RIP Muleskinner...

Started by johnconaway, Mar 29, 2005, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Breaker breaker 19...this here is the Muleskinner signing off.  Gotta go race cars in the sky...

Seriously though, my dad John Sr. passed away last Wednesday at age 63 of a heart attack.  He was a hard man, but he was a good man.

He enjoyed hunting and guns.  He enjoyed fast cars and Kool cigarettes and strong coffee.  He loved his country enough to serve two tours in Vietnam in 1964-45.  He was a lifelong cynic of the government and a lifelong Union man.  He worked for 34 years at the Clariton Steel Works in Clariton, Pennsylvania as a millwright.  He was extremely tolerant and intolerant at the same time.  He loved his wife and his family enough to work double shifts to keep us afloat.  He loved his hunting dogs and he loved good music.  

The funniest thing of all time about John Sr. was that his favorite band of all time was...are you ready?...

A Flock of Seagulls

He loved their music so much.  I don't know how a man like I just described connected with a the Seagulls, but man did he love 'em.

So here's to you, old man.  May the afterlife be filled with fast cars and good coffee and endless smoke breaks with the almighty.

love,
johnny
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

corey

I'm sorry to hear that, man.
I lost my grandmother the Wednesday before last. She was 96, and lived a very healthy life until the last several months of her life.

Hope you're doing OK.

SMc55

So sorry to hear your sad news John. Thinking about you.
Susan

marktwain

John,

I'm truly sorry to hear about your father's passing.  It sounds like he took full advantage of those 63 years on the earth.  May he enjoy the afterlife at least as much.  My prayers are with you and your family.

EC

Wow - that's a nice testament, John.  

I've always really liked the Johnny Cash story (and, in fact, have told it a few times.  heh.)  But I'm very much enjoying the Flock of Seagulls bit.  (That's just really wicked.)

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad - it sounds like it was unexpected and shocking, and pretty early.  I hope you guys are hanging in okay.  We're all thinking about you.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Thanks for the love, y'all.  This has been a gruelling month or two.  Good thing we have the baby, all of us.  It really did buoy our spirits to have Amelia bringing everyone so much joy.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

all the best to you and your family john...

wordawg

Sorry for your loss JC.
the future is Ginger

dogandponyshow

Sorry to hear about your father....I saw the Flock in Seattle at the Paramount with The Fixx.  I have to say they were pretty darn good.  Much better than I expected.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

John--deepest condolences man, my mom left ~4 years ago and it still tough thinking about.  but it's the thinking about them that keeps them in your life too so its all good.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SmoothOprtr

The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Oz

You wrote him a great speech. I was moved and actually laughed about the Flock of Seagulls bit. All the best, mate.
I'm ready when you are

The Boar

Very sorry to hear of your loss, John. The cycle of life, birth and death, and all that. My prayers are with you and your father.

andrew