Main Menu

U2

Started by primushead, Mar 02, 2005, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

Any u2 fans in here (or non fans) who want to discuss u2 in the present day?  I was a huge fan back in the day...they've made two of the best rock albums ever in my opinion (Joshua tree, Achtung Baby).  But now, I feel they're kind of hypocrits...marketing their songs for the first time in 25 years?  Becoming the official I-tunes "spokesband"?  Have they...dare i say...sold out?  
What ya'll think?

Complainer

I think U2 probably sold out the first time Boner put on his sunglasses and decided to keep them as a second skin.

Take    off     the      glasses.

EC

QuoteI think U2 probably sold out the first time Boner put on his sunglasses and decided to keep them as a second skin.

Take    off     the      glasses.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm laughing so hard at 2 in the morning with my mouth full of chips.  I keep telling myself that it's the image of Bono with his fly-eye glasses and dyed hair.

But no.  It's the fact that you called him Boner.

Drunkre

I found out from a letter to Spin that his nickname used to be Bono Vox (meaning, "good voice").  I think I used to have a Boy poster on my bedroom wall (maybe it was War).  I think Unforgettable Fire was a terrific album, as was the maligned Rattle and Hum.  I think I stopped paying much attention to them around Achtung Baby.  I also think that sometimes bands mature and grow beyond our expectations; take on characteristics that we aren't so comfortable with.  I like what the guitarist for The Cult said after Sonic Temple came out.  "We're accused of selling out by the 'college music' crowd.  What the fuck does 'college music' mean?"  I'll agree that bands that unabashedly change midstream in an effort to sell more albums can suck a fat dick (e.g. Metallica); I'd also stress that often our definition of sell out can be strange (e.g. Justin Timberlake; Beyonce; etc...these people have never changed for anything; they're in it for the money from the get go; therefore, they can't be sellouts).  I don't think U2 are sellouts; I also don't think I'll ever buy another one of their albums.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

dogandponyshow

I think the new ablum is below average....I think the last album and the DVD that came out with it are outstanding.  The DVD is amazing in both sounds and editing.  THey have had some duds....POP was a bust even thought there are some good songs.  Zooropa was a waste of money.  But discs like War, Achtung Baby, THe Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are classics.  They have been around a long time and have put out many great tunes.  THink they have earned their due...

D.

The_Link

after zooropa, i think that was it, i lost interest in them.  they are like the Aerosmith of what was a higher level of quality.  just my opinion.  peace.

MMJ_fanatic

I like U2, and I don't give a shit what Bono thinks is cool to wear, obviously I like the raw sound of the earlier stuff a bit more but its all decent.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Gripe

The name "Complainer" was bugging me, so I thought I'd do a 360 and go with Gripe. Obviously, this name may change.

QuoteI like U2, and I don't give a shit what Bono thinks is cool to wear

I can't say it keeps me up at night or anything but it does kind of seem silly to me when rock stars can't get over their affectations. HOWEVER, I think Boner has a phenomenal voice, and I find myself liking The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum more than I care to admit. I even remember being rather internally flooded with beer and singing (at the top of my lungs, I might add) Van Diemen's Land and All I Want Is You (which really doesn't warrant extreme volume) on a beach one night, much to the dismay of every living thing possessing the ability to hear.

EC

QuoteI even remember being rather internally flooded with beer and singing (at the top of my lungs, I might add) Van Diemen's Land and All I Want Is You (which really doesn't warrant extreme volume) on a beach one night
Ah ha ha, I've done that many times.  It's wicked.

primushead

I've never thought of Van Diemans Land as much of a 'get drunk and sing it out loud' type thing...but i haven't tried it yet.  I guess i know what I'm doing tonight!

EC

QuoteI've never thought of Van Diemans Land as much of a 'get drunk and sing it out loud' type thing...but i haven't tried it yet.  I guess i know what I'm doing tonight!
Being on a beach is key.  Especially if there is a fire and it's not too cold to swim.

primushead

Well, thanks for the advice:)

Jellyfish

U2 is the most overrated band in the history of music.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

primushead

I don't think they're overrated.  They were definitely one of the most influential bands of the 80's and certainly one of the biggest live acts of all time.  But, I can see where you're coming from though.  I think they are overrated nowadays, just for the fact that they get so much attention - mainly because they've been together for so long.  

MMJ_fanatic

They have definitely evolved and I am glad to see there is a group of celebs (U2) who use their voices for worthy causes

EC

QuoteThey have definitely evolved and I am glad to see there is a group of celebs (U2) who use their voices for worthy causes

That's definitely true, fanatic.  That part is wicked.

tomEisenbraun

I used ot hate U2, but Bono has grown on me, and i think "Where the Streets Have No Name" is one of the most beautiful songs ever. That said, i shoudl defintley buy mro eof their albums.

However, I find his political agenda a little funny, but also quite sincere. I think it's funny how he can have so much influence, for no better reason than he's a multi-million dollar singer. But it's cool that he's using what he's got to help out those who don't have much.

Alos funny, is a song but this frickin rockin band, Clutch. It's called "Army of Bono". Check it out. It's ont heir album Blast Tyrant. Good stuff.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MMJ_fanatic

Unforgettable Fire has long been my fave by them--lots of memories tied to that album 8) :D ;D

EC

QuoteHowever, I find his political agenda a little funny, but also quite sincere. I think it's funny how he can have so much influence, for no better reason than he's a multi-million dollar singer. But it's cool that he's using what he's got to help out those who don't have much.

I know what you mean, Eisey - but he came from someplace before all this happened.  U2 have always been fairly political, or at least Bono has, and what I find cool is that he's still talking about the same stuff that he was before - even now.  This is one of the many reasons I love Neil Young.  Dude's still a hippie.  I mean, as much as you can still be one when you're a multi-millionaire.  

SmoothOprtr

You would have a very hard time convincing me that there is a single band who have maintained as consistent a level of quality as U2 has over the last 25 years.  They have had some ups and downs, but even there low points weren't as bad as some are projecting here.  They've attempted to reinvent themselves, but unlike Metallica as was suggested earlier, they did not do it to sell more albums... Zooropa and Pop are generally considered amoung there worst albums, and didn't help them sell more records then if had they kept doing the same thing....I'm sick of hearing the Vertigo riff every time I turn on the TV, and don't understand why at this point in there career- when they might be the most popular band in the world that they needed to go this corporate route.  Overall though, I think U2 is one of the greatest rock bands of all time.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women