www.allmusic.com

Started by O, Jan 12, 2005, 04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

So, I bet a lot of you guys know this site. What do you think of it? I've been using it quite a lot lately and find it a great way of getting good, professional and reliable information about a band and what their best and worst stuff is. For instance, I'm about to order some Joy Division stuff and at first I had a hard time deciding what compilation and what albums I had to buy and that site helped me a lot (FIY: the end result is 'Unknown pleasures', 'Closer' and 'Substance'). Ofcourse I do not always agree with their opinions, but it's such a helpful site. What do you guys think of it? Do you have the same experience, or do you hate it and is there perhaps a bad side to it that I haven't discovered yet?
I'm ready when you are

EC

I like allmusic.com.  I don't necessarily agree with all of their opinions, but I like the way they lay the information out, and I think the factual information is good.

I always find their moods really funny.  For example:
Rolling Stones
"Reckless"
"Menacing"
"Urgent"
"Acerbic"

(acerbic?  what the hell?)

But yeah, I dig it.

lfish

Great site, a lot of information, but 1 pain in the ass:

Mmj - It still moves: only 3 out of five stars???? Com'on??

This can't be real?
lfish

antoniostrohs

Great resource site.Like EC,I don't always agree with their reviews or opinions

dogandponyshow

Not a bad site....here is another site to check out....www.popmatters.com.  Tons of good information.

D.

marktwain

I started using AllMusic when I worked in a book/record store.  It was a great reference tool - and I used it all the time.  I don't like the new format as much, but I still use it a lot @ work (I'm in reference @ the public library)  It's the best & most comprehensive source I've found.

The Boar

Yeah I agree with tundra. I used to use it nine, ten times a day before the new format. Now it is a real drag to load each page, and I find that I rarely use it. Still it is a fairly reliable, middle-of-the-road (think: not Pitchfork) resource.

Jack Cregan

i don't mean to hijack every thread on this page (actually... no ... that is exactly my plan... so watch this space), but if you were to go here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4067299895 you could see what the aforementioned allmusic.com has to say about the Milltown Brothers, and see if that tempts you into making any kind of bid for the slice of early-90s "madchester" indie rock that is on offer.

and remember kids, it's all for a good cause.

i think this "off-topic ramblings" section should be renamed "jack's ebay advertisements". that would be better.