soft spot for 'Word up'. My daughter has it on her dance mat machine, and  it's one of the few I can do   :-/

sweatboard

(Question: "I'm going to the movies tonight, dawg - you want to go?" Response: "Word!")  ;D

I had to copy the online slang dictionary to my Favorites.  That is Fing hilarious.
There's Still Time.........

EC

(What's a dance mat machine?)

marktwain

I confess to having a soft spot for 'Word up'. My daughter has it on her dance mat machine, and  it's one of the few I can do   :-/

There's no shame - we've all got our soft spots.  Some dig Drive-By Truckers, some don't.  

In the spirit of sharing our soft spots, ever since I was a kid,  I have absolutely LOVED the song 'Edelweiss' from the Sound of Music.  :-[ Dorky? maybe.  But now it's one of my son's favorite lullabyes. :)

wordawg

DBT. Hmm, a bit of an aquired taste in opinion.  Following guidance on here I bought the live album, as I much prefer live to studio.  I ended up liking it - I like the long rambling intros. They haven't knocked my socks off, but I like them enough to have bought another one of theirs.  Its not the future of rock and roll (imho) but I dig it.  They sound as though they are enjoying themselves, and that cuts it for me.
the future is Ginger

wordawg

Meant to mention that I see no similarity to Skynyrd in them, but it hasn't stopped them making me tap my aging feet. Not sure about this 'Southern' thing, but thats what got me here in the first place.

Word  ;)
the future is Ginger

Coltrane

I always though of Drive By Truckers as a pastiche of "southern rock," and "southern rock" as a pastiche of country. it feels like they're trying way too hard.

but what do i know?
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

SMc55

Quote(What's a dance mat machine?)

It's a mat with sections marked on. You connect it to the TV, which plays a song and shows dance instructions. You have to follow the instructions by placing your feet on the right sections at the right time. It then tells you how good or rubbish you are. It's fun  :D

She's got a karaoke machine as well. My kids can clear a house with their voices. The naffer the song, the more they love it   ;D

EC

Oh my god that sounds like fun.  Wowee.  A dance thing AND a karaoke machine?  Man.  When I was a kid and was singing, my parents locked me in the basement.  (just kidding)

Now I need to ask what naffer means.  

How many guitarists play in the DBTs?

corey

They have 3 guitar players/songwriters...

peanut butter puddin surprise

Word.  I was indeed at the KOL show amongst the crowd of antoniostrohs and company...it was Jet that opened, and they wiped the floor with us!  another fun band that people dismiss too easily...IMHO

yo sweatboard, i can relate.  i saw DBT live without hearing one note on the radio or disc, and was not impressed.  my main man antoniostrohs pointed out to me this weekend that they were missing a guitarist that day, which makes sense as the sound didn't seem balanced.  

however, i do like some of their newer tunes, like "carl perkins cadillac", and i do see the pride in their display of their influences.  like all southern rock, it is an acquired taste (just try to like the Outlaws or Molly Hatchet without repeated listening)...kinda like most genres that aren't instantly accessible.  they are playing to what they perceive as their audience, be it themselves or paint thinner huffin' welders who got sick of Skynrd.  (nobody here fits that bill, just an exaggerated example)

it's all good, i sure don't like everything out there (pearl jam, for instance) but respect another's opinion enough to understand why they do.  remember, we're on a music message board and disagreements on these subjects are like a daily occurance...i think we do a great job in keeping a community here that doesn't turn into pitchfork's or cmj's board, full of nastiness based on personal preferences that don't mean shit.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Scared to admit it but the song Word Up was a number one song way back when by the band Cameo. Have the disc and every now and then give it a spin.

Also, once again I think everyone has a different opinion about 'live" shows and that it was great to one person and is awful to another person.  I am sure some of you can name artists that I have seen that we had totally different perspective on what we each thought.

D.

EC

Word everyone.  We've all got different opinions, and that's what makes a board interesting.

Otherwise it'd be like:
"My Morning Jacket rocks."
"I agree."
"Me, too."
"I also like [insert band name]."
"Yeah, man, they rock, too."
"DUDES, I like them, too!"
"Well cool, brother/sister.  What about [insert other band name]?"
"Yeah, they rock."
"I agree."

And then we could have various spellings of the word rock (like rock, rawk, roch [if you're French]), and nobody would come here anymore because it would be boring.

Also, never feel ashamed for liking Word Up.  Cameo was roch.

The Boar

That may be the most hilarious post ever... :D

QuoteWord everyone.  We've all got different opinions, and that's what makes a board interesting.

Otherwise it'd be like:
"My Morning Jacket rocks."
"I agree."
"Me, too."
"I also like [insert band name]."
"Yeah, man, they rock, too."
"DUDES, I like them, too!"
"Well cool, brother/sister.  What about [insert other band name]?"
"Yeah, they rock."
"I agree."

And then we could have various spellings of the word rock (like rock, rawk, roch [if you're French]), and nobody would come here anymore because it would be boring.

Also, never feel ashamed for liking Word Up.  Cameo was roch.

wait a minute...we don't talk like that?!

Word up is pure sugar...

sweatboard

The thread has officialy derailed.  Good to see we're back on top of our game.  I remember the good old days when simple topics would turn into a debate on the gender of Big Bird. ;D  
There's Still Time.........

SMc55

wait a minute...we don't talk like that?!

You know John, sometimes we do sound like that but who cares? It's all good  ;)

MMJ_fanatic

I like Korn's version of "word up"
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

That is also true.  It's nice to feel validated in the music you like, as well.  

(dith, now every time you post, I keep envisioning a British Mum and her daughter dancing to Word Up on some crazy mat that lights up where you're supposed to be stepping.  A nice little vision in my head.)

(p.s.  Is it the real Word Up, or a karaoke cover version?)

Wow.  Maybe they could make one for a My Morning Jacket song.  Although, it might be hard to indicate when you're supposed to start the head thrashing.  Maybe they could have a special hat for that portion.  It'd give your head a little buzz when the banging should commence.

agreed 1000%!