House Parties

Started by EC, Feb 22, 2005, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Has anybody ever thrown one of these, or been to one of these?

The deal is that somebody hosts a musician/performer to come to their house and do a private concert, and they invite their friends, and everybody pays a cover, and  you get like a little show in your house.

Apparently they're huge in Austin.  (whothrewthecake?  Ever been to one?)

They sound like a really lovely thing.

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

whothrewthecake

QuoteHas anybody ever thrown one of these, or been to one of these?

The deal is that somebody hosts a musician/performer to come to their house and do a private concert, and they invite their friends, and everybody pays a cover, and  you get like a little show in your house.

Apparently they're huge in Austin.  (whothrewthecake?  Ever been to one?)

They sound like a really lovely thing.

i have had the wonderful opportunity of being to several of these in my lifetime - many good memories. my favorite memory is when we had a birthday party for his uncle at his house, in his backyard, and got this local musician werner zotter, aka the cowboy from vienna, to come play. he plays accordion and sings polka. he sold cds, my whole family and the whole block came, it was wonderful.

sorry for that long rambling story.

anyway, EC, they are terrific!! i've also had some good times attending ones during the holidays on 37th street here, which is this whole street that comes together to decorate. great stuff.

p.s. it's still muggy and warm here.

EC

Quoteaka the cowboy from vienna
I want that man to play in Toronto.  My goodneth!

Okay, well if we get this tour going (and that's a looongshot, and won't happen until at least the summer), then perhaps we'll try Austin, which is, apparently, the town of house parties!

Thanks for the info!!

antoniostrohs

Yea,EC.We have house parties here in Louisville.I've been to three of them.Usually the artist will sell his or her cd's and here they just past a hat around for the cover charge.Of course it's always an acoustic show with artist taking turns playing.I've seen regional artist like Tom House,Danny Schmidt,Tommy Womack and Kathleen Hoye.Sometimes it's indoors or once someone had an outdour tent for shade in the summer.They're pretty fun and a great chance to talk to the performers.

EC

cooool.  These things are sounding more and more appealing.

whothrewthecake

EC, i found something for you. polka rawk!

http://accordion-store.com/wzotter/

he is a really nice man and a good friend to my father and uncle. not to mention a badass on the accordion.

corey

I saw the DBTs play a mostly-acoustic house show last year. I also saw Patterson, Jason and Shonna (before she was a member of the band) play at a house show the year before that.
Good times.

EC

Oh MAN, whothrewthecake - that's so terrific.  Wow.

'wiggum, how did they do that?  Did they get a p.a.?  Was it in a backyard?

corey

When I saw Jason, Patterson, and Shonna, it was inside and they used a little amplification. If I remember correctly, Shonna had her bass running through and amp and the vocal mics were through an amp as well. It was a pretty intimate show, so they didn't really need much amplification.

For the show where the full band played, it was on someone's back porch and the "audience" was in a big-ass field out in the country. Brad only played his snare drum. Cooley and Patterson played acoustic guitars through a PA and Jason played an electric through a little bitty amp.
It was a great, great show.
Oh, and the vocals were running through the PA too.

EC

Wicked!  Thanks, 'wiggum.   :)

(you must've LOVED those parties!!)

corey

primushead

Damn, that must've been incredible.  I'm jealous.

corey

hehe... I just noticed your sig line.
Cooley wasn't supposed to be at the one where they all showed up. It was just going to be the other 4 members. Usually when Jason, Patterson, and Shonna play together like that they call themselves "Summer Cousins". Cooley got to show up at the last minute, so it was a full-on DBT house show. It was awesome... lots of free PBR!
:)