How was your show Megan?

Started by sweatboard, Feb 03, 2005, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

QuoteIt is his sis.... Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see where you played on the 3rd. Where was the show?
It was at the Lula Lounge in Toronto, Canada.  Know it?

dwight

No. Crap. I thought you lived in Louisville...
Silly me.
I'm glad the show went well.
Cya

EC

So tonight I played in a bar called "Reilly's", which is on Yonge Street in what is arguably the grungiest section of the downtown core.  It was the first time I'd been there since 1998 when I finished University.  It hasn't changed.  Oh, except they have some fancy lights, now, and this weird dance floor with a fence around it.  (!)  It's surrounded by a Pizza Pizza, about seventeen strip clubs and a huge record store.

Anyhow, I was playing a set in a big smash up for an upcoming theatre company.  I may just have been the oldest person there.  Which is cool.  I guess.

Someone described this bar quite well "It's like the pit of suburbia in the pit of the city."

I played in the company of four bands, one of which was a cover band who covered Avril Lavigne.  (AND Jane's Addiction.  ???)

Anyhow, it was one of those nights where you just know that your stuff isn't the kind of stuff the crowd is into, and that's cool so you can use it to be "experimental" or whatever.

BUT (and this is the point of this looooong-winded story), I opened with At Dawn, because I like to, and there's less pressure in starting with somebody else's song.  And I said "Hey, does anyone know the band My Morning Jacket?"  And this girl shouted "Oh my god they fucking rock. so hard."  

And then I felt waaaay better.  And I said "I'm gonna start with At Dawn."  And she screamed "Oh my god that is such a wicked song to start with!!"  heh.

And then later in the set I said "Is anyone gonna go to M. Ward tomorrow night?"  And a bunch of people cheered.

yay!

MMJ_fanatic

I played in the company of four bands, one of which was a cover band who covered Avril Lavigne.  (AND Jane's Addiction.  ???)
bizarre mix
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.