E-Town Radio Show

Started by marktwain, Jan 06, 2005, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

Any Louisville-area folks see the LEO this week?  Jim is mentioned in the "Good-For-Nothing Quiz," and not in the best light.  

I hadn't heard about this "uproar" - can anyone fill me in?

23. Which beloved local performer caused an uproar when he absolutely refused to join the group sing-along with those musicians accompanying him on the syndicated E-Town radio show? [pk]

A. Tim Krekel

B. Dan Gediman

C. Peter Searcy

D. Jim James

(the answer is Jim)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Well, if it's tied to the E-Town show from last May, I can see why.  The Palace show?  Anyone recall that one?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

marktwain

Well, I kind of answered my own question.  Found an old post by John in the band forum (May 20):

"i'm sorry to say that it felt like the show didn't go very well.  lots of PA cut out, generally poor sound system...the big Dave-O was workin' the boards and I think his exact quote was "their PA sucks".  i dunno, just my humble opinion...what's your thoughts on this?  anyone who was there?"

Still...  Is there more to this, or is Paul K just being catty?

peanut butter puddin surprise

good question.  I'll get to the bottom of this.

To fill in the blanks, the guys performed for the Etown show back in May of 2003.  the sound quality was suffering badly due to the PA system being as old as the Palace Theater (read:  REALLY old) and there were numerous times when the sound would just cut out completely.  The other famous person from Louisville (or Oldham County, or wherever she claims to be from) Ms. Joan Osbourne performed that night and didn't seem to have the same issues...but hey.

There seemed to be bad vibes floating in the air, maybe it was just me.  Security hassled people for dancing (what, do Pentecostals own the Palace?) and the evening just seemed weird.  If those vibes are what Jim remembers, perhaps that informed his stance on this.  I dunno, just my two cents.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

So, what, he wouldn't sing with Joan Osbourne?  I wouldn't, either.  

And man, nothing gets me angrier than a place with a shitty sound system.  If you're going to play live music, you'd better have the gear to do it well.

Having said that, I know nothing of what happened.   :)

MMJ_fanatic

why would anyone expect Jim to showcse his voice through a crappy PA?  that would be like taking you Rolls Royce Silver Shadow through the Paris-Dakar rally >:(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.