Jim James Acoustic Guitar

Started by ktm293, Mar 20, 2008, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktm293

Does Jim use a Gibson CJ-165?

BH

I thought it was a takamine, but I'm no expert.   Somebody here will confirm shortly I'm sure.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EC

i think he uses a couple (or six).
do you mean the one with the hologram stickers?  that one's a gibson.
and i think there's another gibson.
and there might have been a takamine in the mix on occasion.

i believe that jim james currently uses over 97 guitars, so it's hard to tell...
;)

EC

if you go to the gallery section, there's the rudyard kipling show, which there is def a gibson jumbo.  then if you go to the austin city limits fest pics (aka what the hell were those girls with the pineapples on stage for) it looks like a j-45 to me, but i'm not sure.

can't find any of the hologram ones anywhere immediately, but i'll look more.

edit: on 2nd thought, i take back the j-45 comment.  i think the austin show might've been the jumbo body, too.

so in answer to your question, ktm293, i think the answer is yes, but it's not the only one he uses.

2nd edit: bh, you're right - the hologram guitar is a takamine.  there's a good pic of it from the exit/inn show in 2004 - http://www.mymorningjacket.com/Gallery/2004/20040620.html

jeeez i just got a little misty going through some of those photos from shows i've been too.  what great memories. :)  what amazing people i've met.

aMD

the takamine is the one he writes the majority of his songs on, or at least he used to.

Angry Ewok

Seems like a table or clipboard would be a much better surface for that, but whatever.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

Yeah, I'll bet he's starting to run out of space.  Unless maybe he's using a pencil and eraser.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

Next thing you know, these brainiac know-it-all "insiders" will be trying to convince us he literally scratches his notes into the guitar with a pocket knife.

:) ;) :D :P

aMD

QuoteNext thing you know, these brainiac know-it-all "insiders" will be trying to convince us he literally scratches his notes into the guitar with a pocket knife.

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or trying to be an asshole.  I think it's a little of both.  To clarify, Jim writes music on the guitar, not pen and paper.  He's a songwriter not a composer.  I learned that the guitar he most often uses is the takamine from reading interviews.  I decided to share that knowledge with somone asking about Jim's acoustic guitars on the my morning jacket forum.  If this made me come across as a brainiac know-it-all "insider", so be it.

Angry Ewok

Boink. Edited in some smileys to indicate my good nature.

ktm293

Cool, thanks for all the info and replies, guys!

ktm293

So, do you think the one he's using in the St. David's Church show a CJ-165 or J-185? The J-185 is a jumbo...