Jim, Conor, M. Ward = Traveling Wilburys????

Started by Cameron, Feb 25, 2008, 06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

In the new issue of Rolling Stone it says on p. 15:

"My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Conor Oberst and singer-songwriter M. Ward are writing and recording songs together in a Traveling Wilburys-style sopergroup."

Anyone else know any details?

aMD

QuoteIn the new issue of Rolling Stone it says on p. 15:

"My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Conor Oberst and singer-songwriter M. Ward are writing and recording songs together in a Traveling Wilburys-style sopergroup."

Anyone else know any details?

I think that's all there is to be known at this point.  Perhaps we'll get another round of the Monster of Folks tours!!

KC

wow i am stoked to see this from a reputable source. cant wait.
[url="http://37flood.com"]http://37flood.com[/url]

ChiefOKONO

nice but what exactly is a 'sopergroup' ??

aMD

Quotenice but what exactly is a 'sopergroup' ??

Here's a take on what "supergroups" are.  Not sure about "sopergroup", I'm guessing it's a typo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_(bands)

realdeal

Why do people like Bright Eyes? The guy freaks me out and that emo shit is way over the top.

aMD

QuoteWhy do people like Bright Eyes? The guy freaks me out and that emo shit is way over the top.

unfortunately, I agree with realdeal.  :-[

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteWhy do people like Bright Eyes? The guy freaks me out and that emo shit is way over the top.

unfortunately, I agree with realdeal.  :-[

There is some Bright Eyes stuff you would probably like.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BH

Not that this means everything, but how could Jim James, M. Ward, Mike Mogis, Britt Daniels, Jenny Lewis, Janet Weiss, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, David Rawilings all be wrong?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

megalicious

i used to think bright eyes was pretty emo, but really gave it a fair listen and am now a pretty big fan.

i can't wait to hear what this "supregroup" puts out.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

ellisintransit

Yeah, I think the Bright Eyes "emo" thing is a bit old at this point.  No offense to you realdeal.  If you've given up on him based on his output in the eazrly 2000s, give his last couple of albums a try.  He's added many more influences into his music.  But yeah, with collaborators like Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, Emmylou Harris, M. Ward, Jim James, and Gruff Rhys, he's clearly risen above the "emo" tag.

Prom King

sweet sweet shit. i can not wait for this studio album/tour. i like.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback"]http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback[/url]

red

I've tried a few times to get into Bright Eyes, but just can't.  I really like one song, but that's about it.  

Maybe I'm not starting at the right point, any suggestions to sway my vote?

Still excited for this though.

aMD

I'm not sure I know what "emo" refers to, but I wish it were just jim and m.

BH

I guess I don't know what emo is because I always thought it was folk music.  Again I don't have anything old but I love "I'm wide awake, It's morning."

Ask mjkoehler about Conor, he loves him.     ;) ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

In its broadest definition it is short for emotional.  I think it started as being a label for music but it has grown into a style.  I guess not unlike alternative or grunge in the 90's.  The music, I think is best described as self loathing.  Just screaming (screamo) or wailing away into a microphone about how miserable life is.  Remember this is a very broad definition. I'm not a Bright Eyes fan because of this.  His whiney voice.  But I haven't heard them in a long time either.  I was just so turned off by it I'm not sure I can get over it.  Needless to say, I'm not an emo fan.  

Think this guy...

The DARK

Conor's got a very different lyrical style from JJ and M Ward. He uses much more stark, serious imagery, a far cry from the peace of our two heroes. I'm interested in seeing how they balance each other out (maybe we'll get more gems like Chinese Translation!) but I think Conor might actually be a good match.

I'm not a big fan of Bright Eyes (except for Four Winds and At the Bottom of Everything), but I respect what he does and his songwriting skill.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Cameron

sorry for the typo in the original post.  i guess i was excited.  

i hated bright eyes before i saw the MOF tour.  i'm still not a big fan but it is great when the 3 of them play together.

EC

Maybe I'm not starting at the right point, any suggestions to sway my vote?
i really like "i'm wide awake, it's morning"
i'll be honest that i bought it b/c jim sings on in.  but then i loved it.  i had "lifted, or the story is in the soil, keep your ear to the ground" but couldn't ever get into it.  i've meant to get cassadaga but still haven't.

i wouldn't call conor oberst emo.  and i always thought that emo was emotional punk...

anyhow, i think he might have been a pioneer of the term, but i wouldn't put him there anymore.  i saw bright eyes live at massey hall a couple of years ago and it was great.