Soul Coughing/Mike Doughty

Started by olwiggum, Jan 12, 2005, 09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

Anyone hear dig them/him? Seems like I saw them mentioned here before. I just rediscovered them in the last week or so. I posted on another board that I saw Doughty's live solo record in a record store in Nashville last summer (when I was there seeing MMJ). I regretted not picking it up when I got home. Now I really regret it because it is out of print. ARGH.
Some of his solo shows are on archive.org for those that might be interested and have the bandwidth to do get them.
(It would be awesome if you were so inclined so that I could get it from ya through a B&P).

:)

EC

If you tell me how, I would do it for you.

But you will have to give VERY specific details, because I am mostly impaired when it comes to things like that.

:)

CC

haven't heard any solo stuff but do have Soul Coughing's Ruby Vroom. Like it! Know a coupla songs from Irresistable Bliss too. laidback and groovy. kinda living on the same clouds as bands like Morphine, G.Love...

Oz

I have one album of Soul Coughing that I totally love... 'Irresistable bliss.' 'The Idiot Kings' of that album is one of my favorite songs ever. I got to know this band when I saw M. Doughty do a solo show at the Cactus Festival in Belgium many years ago... My first MMJ show was there. A picture of it is on the middle pages of the 'At Dawn' booklet. So, many memories attached. I loved that solo show of him, but hadn't heard anything about him since then, so I thought he left the music bussiness. He never released any solo albums, did he?
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

soul coughing rocks!  that dude's voice is just awesome, in a "i've smoked too much weed" kinda way...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

corey

I've been reading up on him. He recorded a stripped down solo album in 2000, but didn't release it. He has apparently been recording demos and things along the way. He had a band (Mike Doughty and his Band) that played at Bonnaroo this year. That band apparently didn't work out because he has a thing on his blog that says that he is actively searching for bandmates.
My interest was re-sparked when I heard one of his solo songs on a little Sunday morning radio show that my wife usually listens to. I was listening to see if they were going to be giving away tickets to see Wilco and heard his voice... then I remembered how much I love it. Good stuff.

That solo record that I mentioned above has been released on ATO in the last month or so with some new songs that he recorded last year. It would be awesome if he did a tour with MMJ since they are labelmates now.
His website is :
www.superspecialquestions.com

EC, I'll send you a PM or e-mail with some notes. It might be worth it for you too. You'll probably dig his stuff. I downloaded one song the other night and it took an hour and a half. Ouch!

EC

corey

Awesome. I'll definitely have to put some mixed CDs together if you do that for me.

EC

Oooooooohhhhhhhoooooorrrrrrraaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!