Hey boys and girls!

Started by EC, Feb 21, 2005, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

So I've been a little shy about this, but lately I've decided that it's more important to get over shyness than it is to remain shy.

I have some of my songs at www.medusaproductions.ca if anybody cares to give a listen...

p.s.  It's waaaay better for me if you right click the mp3s and "save as" - it saves on my bandwidth, which they're liable to kill me about soon.  

Bermuda Highway Patrol

You have a sweet voice.  You can sing for me anytime ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

I will second that.  To the sweet voice part.  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

SMc55

Listening to you now. Lovely  :)

whothrewthecake

awesome, awesome, awesome. i really liked "my boy." come play a show in austin, pretty please.

EC

(thanks you guys.  :):):))

so Meg, what's with the Johnny Cash avatar?  are you a huge fan of the Man in Black?...got a story for ya!

Back in '64, my dad was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky (an ominous ode to future residency for me, for sure...) on his way to Vietnam for 2 tours.  (ouch).

On a day off, my pops is in this unnamed honky tonk early in the evening.  The place is empty, save for one guy sitting at the end of the bar.  My old man sits down next to him and asks him if he could buy him a drink.  The man accepts.

The two hit it off and drink for a few hours.  My old man doesn't notice the bar is filling with people as they sit there and drink, but around 9ish the man downs his drink, shakes my dad's hand, and says "hope yer stayin' for the show, friend."

now, my pops is kinda from the sticks so he didn't recognize  the Man in Black, until he walked onstage and started belting out the first song.  I'm guessing it was the singing voice that nailed it for him.

Johnny has always been a favorite for him, and me.  Not necessarily because of that story, but it helps!

EC

Woah.  That is one hell of a story, John.  WOAH!  

I put the JC up there because I was just looking to change it up a bit, and found it on my computer.  I DO love him.  Very, very much.  I was really sad that I never got to see him.

There's a funny story in the MMJ Toronto Soundscapes show.  They played there on the day that Johnny died, and Jim sang "Ring of Fire" a la Johnny.  There wasn't a horn section so Jim just "doot doot doot"ed.  Very funny.  And then he said at the end that he hoped Johnny wasn't looking down on him badly.  

p.s.  Holy SHIT, TWO tours?  Wow.   :-/

wordawg

Hell of a story JC.

Wordawg
the future is Ginger

I always wonder why the hell he didn't get an autograph...but that's okay.

Yup, 2 tours, 1 year each.  To say he's a mess because of it would be an understatement!!

I'm sure Johnny wouldn't look badly on anyone...esp. someone like Jim who has played at a "Cash or Clash" benefit.  Ah memories...

EC

QuoteI always wonder why the hell he didn't get an autograph...but that's okay.
I guess it's one of those things that you might feel weird about - if they've spent the night talking, like two normal people (which was probably really cool for Johnny - I wonder at what moment he realized that your Dad didn't have a clue who he was.  That probably NEVER happened, so he probably really appreciated just talking.) it might be a little weird, after all that, to ask for an autograph.  You maybe wouldn't want to wreck it...

QuoteYup, 2 tours, 1 year each.  To say he's a mess because of it would be an understatement!!
Stuff like that makes me want to smash peoples' teeth in.  

It also remind me - here in Toronto we're doing this thing called Week Without War in March - it commemorates the Iraq invasion, and it's a bunch of artists doing stuff around town in protest of war.  Does anyone else in their town have anything like that going on around the week of March 15th?  It was my understanding that it was a worldwide effort...

I think you're right!

Don't know about March 15th here, but I've heard about other marches around the country.

Not to delve too deeply into politics, but shit is really weird these days with a cease fire in Israel, bloodbath in Iraq, Iran and Syria joining forces, N. Korea having nuclear weapons (big surprise)...aye carumba!

EC

QuoteNot to delve too deeply into politics, but shit is really weird these days with a cease fire in Israel, bloodbath in Iraq, Iran and Syria joining forces, N. Korea having nuclear weapons (big surprise)...aye carumba!
:-[ yep.

lfish

Wow fantastic story John!

Really enjoyed reading it.

About the tours, I can only say... hard times.

I don't wish anybody something like that.
lfish

hey, thanks!  it's all good.  he's still kicking so that's what really matters.  :)

lfish

I almost forget to say anything about the original subject of this thread.  (wouldn't that be cruel?)

Megan,

Just keep on singing.  The world deserves it!

Nice voice and good guitar picking!
lfish

utonynashm

GREAT stuff EC!  

Breath-takingly beautiful!

Keep it up!

corey

Yeah,
Great stuff, but I told you that when I first heard it.
:)

marktwain

;D I second that thumbs up.