Main Menu

The Band

Started by Drunkre, Mar 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkre

Not really sure if this has ever been a topic for a thread before, but I just bought a cd of theirs at the store the other day (not the first album I've ever bought by them, that would be After The Flood, a double live album with Dylan) and thought it might be interesting to see what anybody else thinks about them.  
Does Levon Helm have the greatest singing voice ever?
What the fuck happened between Robertson and the rest of the group?
How is it that a bunch of Canadians have recorded some of the best Americana style music (e.g. "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down;" "Up On Cripple Creek;" "The Shape I'm In;" etc.) ever?
While we're on that subject, is The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down the greatest song ever recorded?
Discuss.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

EC

QuoteHow is it that a bunch of Canadians have recorded some of the best Americana style music (e.g. "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down;" "Up On Cripple Creek;" "The Shape I'm In;" etc.) ever?

Well, we all share the Americas!  A lot of roots music is from the original folks who came over from the other side of the world - some came here, too.  In fact, I did a little project a few years ago where I tried to listen to as many field recordings of folk music that I could, and found that most of the songs were very similar - just varied according to area, in order to be specific.

Plus, we rock up here.  :D

whothrewthecake

the band is among my top 5 all time favorites. no doubt about it. levon is amazing, but they are all amazing in their own way, and it is truly spectacular that such a talented group of players ever existed.

a good read for the band lore is "this wheel's on fire" by levon, but it is fairly one-sided. you can balance it out by watching the last waltz, which is kind of a robbie showcase. but both are excellent! i just think it's crazy how they can play a song like dixie down and i really believe they are from the civil war.

sometimes i hear echoes of the band in mmj. or maybe i just feel the same spirit or something. i don't know, either way, ROCK ON!  ;D

Jellyfish

I would go as far to say that they were the best southern rock band of all time.

If you don't have the Last Waltz DVD...get it!
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

harristrensky

I have debated it for a while, but yes "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is the best song ever.  I can say I have probably listened to that song hundreds of times.  Its a song that has stuck with me and spawned many sleepless nights. That song and "Up on Cripple Creek" are without a doubt their best. (That may be a bias statement because I was born and raised in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Didn't know a Bessie though.)  But yeh as far as bands are concerned, they are definately up there. Levon has one of the warmest and most nastalgic voices I have ever heard.  This voice is up there with Willie and Hank. Need I even mention how much of a badass Danko is? Watch 'Festival Express.' He drunkenly serenades janis joplin on the train! I mean his little "Crazy Chester" verse in 'the weight' is one of my favorite sing-along parts ever. Robbie Robertson, hmmmmmmmmmm.  I listened to some of his solo albums once and though I did indian culture and Native America, I can't get into it. I will try in one again soon. I went to Books A Million today to pick up that magazine but they didn't have it.  Thats what I get for not picking it up in New Orleans. (DBT DVD out tommorow. (Listen to 'Danko/Manuel' by DBT.))
I was a big old bear once.

marktwain

I got hooked on the Band through 'Before the Flood,' as well.  I got turned onto Dylan in 8th grade, and I think I got that album in 9th.  I was totally blown away by how the Band upstaged my (then) hero!

I've been listening to quite a bit of the basement tapes lately.  Love Orange Juice Blues, Aint no More Cane, Long Distance Operator, Yazoo St Scandal -- jsut amazing!  Bessie Smith is an all-time favorite

And I, too, recommend This Wheels on Fire - best rock bio I've read.  

For more footage of the band, get Festival Express!

Zmog1974

born and bred listening to this stuff...im only 31 and this music takes me back to when i was a kid along with Leon Russell who i have been getting into alot again lately...check him out. Also who remembers Robbie's "somewhere down the crazy river"...with Bono?

i love all there voices but i think Danko's was my favourite i also loved Evageline with Emmylou from the Last Waltz.

MMJ_fanatic

perhaps the greatest roots rock n' blues band ever produced by the states.  "Rock of Ages" is a desert island disc for me
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

Quoteperhaps the greatest roots rock n' blues band ever produced by the states.

I know that when you say "produced", you mean produced like records, because those boys were produced up here!!

Word.  :)

marktwain

I know that when you say "produced", you mean produced like records, because those boys were produced up here!!

Hey!  The South can still claim Levon!

EC

Yes.  The South produced Levon.  (and Ronnie, too, I think?)

That's true.  :)

whothrewthecake

maybe when i meet levon this saturday night (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) at his concert i will tell him that people are still talking about his awesomeness.

EC

Quotemaybe when i meet levon this saturday night (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) at his concert i will tell him that people are still talking about his awesomeness.

Oh my god is that this weekend!  WOMAN!  That is so wicked.  It must be very hard to have it be only Wednesday.  Woah.  

whothrewthecake

Oh my god is that this weekend!  WOMAN!  That is so wicked.  It must be very hard to have it be only Wednesday.  Woah.  

EC, i really can't believe it. when i got my ticket confirmation, they said to bring a flag from your state for levon to hang in his barn. so i've got my texas flag in tow. my friend from texarkana, tx is taking postcards that have a man pulling a donkey that say "i'm in texas, but my ass is in arkansas." good ole southern boy levon might like that.

MMJ_fanatic

awright if ya wanna be technical...Levon and Ronnie are from the US tho' ;)

marktwain

Good thing Canadians are technical; they can see through the holes in Bush's missile defense system.

And good thing they rock: Neil Young, the Band, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Dylan's from Minnesota - that's basically Canada, isn't it?  And (I just found this out) Robert Friggin' Goulet!!

marktwain

EC

That's it.  I want to marry Will Farrell.  

MMJ_fanatic

even with his back hair issue?

EC

Quoteeven with his back hair issue?

I could give a shit about stuff like that.  Bring it on!!  :)