Altcountry/Roots Thread

Started by kymoose, Feb 18, 2005, 06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kymoose

O.K., rarely do I ever feel the need to completely endorse an album or artist for that matter (except for the jacket)---however, I have been completely blown away by an album that just came out about 2 months ago.

It's by John Mann and called "Hands On The Pavement."  It conjours up images of Son Volt's Trace--except even more "catchy."  It's almost top-40, but has twang and is a whole lot cooler than Jason Mraz.  The guy can absolutely rip on the 6-string.  The album is getting a lot of air play in Louisville on WFPK.

Anyway thought a lot of you guys may enjoy checking it out----EC, antoniostrohs, etc.

You guys got any other new roots out there?  

Bobby Bare Jr.'s album "From the End of Your Leash" (although over 6 months old) is still blowing my mind away.  I will have to check out that John Mann cd--thanks for the info.

kymoose

Bobby Bare is pretty good--he's opened up for the jacket on several occasions.  I really liked him at the Headliner's January 2003 show--but not as muck at the Lebowski Fest this past June.  I'll check it out.....

EC

Thanks for the tip kymoose.  I will look for it.

yay!

MMJ_fanatic

yeah I have to agree I've been diggin' that Bobby Bare disc for some time now
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

Quoteyeah I have to agree I've been diggin' that Bobby Bare disc for some time now

I don't know him too well, but I really dug him in Nashville.  AND he had a girl bass player/keyboardist.  Bands that are mostly boys that also have a girl, I quite admire.  It has been said to me that guys don't like girls in their band because girls change the dynamic.  So bands that say "fuck it" to that, in my eyes, are rock.