Jim, Conor, M. Ward = Traveling Wilburys????

Started by Cameron, Feb 25, 2008, 06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brkndwnbus

Quote i've meant to get cassadaga but still haven't.

Don't waste your time. I can't get into that album no matter how hard I try. I used to be really, really into Bright Eyes, but that was 7 years ago in high school...once college hit, M.Ward and MMJ knocked Mr. Oberst down a few pegs on my list....but anyhow, "Fevers and Mirrors" has some real good stuff. His rare songs are real strong compared to some albums tracks.

Jon T.

i wouldn't call conor oberst emo.  and i always thought that emo was emotional punk...

anyhow, i think he might have been a pioneer of the term, but i wouldn't put him there anymore.  i saw bright eyes live at massey hall a couple of years ago and it was great.

I think that is where emo started with punk.  It has changed over the years I guess.  Hell, I mainly just talk outta my ass.  I think Fugazi was even considered emo at one point.  I love Fugazi but I hate what is considered emo today.

On a side note, I once saw a shirt that read, "I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself".

;D

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Ghosts_on_TV

I dunno, you can't really deny Conor in my opinion. And Bright Eyes is not "emo" as well. Cassadaga is not his best, but there are some strong songs on it. No one would riot for less is one of the best songs he has ever written.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

easy jim

i wouldn't call conor oberst emo.  and i always thought that emo was emotional punk...

anyhow, i think he might have been a pioneer of the term, but i wouldn't put him there anymore.  i saw bright eyes live at massey hall a couple of years ago and it was great.

I think that is where emo started with punk.  It has changed over the years I guess.  Hell, I mainly just talk outta my ass.  I think Fugazi was even considered emo at one point.  I love Fugazi but I hate what is considered emo today.

On a side note, I once saw a shirt that read, "I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself".

;D

I've seen a member of this forum WEAR that shirt...and the most militant of emo's couldn't break his pinky if he tried! ;D ;D
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

easy jim

I love Conor's country twang on many of his songs (i.e. Well Whiskey and others) and that influence would be great for the trio.
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

The Big Come Up

Jim James       =   George Harrison
M. Ward          =   Bob Dylan
Conor Oberst  =   Roy Orbison?

then I would add...
Ben Gibbard    =   Tom Petty

ycartrob

QuoteJim James       =   George Harrison

then I would add...

Jeff Lynne?

Yatz

then I would add...

Only problem is that Ben Gibbard is a hack.  How about Damien Jurado?  
[url="//www.myspace.com/travistalbert"]www.myspace.com/travistalbert[/url]

tomEisenbraun

Well.... Andrew Bird is obviously Jeff Lynne.

I'm thinkin that our Petty may actually need to be Tweedy?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

DaFunkyPrecedent

then I would add...

I thought the same thing...except the Ben Gibbard Part...
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

its good to see a folk revival though!  hope people catch on.  It cool too, there's thousand of die hard Jacket, thousands of Bright Eyes and thusands of M. Ward fans.  They will be very well accepted...Very well
God damn those shaky knees.

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...